Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
Zebbie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
What does "sanctioned by Disney" mean? Does Disney endorse or advertise this? No. And I don't believe the service provider claims that they do. Disney also doesn't endorse people buying merchandise to sell on eBay, making gift bags for delivery to hotel rooms or cruise ships ... or lots of other services people talk about on the Dis all the time. And I, for one, am glad they do, because I've found some good things/services that way. As long as the service provider isn't breaking any Disney rules, and to my knowledge they are not in this instance, what's the problem?

Disney (apparently) allows, and even encourages (based on what I've read), people to save spots/put down blankets/stake out viewing positions. How would they "liberate" this one spot, without eliminating space-saving altogether? (Which they could, and I might argue, probably should, do.)

Should they ask for DNA tests or proof of relationship to allow reserving space? Should adopted or step-parents bring birth certificates and marriage licenses to prove they are saving space for family members only? Should friends have to show photographic history of a long-standing relationship to be allowed to be the holder or holdee? Ridiculous? Definitely. But so is worrying about one guy (or even 20 guys) offering a FastPass runner or space-saving service.

If it becomes an issue where it impacts guest experience or Disney's bottom line--for example, every Fantasmic viewing spot is being held by rented props for every showing--I guarantee Disney will do something about it.

As I can't imagine this effecting anyone else at all even slightly negatively, I have no idea why anyone would take the time to get even vaguely worked up about it. To each their own. I personally choose to put close to zero energy into worrying/wondering about what anyone else is doing with their time or money ... At Disney or anywhere else.

For somebody who states they do not have a strong opinion either way, you seem to have taken a side.

I personally do see this as a potential problem in Disneyland. Sure, one guy getting paid to save a spot on a blanket for a family... no biggie. But what comes next? People holding there place in line? People charging for table spaces in crowded seating areas? While it has not happened yet, if it does become financially viable I could see it happening. While I could debate this, it would just open a larger can of worms. Which is not the intent of my post.

However that being said, it is sort of Disney's fault for not making much better seating arrangements for 2 very big shows. The fact that people are having to line up 3 hours ahead of a show that lasts 20 mins long. Then having to stand or pay money to sit is kind of crazy. While I loved the shows! I hated both experience's. So I can see a huge potential for this kind of business.
Zebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
dmband
DIS Veteran

Not saying I agree or disagree with some of the practices talked about in this thread or others but keep in mind that just because someone does something and no one stops them, doesn't mean it's right
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #33
Argento
Mouseketeer

Since Disney offers competing touring services, I'm actually quite surprised that they haven't come down on this practice. Maybe since this service targets such a tiny portion of Disney's overall market (that being Disneyphiles, the sort that take their interests in Disney a little more seriously than most), they aren't concerned that it will impact their business all that much.

For my own opinion, I don't see an issue apart from a single dude holding line spaces for many. That'd tick me off something fierce.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #34
Mary09
Mouseketeer

If he's basically just giving them the Touring Plans ride order (or any suggested ride order) and running for FPs for them, Disney doesn't offer anything like that, I don't think.

Holding a spot for 10 (or any # of) people in the Star Tours line while they ride something else is going too far with it for my comfort level, too.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
KiwiMouse
Earning My Ears

This 'service' makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable, and in line with what Zebbie says above.

I too am surprised that Disney has not stepped into prevent what appears to be a commercial activity by a seemingly unlicensed independent operator within its parks.

I have read the other posts and respect all opinions, but something just seems 'off' to me ... I've always assumed that the folks you see sitting on their blankets and saving spaces are there for their own families, and that essentially they have sacrificed their own time to make it happen. I suspect I will look at anyone sitting on a disposable tarp in a new light now ...
KiwiMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I think this guy is pretty smart. There is nothing wrong with holding a spot for someone. Whether the person is your family member holding the spot or someone you pay what difference does it make? The only thing that will suck is if this were to become so popular that he has dozens of employees staking out spots for dozens of families every show.

Holding places in line sucks though. I don't care if it's a family member or someone you paid if I'm in line behind some guy and 6 people come and join the guy in line ahead of me I'm not going to be a happy camper.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
modegard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoj View Post
At the parks now but just had to write about the excellent service we received from Brian and his girlfriend. Hired him for this past Saturday to reserve a viewing spot for both the fireworks and Fantasmic and it couldn't have been easier. Imagine having the best views available for both shows and only having to arrive about a half hour before each.......simply awesome!

I highly recommend his service!
Thanks for the tip! We only ever see Fantasmic if we pay for the seating / dessert package which gets very expensive for the six of us, and we rarely watch the fireworks because our time in the park is too precious to spend it staking out a spot for any length of time and fighting with other guests for a good view. The one time we tried to sit on a bench and wait for the fireworks a very large, very mean man came and sat in a 6 inch space nearly crushing my children and then refused to move. He took up more than half the bench and of course my kids moved when he pushed against them trying to sit down. We had quite a heated discussion and ended up giving in and leaving our prime spot. I would gladly pay someone to handle all that for me.

Glad you had a good time!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
Mary09
Mouseketeer

I agree that the shows can be a buzzkill. We typically 'waste' 60-120 mins. being uncomfortable and bored to see F! or WOC in a mediocre spot, then when the show starts people walk off a ride and push their kids in front of mine and such. It does leave a bad taste in your mouth. Last time I saw WOC I swore I'd never do it again. (I will.)

So I'm all for private enterprise stepping in to do something I don't want to. If Disney did it, you know it'd cost 3 times as much.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #39
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
Since Disney offers competing touring services, I'm actually quite surprised that they haven't come down on this practice. Maybe since this service targets such a tiny portion of Disney's overall market (that being Disneyphiles, the sort that take their interests in Disney a little more seriously than most), they aren't concerned that it will impact their business all that much.

For my own opinion, I don't see an issue apart from a single dude holding line spaces for many. That'd tick me off something fierce.
Disney can't prove it. I know a lot about Disneyland, and I point things out to my family and basically tour them around the park. There are lots of people who know a lot, or think they know a lot, that leads their party around like a tour guide. Disney has no way of knowing who is paying for an outside touring service and who simply has a know it all in their group.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #40
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I think this guy is pretty smart. There is nothing wrong with holding a spot for someone. Whether the person is your family member holding the spot or someone you pay what difference does it make? The only thing that will suck is if this were to become so popular that he has dozens of employees staking out spots for dozens of families every show.

Holding places in line sucks though. I don't care if it's a family member or someone you paid if I'm in line behind some guy and 6 people come and join the guy in line ahead of me I'm not going to be a happy camper.
I sort of agree. Disney, as far as I know, doesn't have a problem holding a place for parades and shows, so technically it's allowed. I personally have a problem with it. I think everyone who wants to watch the show, should wait for the show. Which is probably why we don't get the best spots. I don't think badly of the people who do save because they have the right to their own opinion and since Disney allows it doesn't bother me.

As for holding places in line. Unless I read wrong, this is not a service this guy offers.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
I sort of agree. Disney, as far as I know, doesn't have a problem holding a place for parades and shows, so technically it's allowed. I personally have a problem with it. I think everyone who wants to watch the show, should wait for the show. Which is probably why we don't get the best spots. I don't think badly of the people who do save because they have the right to their own opinion and since Disney allows it doesn't bother me.

As for holding places in line. Unless I read wrong, this is not a service this guy offers.
IDK...I haven't been to his website yet. There was a PP who mentioned something about him saving a spot in line for someone on Startours.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #42
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

For me there's a difference between Disney renting space for events, TV shows etc because Disney is pocketing the money. With this, Disney space is being "rented" but Disney isn't getting the money. That's where I see Disney having a potential issue with this.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
IDK...I haven't been to his website yet. There was a PP who mentioned something about him saving a spot in line for someone on Startours.
You're right, I completely forgot about that post. Thanks for correcting me
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #44
KalamityJane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
For me there's a difference between Disney renting space for events, TV shows etc because Disney is pocketing the money. With this, Disney space is being "rented" but Disney isn't getting the money. That's where I see Disney having a potential issue with this.
How is the space being rented? It is his time that is being rented, not the space.
KalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #45
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
Can I have some?

lurpee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: