Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Chatterbox1169
Mouseketeer

Losing faith with discounts!

Last week I asked you all for some advice about whether to book a trip or not. It was 3 nights in DLH in Feb (weekend) for 2 adults, 1 child & 1 infant. The price - with 40% discount - was £900. I decided not to as felt that I wanted to get house move out of the way.

Anyway, thought I'd see what it would cost today with no discount or deals...........£1080!!!! Well that's not a big difference. Since when was £900 a 40% discount of £1080.

Come on Disney........we're not fools! Just be fair and offer a deal that's really a deal. Is it just me?
Chatterbox1169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Donald D Duck
Mouseketeer

Not to be overly defensive of their ever complicated promotions, but aren't they still doing 15% early booking discount?

If that's the case at would make full price for your dates about £1270, and £900 to that would be around 30% discount

Now I'm only just trying to get to grips with the discounts, but isn't it up to 40%? So I think it for instance will be certain days of arrival that offer the full40% or only if you book at least 4 nights for example.

I know it is a bit of a mockery of discounts, but at least the discount you were shown was probably genuine

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DLP Day trip 2000, Santa Fe 2008 and Sequoia Lodge September 2012 & September 2013

Donald D Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
MissSkellington
Of cabbages and kings...

We had the same dilemma (and similar booking...3 nights at DLH end of January)...though the price wasn't great, we felt comfortable with it. But when we called to book it on the last day of the sale, the lady was outrageously rude and abrupt with us...so we had a bad vibe from it and ended up not booking.

So I won't be booking unless something amazing comes along.
*WDW 2005 - POP (April) *DLR 2008 (May) - offsite
*DLR 2008 (Oct) - offsite *DLR 2009 (Dec) - offsite
*WDW 2011 (Feb) POR *1st DLRP 2012 (Nov) SL
*DLRP 2013 (Feb) NPBC *DLRP 2013 (June) DLH
*DLRP 2013 (Oct) SL *DLRP 2013 (Nov) HNY *DLRP 2014 (Jan) DLH
MissSkellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Hipster Meg
Mouseketeer

We booked 4 nights under the 4 nights for the price of 2 deal (so 50%off) that was on last year which worked out at £484 for the Cheyenne which we were happy about considering we're going in February half term. After that deal finished I checked the prices again £488 with 40% off! As far as I know the only way that could happen is if as well as changing the offer they changed the base price of the holiday.

http://roadtowdw.blogspot.co.uk/ My blog about planning our Disney trip (and other random stuff)
Hipster Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

This happened a lot last year when people were finding they had been quoted a much lower figure with a small discount than the next offer with a higher one.

I think if you find a price that you're happy to pay book it.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbox1169 View Post
Last week I asked you all for some advice about whether to book a trip or not. It was 3 nights in DLH in Feb (weekend) for 2 adults, 1 child & 1 infant. The price - with 40% discount - was £900. I decided not to as felt that I wanted to get house move out of the way.

Anyway, thought I'd see what it would cost today with no discount or deals...........£1080!!!! Well that's not a big difference. Since when was £900 a 40% discount of £1080.

Come on Disney........we're not fools! Just be fair and offer a deal that's really a deal. Is it just me?
the price you see now is another deal discount - and for the HNY and DLH it can actually be cheaper under this new deal, than the full 40% off one was.

Elaine
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
DLPdaft
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Meg View Post
We booked 4 nights under the 4 nights for the price of 2 deal (so 50%off) that was on last year which worked out at £484 for the Cheyenne which we were happy about considering we're going in February half term. After that deal finished I checked the prices again £488 with 40% off! As far as I know the only way that could happen is if as well as changing the offer they changed the base price of the holiday.
actually, I worked out last time I did this deal (doing it again next Feb) that 2 nights free on a 4night/5day deal is more like 38% off (4nights/5days as opposed to 2nights/3days).

Elaine
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
mum2threemonsters
Mouseketeer

Iv learnt by now to find a price your comfortable in paying and ignoring the deals that are being 'advertised'. I wouldnt be comfortable booking something when an offer is clearly not on but in the last 2 years Iv learnt whats reasonable and if the prices dont match I look elsewhere. Our first trip at the Explorers was last minute and the price was fantastic £380 ish for 5 nights. Santa Fe was early Dec and £400 for 4 nights with tickets so acceptable. Our biggest expense was July £1700 for Sequioa Lodge-6 nights but it was school holidays, full board and included tickets and we were lucky in that I had just been granted some money. So we accepted the price. This upcoming trip was NYE and as much as we are desperate to stay at HNY the Disney hotels were just not worth the price and we booked Adagio (id always turned my nose up at them- but I am now rather excited about having a 2 bedroom apartment) for £540 for 6 nights. I know we need Dream AP on top of this BUT at this rate we will easily get another trip in and it allows us other benefits too.

Give yourself a budget and stick to it, DLH is an amazing hotel and I dream of the day we can stay there but after walking in HNY last trip it is equally special in its own way and Im not sure if the difference in price is worth the extra. Imagine how much more spending money that is for your children, especially when there is soooo many nice and expensive things to buy. We love the fact we are working our way up and each trip we dream of the time we can stay at the pink palace but we've never been unhappy with our accomodation and I am fussy!

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]COLOR]
mum2threemonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
MrsSDW
Mouseketeer

Just to agree that the advice on having a budget in mind and being happy to book at that price is very sensible. The price can vary tremendously even with the same discount on offer. For example, my stay at the DLH for 5 days/4 nights in mid-November for 2 adults and 1 child cost £1079 with the 2-nights free offer. Browsing the Disney website a few weeks later, the very same dates for the very same deal came in at £506 more expensive. That's a heck of a lot more money! I was chuffed with my bargain and it was the only way I'd have considered paying the extra to stay at the DLH.
MrsSDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

It does make a mockery doesn't it . Especially when you include that Disney now offer you any deal from any country (seemed to come about 'officially' after Watchdog took them to the cleaners over their offers!).

However, there was a debate about this earlier in the year and someone on here said it was to do with the base price and whether it's based on last year's base or the new years?? Like booking next summer's deal on winter's prices. I'm not sure when they switch to their 'summer' prices (and I'm not sure they even say) for summer but that could make a difference to the base as the exchange rate will have changed, plus price increases etc....

That is probably as clear as mud, but I do recall reading it and it was very coherent and actually made sense at the time !?

However, all that said, winter/summer prices - whatever, the discounts do seem made up sometimes! The people I feel sorry for are those that book on one offer then another comes along MUCH cheaper - like our Nov trip was almost £300 cheaper (for 2 rooms at the DLH). That is a huge saving. Thankfully the lovely CM was happy for us to switch offers . But, not everyone is so lucky sadly .

I'm sure someone the other day called it 'Disney Chicken' - knowing when to book for the best deal !

Rather than Watchdog whinging about the UK getting a bad deal compared to other countries, perhaps they should investigate DLRP's offers and how they add up
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Chatterbox1169
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald D Duck View Post
Not to be overly defensive of their ever complicated promotions, but aren't they still doing 15% early booking discount?

If that's the case at would make full price for your dates about £1270, and £900 to that would be around 30% discount

Now I'm only just trying to get to grips with the discounts, but isn't it up to 40%? So I think it for instance will be certain days of arrival that offer the full40% or only if you book at least 4 nights for example.

I know it is a bit of a mockery of discounts, but at least the discount you were shown was probably genuine

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I fully understand the various 'base rates' but my quotes were specifically '40% discount' in the price area and then no discount at all mentioned in the 2nd quote.

I love the saying 'Disney Chicken' and it is a case of if you think its a good price - BOOK IT!!!! Will keep checking but we sold our house on Monday so now all definitely up in the air.
Chatterbox1169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
DLPdaft
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbox1169 View Post
I fully understand the various 'base rates' but my quotes were specifically '40% discount' in the price area and then no discount at all mentioned in the 2nd quote.

I love the saying 'Disney Chicken' and it is a case of if you think its a good price - BOOK IT!!!! Will keep checking but we sold our house on Monday so now all definitely up in the air.
doesn't your price now say "winter magic" or something like that? Thats the current offer.

Elaine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: