Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Embarkation Day Plan - Should we swim before lunch? (and other ??s)

Two adults, first cruise, and loving the help I get here! I have some more questions/advice for embarkation day.

1. Our plan right now is to arrive at 10:45 - 11:00am and hope to be on board by 12:30. Is that realistic?

2. What time does the Aquaduck open? Would it be a good idea to ride and swim first, and then eat lunch later?

3. What time does enchanted gardens close for lunch? We planned on eating here instead of cabanas.

4. If we're on by 12:30, and swim and stuff til 1:30, we could possibly get into our cabin, change, and return for lunch at Enchanted Gardens at 2:00pm. Or is that just crazy?

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
ohboyx3
DIS Veteran

Subscribing because I want to know all off this too. We leave Sunday. I want to swim and enjoy the aqua duck, but don't want the buffet to be picked over as I have heard happens.

January 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
January 2008 Port Orleans Riverside

May 2011 All Star Music Family Suites
Disney Cruise aboard the Dream October 2012
October 2013 Fort Wilderness Cabins
ohboyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
erionm
DIS Veteran

First question, what port arrival time did you select when you completed your on-line check-in?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

We had an 11:00 arrival time, but we arrived at 10:40 and the port was already hopping with people. We were on board by 11:30 and the Aqua Duck did not open until noon. We had originally planned to ride on it first, but since we still had 30 minutes we decided to eat lunch at Cabanas first. We have 3 kids so lunch takes us a while. We were done with lunch around 12:20 but by then the Aqua Duck line was already pretty long. I think we waited 30-45 minutes in line.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

OP, are you scheduled for main dining or late? If you're scheduled to have dinner at 5:45, I wouldn't want to have a huge lunch at 2 p.m. Maybe a snack?

Also, the sit-down lunch at EG will fill up quickly, so other passengers have to go to Cabanas or fast food. It's hard to predict whether 2 p.m. at the EG will be do-able. Just play it by ear. I don't like to over-plan stuff -- my first priority when getting onboard is to just relax, check-out the view from the verandah, and people watch. If the pools and Aquaduck are full, you can go explore the ship.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yes, your arrival plan is totally reasonable depending on your mode of transportation and your terminal arrival time (which relates to your boarding number). Still totally do-able.

Aquaduck will be open on arrival. Ride now or later--well, you'll want to take care of any needed reservations first. And then, if you do the duck, you'll be wet and not have room access to change till 1:30. I prefer to do all the "necessaries" first, then have lunch. After that, there is time for the water and I'll be in the room by the time I'm ready to change clothes (sorry, dressing in a public restroom is not optimal in my book!) Remember to have swimsuits under your clothing or in your carry on, and you may want your water shoes as well (the deck is HOT).

Enchanted Garden closed at 2 on our cruise (must be seated by 2).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Yes, your arrival plan is totally reasonable depending on your mode of transportation and your terminal arrival time (which relates to your boarding number). Still totally do-able.

Aquaduck will be open on arrival. Ride now or later--well, you'll want to take care of any needed reservations first. And then, if you do the duck, you'll be wet and not have room access to change till 1:30. I prefer to do all the "necessaries" first, then have lunch. After that, there is time for the water and I'll be in the room by the time I'm ready to change clothes (sorry, dressing in a public restroom is not optimal in my book!) Remember to have swimsuits under your clothing or in your carry on, and you may want your water shoes as well (the deck is HOT).

Enchanted Garden closed at 2 on our cruise (must be seated by 2).
I totally agree with this. If swimming & relaxing at the pool is number one for you, then I would get the fast food & bring it to the pool of your choice. We never bother with swimming on the first day. We like to have a nice lunch on the deck outside at Cabanas, then just explore the ship. If you have late seating you'll have plenty of opportunity of riding the aquaduck with practically no lines.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Thanks everyone. Getting excited picturing our embarkation and boarding!

To answer a couple questions. We do have late seating. Also, our port arrival time is 11:00 and we will be arriving by rental car. We'll be coming from WDW.

I do like the sound of relaxing and exploring when we get on board - but really don't like waiting in line. (We're those crazy people who make rope drop every morning and have to get on that most popular ride first thing...LOL).

I guess a better question for all this would be...what are the usual hours of the aquaduck?
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety View Post
I guess a better question for all this would be...what are the usual hours of the aquaduck?
Reasonably early morning till late at night. In fact, if for any reason you decide to skip a show, this is a great time to ride (no lines). Reality--my longest wait on the Fantasy was under 20 minutes; most of the time it was under 10. That basically means by the time I climbed the endless staircase, it was almost my turn.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
acceber32
Mouseketeer

DH rode the aquaduck after 1 on embarkation day and didn't wait but maybe 10 minutes (this was two weeks ago). We got to port at 11, were given boarding #6 and sitting down eating lunch by 12. Your plan sounds very doable (although I don't know about EG since we ate at Cabanas).
acceber32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
dibond38
Mouseketeer

Embarkation

1. Our plan right now is to arrive at 10:45 - 11:00am and hope to be on board by 12:30. Is that realistic?

Our port arrival time was 12:30. We arrived at 11:30 and walked through te entire process and were on board before 12:00.

2. What time does the Aquaduck open? Would it be a good idea to ride and swim first, and then eat lunch later?

My daughter and I wore our swimsuits under our clothes and were riding the Aquaduck by 12:10. No line and it was awesome.

3. What time does enchanted gardens close for lunch? We planned on eating here instead of cabanas.

Enchanted Garden closed at 2pm

4. If we're on by 12:30, and swim and stuff til 1:30, we could possibly get into our cabin, change, and return for lunch at Enchanted Gardens at 2:00pm. Or is that just crazy?

The ropes for the cabins did not drop until exactly 1:30. You could make it if you are fast. You could also change in a restroom and then proceed down to lunch.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Phil'sFrontier
DIS Veteran

I remember on our embarkation day me and DD went to ride the Aquaduck. We were about twenty five people from the ride and someone(s) got STUCK in the long flat part! For some reason it took them forty minutes to start the ride up after that. All I could think of was Homer Simpson getting stuck in the water slide.
Be prepared for chaos whatever you do that day is the device I would give you.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
ohboyx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sFrontier
I remember on our embarkation day me and DD went to ride the Aquaduck. We were about twenty five people from the ride and someone(s) got STUCK in the long flat part! For some reason it took them forty minutes to start the ride up after that. All I could think of was Homer Simpson getting stuck in the water slide.
Be prepared for chaos whatever you do that day is the device I would give you.
I REALLY wish I had it read this!!! Now I'm afraid to ride! Lol

January 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
January 2008 Port Orleans Riverside

May 2011 All Star Music Family Suites
Disney Cruise aboard the Dream October 2012
October 2013 Fort Wilderness Cabins
ohboyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
chateau
DIS Veteran

It's easy to tell who uses talk to text. The oopsies are funny!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: