DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

TOTWL: Before and After

Just curious if the new "test" policy regarding allowing all DVC members, not just those staying at BLT, has had a significant impact upon crowds up there. Anyone been up there under the old rules and new rules that is able to offer any input on how, if at all, things are different?

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtoastyman View Post
Just curious if the new "test" policy regarding allowing all DVC members, not just those staying at BLT, has had a significant impact upon crowds up there. Anyone been up there under the old rules and new rules that is able to offer any input on how, if at all, things are different?
Based upon my reading of others' posts, I would say crowds have increased to a very moderate degree.

Single before/after experiences are a little dicey because we'll never know if either of those experiences is typical. I've read posts from members who think crowds are noticeably larger while others see no change at all.

Anything can happen on a given day but I can't envision large crowds of members regularly flocking to BLT for the fireworks. DVC has publicly stated that members cannot park at BLT. So you either need to take Disney buses (to MK then 5-10 min walk to BLT) or park at the TTC and use the monorail. My personal take is that if most folks are going to venture that far, they'll just go into the park to view the fireworks.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
rwcmath
DIS Veteran

They are coming from other resorts. I was at BLT in August and heard members from other resorts tell the CM who was letting them up which resort they were staying at. I was in the lobby waiting for DH to show up for about an hour and saw about 4 groups from other resorts go up.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
barrysprot36
Mouseketeer

It was definitely busier in July than the previous times we have visited. There were a lot more people that arrived just to see Wishes plus more in the lounge itself. Before when we have been the lounge has only had a few tables being used, in July they were all used. Plus, our server said they have noticed a marked increase.

Caron

Aug '97 ~ DLP Sequia Lodge
Aug '02 ~ WDW Indian Ridge Villa
Aug '03 ~ DLP Newport Bay
July '04 ~ CBR
July '06 ~ CR, RPR, AKL
Aug '07 ~ CBR, Poly, free DDP
Aug '08 ~ POFQ, BCV, GF,
May '09 ~ WL CL Aug '09 ~ OKW, VB, SSR, BLT Dec '09 ~ Pop, OKW, BLT, CR Atrium & BCV
May '10 ~ Pop, POR & OKW Aug '10 ~ CSR, RPR & BLT Oct '10 ~ BWV, AKV & BLT
May '11 ~ Sunset Lakes Villa & Vero Beach
July'12 ~ BCV, BLT & Sunset Lakes Villa
Nov'12 ~ DLP Newport Bay
April'13 ~ Pop, RPR & BLT August'13 ~ BLT & OKW
May'14 ~ VGF & Kidani September'14 ~ WBTA, RPR & BLT
barrysprot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
. My personal take is that if most folks are going to venture that far, they'll just go into the park to view the fireworks.
my guess would be it will be very popular during the MNSSHP and MVMCP. when we stayed at BLT on points in sept. we didn't buy the hard ticket for the MNSSHP. and watche d the Hallowwishes from TOWL

(OMG! I feel like I overloaded everyone on acronyms!!!)

I agree that if you aren't staying at a monorail resort you might as well view the fireworks from inside the park..

but sometimes you dont have tickets. our first visit ever, .. back in 92 or 93? our "super duper tickets" didn't kick in till the next day, so we took the kids on a ride on the monorail(bus from CBR to MK) to the poly beach, and watched the fireworks and electric water pagaent from there... a great start for our vacation!!! .(. now they are 30 and 33.. weep weep , cry cry cry.. )

oh, I digress.. ... yes.. I think most DVC members would rather view the fireworks from the park, after the hassle of getting over there... ..EXCEPT>>

when there are special hard ticketed events. I think this fall and winter season will see many more attendees at the TOWL for the special hallowwishes and Christmas wishes.
Paranthetical aside:
I have worked at bars and restaurants for MANY years... I would charge a minimum. DVC owner or not.. you want to view the fireworks? pay a minimum, reddemable for soft drinks, cocktails, food, etc.

Last edited by smidgy; 09-25-2012 at 09:19 PM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

Interesting, thanks for the input. It doesn't sound like it is getting so busy that BLT folks are getting locked out? Assuming that to be the case, I suppose if it helps keep the lounge open, I'm on board. It was a favorite place of ours on our last trip to unwind at the end of the day and have a cocktail, would hate to lose that.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysprot36 View Post
Before when we have been the lounge has only had a few tables being used, in July they were all used.
That just goes to illustrate how crowds have always varied from one day to another. When we stayed at BLT and visited the lounge 2 years ago, all of the tables were taken but it was still not anything I would call crowded.

The consensus is that crowds are up a bit on average, but not to any level that is causing folks to be turned away.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

sorry - when I was there just watched the fireworks from my room - for some reason the TV did not play the music...

if the TOWL is busy will miss the times when only a few of us were up there for the fireworks....

still wish that DVC would open it to everyone staying at the BLT - dvc members or not. then would think the lounge would do a better business.

when you have to take the monorial then drive or take a bus back to your resort - how likely are you to drink more than one drink.....

now agree about the lounge if guests are coming into it and not ordering - then yes a fee should be imposed on these guests.

but if they only going to the deck not the lounge (which you can do) - then no fee.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

I booked BLT for my upcoming trip based on my ability to go to the TOTWL. Then they changed the rule to allow all DVC up there. If I had known that I would be allowed to go up there, I would have saved several points and stayed somewhere else.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

write to DVC or email and tell them.

otherwise like other stuff DVC - it is first come first get it.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

We went to TOTWL in late July & it was the most crowded I'd ever seen it. Many more people than when we'd stayed at BLT a few summers ago.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
mac_tlc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduck123 View Post
We went to TOTWL in late July & it was the most crowded I'd ever seen it. Many more people than when we'd stayed at BLT a few summers ago.
Our experience in August was similar. At the most crowded, about 20 minutes before the fireworks, the people were four deep at the bar and all tables taken plus people outside. We went twice that week and loved it. We did specifically go to BLT to have a few drinks and watch the fireworks. We would not have wanted to go into the park to watch -- way too many people and a hassle getting out.

BTW, we told the security guard we were going to the TOWL, and we parked at BLT, both times. That parking lot is plenty big enough to handle it, especially the area that extends to the north.

We will be at BLT in December, but we would definitely go back if we were at another resort.

mac_tlc
'97 OKW (2), VB , '98 OKW(2), VB
'99 WL, OKW(2) , '00 OKW (2), Magic, VB
'01 DLR (DH), VWL, BWV, Magic
’02 OKW, DLR (DH), Magic (11/30 - NOT), CS , '03 OKW, Magic (11/8), VWL,
'04 CS, OKW (2), '05 OKW, '06 SSR, OKW , '07 VWL, OKW (3), VB
'08 DLR (GC), OKW, '09 SSR, BLT,OKW(3)
'10 AKV, BLT (DD wedding) , '11 OKW, SSR, BLT , '12 VGC, FW, BLT, '13 BLT
mac_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

We have stayed the same time period as now for the past 2 years- we always stay the Mon-Wed before food and wine start for DH's birthday. Last night when we went up to the lounge it was significantly more crowded than in the past. There were not as many people out at fireworks as I have seen in the past but there were definitely more people ordering food and beverages. I would also have to say that in addition to before the fireworks we also stayed for about 1/2 and hour afterwards and it was more crowded then I had ever seen the lounge after fireworks- even when we have been here Thanksgiving week. So I would have to guess that more members from other places are coming over and using the lounge. We aren't on the parking lot side so we have not seen a lot of cars leaving after the fireworks- but I don't know if they have been or not. We have not had trouble finding a parking spot after our early dinners- coming in between 6-7pm.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
allymouse
Mouseketeer

I will be staying at SSR next month but I'm renting points through a broker. Do you have to show your room key or a DVC card? I have heard conflicting reports.

Thanks!
allymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
allymouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymouse View Post
I will be staying at SSR next month but I'm renting points through a broker. Do you have to show your room key or a DVC card? I have heard conflicting reports.

Thanks!
As a follow up... since I am renting, will my card say DVC member on it?
allymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: