Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

just booked last minute thanksgiving week trip

Had to share with someone because we are not telling our family or friends. Don't want to have to deal with the- AGAIN!, must be nice to be made of money!, Etc etc., etc.

No one "get's it" that we do without to be able to do what we do, majority of our trip is covered by disney reward points, I work the best deals I can, we've never done a character meal because of the extra cost, our kids understand that we are on a budget, and the list goes on.

When the YES prices for 2013 were released last week, it totally put us into rethinking mode.
While the price difference is still lower than normal gate prices, it put us at about equal on cost of taking the motorhome and staying at Fort Wilderness compared to driving the car (40+mpg) and staying at a value resort. Which then leaves only the cost of eating OOP versus cooking and eating at the camper.

Add in to this the fact that
DH has been working out of town 3 weeks out of a month for the last 20 months. (This last trip he left Oct 3rd and as of right now he is suppose to be back Oct 16th)

Our kids have off school Monday of thanksgiving week, go to school 1/2 day tuesday, 1/2 day wednesday and then are off thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, and the following monday (1st day of hunting season in PA).

We need family time without distractions.

And the kennel had available space for our 2 dogs.

So with the Disney points that we have currently, being able to purchase UT tickets and then upgrade to current gate price after first use, we are taking the plunge and getting APs.

We are book at Pop Century room only, as of now checking in 11/17 checking out 11/26. (could get the room for $60 less, but need a valid AP at check in, still working on that one)

I am just going to tell our family and friends that the kids and I are going to be with DH over thanksgiving week. They will automatically presume we are going to Boston area.

Apr 2014 Offsite, Aug 2013 Pop Century, Apr 2013 Fort Wilderness, Nov 2012 Pop Century, June 2012 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2012 Offsite,
Aug 2011 Offsite, Apr 2011 Pop Century, Oct 2010 Pop Century, Apr 2010 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2009 Pop Century, June 1997 Offsite, Dec 1996 Offsite
tlh0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Awesome! Have fun! I know what you mean....we go on vacation once/year, sometimes twice and our family is always saying "must be nice" blah blah blah. I feel bad but it's not my fault. Haven't even told anyone we're planning a disney cruise, lol. Anyway....enjoy!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
Awesome! Have fun! I know what you mean....we go on vacation once/year, sometimes twice and our family is always saying "must be nice" blah blah blah. I feel bad but it's not my fault. Haven't even told anyone we're planning a disney cruise, lol. Anyway....enjoy!

Apr 2014 Offsite, Aug 2013 Pop Century, Apr 2013 Fort Wilderness, Nov 2012 Pop Century, June 2012 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2012 Offsite,
Aug 2011 Offsite, Apr 2011 Pop Century, Oct 2010 Pop Century, Apr 2010 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2009 Pop Century, June 1997 Offsite, Dec 1996 Offsite
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh0726 View Post
Had to share with someone because we are not telling our family or friends. Don't want to have to deal with the- AGAIN!, must be nice to be made of money!, Etc etc., etc.

No one "get's it" that we do without to be able to do what we do, majority of our trip is covered by disney reward points, I work the best deals I can, we've never done a character meal because of the extra cost, our kids understand that we are on a budget, and the list goes on.

When the YES prices for 2013 were released last week, it totally put us into rethinking mode.
While the price difference is still lower than normal gate prices, it put us at about equal on cost of taking the motorhome and staying at Fort Wilderness compared to driving the car (40+mpg) and staying at a value resort. Which then leaves only the cost of eating OOP versus cooking and eating at the camper.

Add in to this the fact that
DH has been working out of town 3 weeks out of a month for the last 20 months. (This last trip he left Oct 3rd and as of right now he is suppose to be back Oct 16th)

Our kids have off school Monday of thanksgiving week, go to school 1/2 day tuesday, 1/2 day wednesday and then are off thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, and the following monday (1st day of hunting season in PA).

We need family time without distractions.

And the kennel had available space for our 2 dogs.

So with the Disney points that we have currently, being able to purchase UT tickets and then upgrade to current gate price after first use, we are taking the plunge and getting APs.

We are book at Pop Century room only, as of now checking in 11/17 checking out 11/26. (could get the room for $60 less, but need a valid AP at check in, still working on that one)

I am just going to tell our family and friends that the kids and I are going to be with DH over thanksgiving week. They will automatically presume we are going to Boston area.
Sounds like everything worked out perfectly, how could you not go?

I thought that you had 24 hours after check in to show your annual pass to give folks time to pick them up if they are buying them that trip. Don't quote me on that, but it is common not to have it yet in your possession when you check in when you are buying it for the upcoming year.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Sounds like everything worked out perfectly, how could you not go?

I thought that you had 24 hours after check in to show your annual pass to give folks time to pick them up if they are buying them that trip. Don't quote me on that, but it is common not to have it yet in your possession when you check in when you are buying it for the upcoming year.
We were thinking the same thing.
I called backed in yesterday afternoon and had the AP discount applied.
DH said worse case scenario is they charge us the difference and we go back to the desk to have them apply it to the remaining days.

He said $60 gets him 3 pizzas! The kids and him love WDW pizza

Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Have a great vacation! Who cares what others think. The important thing will be the continued family time and the memories. You work hard to be able to afford the activities you choose. I would just say, "yes it is nice", and move on.

mm1971 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: