Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
dabell
Earning My Ears

Can you change Resorts at checkin

Hello,
We are going to Disney in November this year and have reservation at the Pop Century. We like it there and have stayed there in the past. But we are taking my in-laws who have never been to WDW and would love for them to stay at a Deluxe resort. We were wondering when we arrive at the resort can we ask if they have rooms still available at a Deluxe resort could we upgrade to there at a discount? Has anyone ever done this or tried? Is it possible? I do not want a free upgrade but we cannot afford the full price to stay at a Deluxe this year. Thanks for your help.
dabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Ability to change resorts at check-in will depend on availability; if it's really important to change resorts, I suggest changing the reservation ahead. Upgrade will definitely not be free, and I'm not even sure they'll offer a discount. You might be better looking for a discounted room-only rate now and changing your reservation. Maybe try a moderate if deluxe is out of your price range.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

The folks I know (including family members) who have elected on their own to change resorts at check-in all ended up paying full rack rate at the resort they changed to.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabell View Post
Hello,
We are going to Disney in November this year and have reservation at the Pop Century. We like it there and have stayed there in the past. But we are taking my in-laws who have never been to WDW and would love for them to stay at a Deluxe resort. We were wondering when we arrive at the resort can we ask if they have rooms still available at a Deluxe resort could we upgrade to there at a discount? Has anyone ever done this or tried? Is it possible? I do not want a free upgrade but we cannot afford the full price to stay at a Deluxe this year. Thanks for your help.
You would void out your original reservation and you would be on a new reservation paying full rack rate for the new reservation. There are no discounts on rooms that are basically booked at check-in; they need to be done beforehand.

Essentially you are looking for a free upgrade and that is totally out of your control when that happens.

Best to book, and enjoy, what you can afford.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.

Last edited by Missytara; 10-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Generally, upgrades/resort changes at check-in are done at rack rate (full price). And, you stand a good chance of losing any promotional deals like free dining.

Disney doesn't really offer last-minute discounts like some travel operators. They publish their discounts well in advance, and then they end ahead of the travel date.

You'd do much, much better to look around now for discounts on deluxes that may apply for your dates. Check out our Discount Codes and Rate board, and Mousesavers.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Your best bet is for YOU to figure out the better discounts now, before you leave and change your reservation before you arrive at the hotel.

As reported numerous times, asking for a "free" upgrade is almost a guarantee that you will NOT get one. Upgrades only happen at Disney when it becomes necessary on the part of Disney's needs, for example a room category is overbooked and the only remaining openings they have are what we would call "upgrades".

Honestly your best bet is to search for Disney Discounts and book a room using one of those.

Places to find Disney deals include a reputable travel agent experienced in Disney vacation planning, The official Walt Disney world site, which often has the current deals listed under the "Packages" menu, pull down the sub menu and then click on "special offers" or other sites on the web, most notably "Mouse savers" (google that site to get the address). The Dis also has a discount information thread as mentioned above.

If you do find a better deal please contact the place that booked your travel (i.e. travel agent or with Disney directly if you booked with them) and let them know you found a better deal and you'd like to switch.

The bottom line is that asking for an upgrade at check in will more than likely result in you not getting one, as it is up to Disney to decide this, and no amount of influencing on your part will sway that decision in your favor.

Do your homework and check around for deals that are out there and may apply to your travel dates and needs. Then contact the appropriate party and make the change. If you do find something it will be worth the effort. If you don't find anything it will be worth the experience of learning how to do this yourself.

Good luck with finding a discount for what you want and have a great trip!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
if it's really important to change resorts, I suggest changing the reservation ahead. Upgrade will definitely not be free, and I'm not even sure they'll offer a discount.
Ditto this. Unlike a lot of places, WDW resorts rarely (as in, "close to never") offer same day discounts. Hotels do that when they really need to fill the place; WDW resorts are usually functioning close to capacity anyhow, and their policy is to offer at set number of discounted rooms on the off season to bring people in, so they have no need to discount same-day check-ins. But usually once those discounted rooms are gone, they're gone, so your best bet is to get discounts ahead of time.

There are two November threads in the Discount Codes and Rates board here that you could check, one for early November and one for the last half of the month. Good Luck!
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

The OP states that they can't afford to stay Deluxe, that's why they booked PopCentury, so changing her resort ahead of time doesn't do her any good. Dabell, enjoy your stay at Pop, to change your resort to a Deluxe at a discounted rate probably won't happen.
SharonZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
dabell
Earning My Ears

Thanks all

I figured it was a long shot as I have never heard on any one getting a chance to upgrade but ithought i would ask. We will definately enjoy our time at Pop Century. Thanks much for your responses.
dabell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: