Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
The day each of my kids reached their first birthday, no more bottles. Neither seemed to mind losing the bottle. With the pacifier, we put the pacifiers out with the milk and cookies for Santa, so Santa could take the pacifiers to needy kids. Worked like a charm. My dd, did miss her pacifier the first couple of nights, after that, no problems. DS never asked for a pacifier again.

Good luck!
We tried this the year prior. It only made him mad at Santa and wasn't at all excited for Christmas. YMMV.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #32
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

I just took the bottle away and gave them sippy cups at 12 months. I think (and this is my theory only) that because they were so young they hadn't formed an emotional attachment to it, in that they didn't use it for comfort.

The pacifier was a different story. My daughter never took one. My son was very attached to it. As they got lost we didn't replace them. AT 18 months we were at the shore and he lost the last one, and we decided "that's it." Since we were on vacation, he was too occupied during the day to think about it, the 1st night was a little ugly, but after that he was fine.

I have heard the method where you cut a small hole in the nipple of the pacifier and it makes it less enjoyable. You gradually increase the size of the hole until the child just gives it up because he gets no satisfaction from it.

Maybe like a PP said, take him to the store and let him pick out a "big boy," cup and heap on praise and attention about being such a big boy.

On a note of warning, and I know a lot of people are going to come back and say it didn't happen to them, but my ex's daughter needed 4 root canals at the age of 3 from "baby bottle tooth decay." (google the images, it will make you determined LOL) Trust me the root canals were much more traumatic to the child than taking away the bottle.
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #33
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

My kids all were on a sippy cup by age 1. I started with giving them all their other fluids (juice, water) in a sippy cup during the day and just the milk in the bottle. Eventually, milk went in there too until they were fully weaned off.

My oldest DD and DS were binkie babies - they had theirs until they were 3. A few months before their 3rd birthday, we told them "when M turns 3, she is a big girl and binkie goes in the trash!" We said this ALL the time to prepare them for the big day - so much that they repeated it anytime anyone asked them about turning 3, LOL. It worked out perfectly for us... on their 3rd birthday, they literally threw their binkies in the trash! Had 2 rough nights, but that was it.

I think the key is preparing them. My sister had the 'binkie fairy' come (again, prepared them ahead of time); the fairy took the binkies and left gifts. I've heard people say to leave them for Santa, but I didn't like that idea as I didn't want my kids to get upset at the big guy for taking their beloved binks.

Good luck however you decide to do it!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #34
RyMacJ
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say thanks to those that brought up cutting the tip off a paci. My DD3 (will be 3.5 right around Thanksgiving) has been so stubborn about giving hers up. Her older sister just handed it over when we told her to. So this one being difficult was new to us!

Anyway, yesterday I cut the tip off her paci, and she put it in her mouth and looked at me and said "I don't like this. Why is there a hole in my paci?" I told her that was how it had to be as she got bigger. LOL I didn't really know what else to say.

So she tried using it for a while and it kept falling out of her mouth, and she finally put it on the coffee table and said, "I don't like it. I don't want my paci anymore." And never picked it back up! She even went to sleep without it last night. We offered it to her, just to see what she'd do, and she said, "no, I don't like it."

!! fingers crossed this keeps working and thank you! I have been struggling with how to get it away from her for months.

Offisite April 1987**Treehouse Villas June 1993**Offsite July 1998**POFQ (DisneyMoon) May 2007**AoA Nemo Suite May 2013**Caribbean Beach June 2015

Me DH DD6 DD5
RyMacJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: