Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
kitkat324
Mouseketeer

Smartphone or iPod in parks?

We are getting annual passes during our vacation in August 2013. And plan to make 5-6 trips using the annual pass. That being said.....

In 2011 we used the mobile magic app on my env3 phone and the only data used was to download the app. We loved the app and found it very useful! And would like to use such apps during our "year of Disney". We no longer have that phone , the cell phone we do have is just a texting phone with no data plan. We are on a family plan with my parents so there is no changing that for now.

I have come up with two ideas that would allow us to have access to Disney apps while in the parks.

1. Buy a tmobile prepaid smartphone. Use the Pay by the Day $3 data plan. The phone would only be used while in the parks for apps, taking pics and sharing on facebook, since we would also have our main cell phone with us.

2. Buy an iPod touch (maybe with camera) and use it to connect to the wifi in the parks. Then use the apps.

I don't know how good the wifi is in the parks to even know if an iPod touch would be all that useful.

I really have no idea which I should go with.

Any thoughts, ideas or opinions?

Trips:
Every year from 1986 - 1996 off-site
Aug. 07' Pop
Oct. 08' Pop
June 11' Pop July 11' AKL
June 13' Pop July 13' AKL
kitkat324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
hakepb
DIS Veteran

The new My Disney Experience app gives line wait times and FP return times. YOu can make dining reservations.. So there is a use for data updates. It is also possible that future FP+ functionality will be built in to the app for scheduling some ride times or parade seating.. So it's too early to tell.

Theoretically it would all be possible on an iPod touch, (it does have a camera but its not as good as the iphone) but wifi is prone to overcrowding at the resorts (but 3G data service can be overcrowded too)..I think I would consider an iPod over a low-level prepaid Droid. An Apple is an Apple for a good experience, but not all Droids are created equal.

But as I said, its too early to tell.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
kitkat324
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post

Theoretically it would all be possible on an iPod touch, (it does have a camera but its not as good as the iphone) but wifi is prone to overcrowding at the resorts (but 3G data service can be overcrowded too)..I think I would consider an iPod over a low-level prepaid Droid. An Apple is an Apple for a good experience, but not all Droids are created equal.

But as I said, its too early to tell.
Thanks for your input! It was very helpful!!

I have thought the very same thing about the iPod over the smartphone. Plus once we are done with our "year of Disney" we won't need the smartphone and it would be useless to us. Where as an iPod would get used. But it all goes back to if the wifi in the parks is to weak to rely on or not.

Trips:
Aug. 07' Pop
Oct. 08' Pop
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

I'd opt for the iPod Touch. On our most recent trip, Labor Day wkend, MK and EP were the only parks with wifi. I used the wifi on my iPhone with no problems. I only used it to use my Disney apps and to access Facebook to post some pictures. My DD has an iPod and she used the wifi in the parks as well without issue. Plus, as you say, it will have use after your trip whereas the pay as you go phone won't.

If you're worried about connectivity you could purchase one of those personal hot spot devices. I purchased one from Virgin Mobile and used it in the parks with my iPod touch before I had a smart phone. Super handy both in the parks and at home.
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
kitkat324
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
I'd opt for the iPod Touch. On our most recent trip, Labor Day wkend, MK and EP were the only parks with wifi. I used the wifi on my iPhone with no problems. I only used it to use my Disney apps and to access Facebook to post some pictures. My DD has an iPod and she used the wifi in the parks as well without issue. Plus, as you say, it will have use after your trip whereas the pay as you go phone won't.

If you're worried about connectivity you could purchase one of those personal hot spot devices. I purchased one from Virgin Mobile and used it in the parks with my iPod touch before I had a smart phone. Super handy both in the parks and at home.
Thanks for the input. Its good to hear feedback from someone who has used an iPod in the parks for the apps!

And great idea about the Virgin Mobile hot spot device. I would never have thought of that. Plus I am not very tech savvy!

Trips:
Aug. 07' Pop
Oct. 08' Pop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: