Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #31
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopugmom View Post
I am doing pretty well. No pop (excluding one sprite) in a week! That is huge for me. Really focusing on watching my calories, eating lots of protein etc. Just have to keep it up!
Giving up soda/pop was hard for me as well. With Atkins you aren't supposed to do caffiene so I had to give up the Diet Dr. Pepper. Now I only do one glass of crystal light a day. I am finding that all the protein that I'm eating does really fill me up much more than all the starchy foods that I'd eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment814 View Post
I had given myself a few weeks to adjust to eating better before I started my fitness routine, but now that the time has come....I just don't want to. I know the hardest part is just...starting. Any good ideas for motivation?
I have the hardest time with this as well. I did really well when I had paid for a boot camp class that met twice a week. If I didn't go then I felt like I just tossed the money away. We had to quit when I got laidoff. Now I just try to go when there is something that I want to watch on TV. I can then exercise while I'm watching the show and the time passes much more quickly. Good Luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
I totally get that slippery slope thing! I told myself I have to go to the the gym 5 days a week (starting on monday). I hate the gym on weekends (too crowded), so that is incentive to go after work every day. If I miss a tuesday, I have to go on saturday and that is just not fun!
Last week I did really well. Monday I had a 1/2 day job and errands to run afterwards so I missed. Tuesday I met a friend for a picnic and we just chatted the afternoon away. Wednesday I gave blood so I couldn't, but today I MADE myself go. I need to make sure I get there tomorrow as well.

Figment - gaining only .6 is fantastic. I'll be going to WDW in a couple of weeks (we had postponed my 50th back in April and have paid off the trip so its either go or lose the money) any tips on how to stay on program while at the parks?

2_Eagle_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

Tried on some favorite smaller "old" clothes that I had given up on.

Happy to say that I'll have no problem finding things to wear on my January trip. Moved a bunch of clothes from the back of the closet right to the front.
I weight about 35 less than I did last time this year. I had a visit with my doctor--she was so encouraging and she spent a lot of time with me on Monday trying to help me get my thyroid (hypo) and osteoarthritis under better control. I was abysmally low on Vitamin D, so I'll be taking 50,000 i.u./week trying to get that back up.

Down another 1.25 this week.

A house without a dog is just a shelter.
Wag more; bark less[
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #33
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

Congratulations!!!

Quicklabs - Congratulations on closet shopping and the great doctors appointment!

I haven't veered off of the diet but went up .6 today. It may be my lack of fiber since I'm not eating an activia and Fiber One bar a day like I used to. I think my body just has to get used to this new way of eating. We went to a "Farmers Market" type store and bought some "Smooth Move Herbal Tea" (yup that's the name). I'll try that and see if it works.

Happy weekend everyone!

2_Eagle_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #34
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Hi everyone. I'm slinking back in over here at the WISH Boards (yet again). I went to the doctor Tuesday and I got the dreaded talk about my weight. Yes, I know its bad but somehow getting smacked with that information and him mentioned Bariatric Surgery has made something click with me. I'm ashamed of myself and just sick of being like this.

The worst part is that I had lost 25 pounds last year and was well on my way to doing so much better, then stress and life started overwelming me and I fell back into bad habits and routines. I guess the worst part is that I had gotten all the way to week 7 on C25K. Week 7! That's 25 minutes straight! I did that! I was so happy. And then the bottom fell out and here I am back again with the 25 and then some pounds added back on.

So needless to say, I'm back on the WISH Boards instead of ignoring them. I'm not sure at this point that I will pick up my WISH journal again but I will use apps such as My Fitness Pal. If anyone wants to add me, I am geauxgirl42 over there. I could honestly use all the motivation I can get.

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #35
Beastlover
When leaving a room, make it dramatic...use Jazz hands!

Hey! Not sure who remembers me at all?? Anyway, I am starting over, too. It has been a while since I've been on the DIS boards!!

I had great success years ago with Atkins, and since then I've put about 40 of the 65 I lost back then, back on. But I'm sure there is a lot more muscle because I've been teaching Jazzercise for 6 1/2 years.

I'm shooting for 25 to lose, and see what I look like there. I'm very excited to re-connect with some of my old friends, and also to meet some new ones!!

Michelle

Rick, Me, and our grandson, Branden

Beastlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Phew! I thought I killed this thread!

Welcome back to wish! Best of luck to you with your goals!

My blog!!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #37
simonsayz
Loving Dis!

hey all! im restarting my weight loss again. 4 years ago i was 190 and then lost 30lbs within 3 months. then 2 years ago i gained back and reached 186-187..i started working out at the end of August and I am currently at 167. trying to lose the weight for my next trip in 8 days!!! because i am on the dining plan and i love Disney's food!

I have a blog on my progress and the food I eat daily.

Mickey's Blog

Dec 13 - Dec 17, 2011
Nov 25 - Dec 1, 2012
7 days of Mickey Craze! End of Nov 2012 My 1st TR

Last edited by simonsayz; 11-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
simonsayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #38
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Is there room here for one more?

I am one week into the "second time around" to lose some weight. Back in 2003 I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (while I was in the hospital with pulmonary embolism) and immediately started on a weight loss and exercise journey. 40 pounds melted off relatively quickly. Then I got lazy. Stopped watching what I ate, and very rarely walking like I had before. 11 pounds found their way back to me.

I had my diabetic check-up last Friday, the 16th, just knowing he was going to put me on insulin as the oral medication just wasn't working anymore. But. We talked, and he's giving me one more chance. He said he thought that if I lose just 30 more pounds I could probably get off the medication. So I was delighted in not going on insulin, and I'm going to do everything I can to lose those 30 pounds.

I'm back to counting calories, trying to stay within 1200-1400 per day, and walking again.

I stepped on the scales this morning and am down 4 pounds! My goal is to have 15 pounds off by my next doctor's appointment February 22. I have joined Spark People and really enjoy that, but thought I'd join here too as a person can't have too much support.

To those of you who have already lost weight, congratulations!! And to those who are either starting the journey for the first time, or who are, like me, doing a second go 'round, keep up the good work and don't give up!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #39
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Great job, MIGrandma! And after Thanksgiving too? Wow that's fantastic! Keep up the good work and I know you will impress your doc the next go around.

My ob/gyn mentioned the words "Bariatric surgery" to me so I have a year to prove him otherwise. Those words scared me so I've got to do something!

My blog!!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
janiebegood
Mouseketeer

Hi! I am so happy to find WISH1

I have just started planning our 25th anniversary trip for New Year's 2013, so I have a whole year + to get healthier and build stamina.

I would like to get to my WW goal weight, which is 157. Right now I'm probably just under 180.

I work from home doing freelance work while my daughter's at school, so every hour I don't work, I don't make money. I have found that this is really inhibiting my motivation to exercise! I don't want to "spend" the time that I could be using to make money. Any advice on overcoming that particular hurdle?

My initial goals are to limit chocolate and sugar-sweetened snacks. I have a mouthful of sweet teeth, so my default is to reach for a piece of candy or a cookie. I'm going to try to make a list of snacks I like that aren't sweet, like pretzels, almonds, and apple slices w/ peanut butter.

It's nice to know I'm not alone!
New Years 2008 Trip Report
And we went back in January 2011!
Thinking about trying out the Yacht Club for the first time!
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #41
loriannmtz
Earning My Ears

I would like help in reaching my goal and sometimes cant seem to find good motivation...any tips that you can help me with?...thanks!...
loriannmtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

loriannmtz, can you start by sitting down and writing out a list of reasons why you want to reach your goal? Is it to feel comfortable with how your clothes fit? Lower your cholesterol? Be a good example of healthy behavior for your kids? Then go over your list in the morning to start your day.

Then when I eat something I consciously think.."This is a choice. This is what I'm choosing to eat. Will this help me get to my goal? Is this going to get me what I really want? This sort of self talk really works for me, because I think a lot of the process of weight loss happens in your head. When I think about what I want in the long term, it becomes easier to turn down what I may want right now, like that cookie, or that latte at Starbucks.

Hope this helps!

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2002, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #43
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

WHY HAVE I NOT FOUND YOU GUYS BEFORE TODAY????!!!!

I'll start with a (brief) introduction...

My name is Kristen. I'm a 38yo mother of 2 daughters (ages 9 and 7) and a full-time paramedic for the last 15 years. On December 27, 2008, I stepped on the scale and almost cried when I saw the number...188 pounds. I'm 5'7" and I always considered myself in fairly decent shape. Unfortunately, 11 years of sitting in an ambulance, working nights, and eating mostly fast-food, along with having 2 children along the way, finally caught up to me. It was then and there that I decided to start on my quest to get back in shape.

For my "diet", I used some words of wisdom that a colleague told me many years ago..."Weight loss is easy...just burn off more calories than you take in and you will lose weight." So simple!

I started with a goal of getting down to 175 pounds by the time we left for our June 2009 WDW vacation. I did it! With the next trip planned for October 2009, I set the goal to drop another 10 pounds. I did it! But I gained 5 of it back at the Food and Wine Festival (hey, it was my birthday...can't a girl have some cake?) By December 27, 2009, I was at 170 pounds so I'd lost 18 pounds that year.

The next trip was spring break 2010 and I set my goal at 165. I did it! The next trip wasn't until spring break 2011 so I had a lot of time to reach my next plateau so I reached for the stars...I wanted to hit 155! On December 27, 2010, I weighed in at 165 pounds. I was a little down because I knew that I still needed to lose 10 pounds in 4 months to hit my goal, but I was glad to see that I'd lost 20 pounds (and kept it off!) since starting my journey.

Spring break, April 2011...I got down to 153 pounds and for the first time in my adult life, I bought a 2-piece swimsuit AND WORE IT on our vacation at HHI. After that, I started to falter. I was in disbelief that I actually weighed 153 pounds since the lowest I could remember as an adult was 160 pounds. I started to revert back to my old "I can eat anything" and gained back about 10 pounds. UGH!! So, when I topped 160 again, it lit a fire under me and I started up with my elliptical machine and MyFitnessPal to get my calories under control again. On December 27, 2011, I weighed in at 160 pounds...28 pounds lost in 3 years.

That brings me to this year...

I've been hovering between 155 and 162 for most of the year. My exercise and calorie-counting have been very inconsistent and that's why my weight is again on a yo-yo. In August, I took up running. I was always told that I have "bad knees" and should avoid high-impact activities, but I needed a change of pace (no pun intended) because the elliptical was getting SOOOOOO boring.

When I started running, I could run a 1/2 mile, at most, before I needed to walk. I started reading the RunDisney information and that was the best motivator ever. I told myself that I will run a Disney 5K by next year. I jumped in full-throttle and within 2 months, I was able to run a full 3 miles. Now that I know I can do a 5K without walking (I've ran 3 miles about 6 times already), I have upped my goal...I want to do the Food and Wine 1/2 Marathon next November.

Today, the weather was finally acceptable (38 degrees, but sunny, with a slight breeze) and I had about 3 hours to myself. I decided to go as far as I could by walking 1/4 mile and running 3/4 miles. I ended up going 7 miles. That is the furthest distance I've ever gone and I did it at a 12:36/mile pace. Not too shabby for someone who thought 3 miles was out of reach back in August.

Unfortunately, Thanksgiving was not diet-friendly. I had several "benders", mostly involving peanut butter sandwiches and pizza (not together....gross) which have set me back. I also hadn't ran in 8 days before today. I have not had the courage to step on the scale this week because I really don't want to get discouraged.

So, that's it for my "brief" introduction Now that you're all caught up on my journey, I'd love to join all of you on your quests for a healthier lifestyle.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #44
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Welcome Kristen! Great job with your loss thus far! I'm a newbie runner (doing C25K again) and my ultimate goal at this point is to finish the program and eventually run a Disney race. I also use MFP and that has really been a great tool for me.

My blog!!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #45
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Since I "ran" 7 miles yesterday, I was a little sore this morning. I had pain in my right hip for the first time since I started this running thing. I told myself that I would run this afternoon if the pain eased up. Well, it eased up a little, but the sun came out and it was almost 50 degrees so I just felt compelled to do a run. I told myself it was going to be a "wimpy" run...just 2, maybe 3 miles at the most. I am always pushing myself to go further and faster with each run so I set out this time with no expectations. My only plan was to run the entire distance after my 1/4 mile warm-up walk. I started out and never even looked at my GPS after the 1/4 mile. I ran through the subdivision and down to the trail, which I ran down and back. Then I ran around the subdivision some more. I was never winded so I just kept going. My legs and both hips were starting to get very sore so I figured I'd better call it quits. I ran the entire distance and when I got to my driveway, I looked at my GPS...I'd run 5 miles! 5 miles is the most I've ever run (without any walking) and I've only done it once. In fact, I've only gone more than 4 miles twice before today. I wonder what I will feel like tomorrow?! I have a heating pad and some ibuprofen at the ready.

I have to work tomorrow and Saturday but the weather is supposed to be beautiful with high's in the upper 50's. Since I don't go into work until 2:30pm, I should have time to squeak in a run before work. It will definitely be a shorter run because I don't want to get up too early when I have to work all night.

In January, I switch to days. I'll be working 7A-7P so I'll have to be getting up around 4am to get an hour run in before work. I really don't want to wait until after work because I am usually too tired after a 12-hour shift. Running usually energizes me for the day so I think it will be better if I just plan on an early start.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: