Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

Pet boarding or sitters?

We just got a kitten about 3 months ago. She'll be about 7 months old when our cruise comes around (7 night Fantasy with a couple days in WDW at the end). She is our only pet. She is somewhat independent, but not as much as some cats. She follows us around when we're home and runs to great us at the door when we get home. She likes sleeping at our feet when we're sitting or at the foot of the bed at night. She's never been left alone. We have no other pets and no kids. We're trying to decide if we should have a pet sitter come in twice a day (for about 30-45 minutes each visit) and then overnight for 12 hours a couple of nights while we're gone. The other option is to put her up in a kennel (or kitty version of a kennel). Cost wise they're about the same, and we unfortunately don't have anyone who can house sit full time while we're away. I'd love to hear from other pet owners on their thoughts on the pro's and con's of each option, and any new options if anyone has any.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
holula
DIS Veteran

Awwwwwwwwww kittens!

Is the kitty litter trained? For me that would be a BIG thing. Do you have anyone nearby who can bring their cat to your home (or yours to their home) to see how she does with other cats? Does she scratch furniture? Does she spend time outdoors at the moment or is she a totally inside cat?

For me I would choose the kitty kennels if they were a similar price, but I have 7 cats so the pet sitter would be waaaaaaaay cheaper. :lol:
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!)
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2014 Southern, 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaikalani
We just got a kitten about 3 months ago. She'll be about 7 months old when our cruise comes around (7 night Fantasy with a couple days in WDW at the end). She is our only pet. She is somewhat independent, but not as much as some cats. She follows us around when we're home and runs to great us at the door when we get home. She likes sleeping at our feet when we're sitting or at the foot of the bed at night. She's never been left alone. We have no other pets and no kids. We're trying to decide if we should have a pet sitter come in twice a day (for about 30-45 minutes each visit) and then overnight for 12 hours a couple of nights while we're gone. The other option is to put her up in a kennel (or kitty version of a kennel). Cost wise they're about the same, and we unfortunately don't have anyone who can house sit full time while we're away. I'd love to hear from other pet owners on their thoughts on the pro's and con's of each option, and any new options if anyone has any.
Is there anyone willing to take her in during those days? That's a great option for cats...normally they adapt well. If not, I would do the person stopping over as kennels they could be stressed and tied to one area and not sure how much interaction they get.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Previously, we have boarded our cat with our vet. The cat had to be up to date on all of her shots. You supply the cats food, favorite blanket to sleep on, toy. The fee was $15 per night. It was a familiar place to her, I knew she would see people there and I knew they would take excellent care of her. Downside was they have restrictive pick up and drop off times, so even though we were home on Saturday, we couldn't get her until Monday morning. You could check and see if your vet offers this service.

For shorter trips (two or three days) our neighbor came in to give fresh food and water and to clean out the litter.

Our cat is fond of us, but she is also fiercely independent. She disappears in the house for hours at a time. So, not having someone with her at all times is fine by her.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
Awwwwwwwwww kittens!

Is the kitty litter trained? For me that would be a BIG thing. Do you have anyone nearby who can bring their cat to your home (or yours to their home) to see how she does with other cats? Does she scratch furniture? Does she spend time outdoors at the moment or is she a totally inside cat?

For me I would choose the kitty kennels if they were a similar price, but I have 7 cats so the pet sitter would be waaaaaaaay cheaper. :lol:
She is litter trained and completely indoor cat. We got her from a rescue person who had about 5 other cats/kittens, so she's been around other felines. Unfortunately we don't know anyone we trust enough to come take care of her...and our friends that have offered to house her while we're gone have two huge, and we're talkin' HUGE Great Danes (and two German Shepards) and would worry sick if she were there. The dogs are nice and gentle, but the kitty is small and 'food' shaped, so I'd worry about her staying there all day with the dogs while our friends are at work
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Angelic Jennifer
Mouseketeer

It's a cat. It will be perfectly fine while you're gone. Make sure there's plenty of food and water, and have someone come in to clean/change the litter every couple of days. Daily if it's picky about a clean box. You don't need someone staying there the night .. In all likelihood, the cat won't even notice.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

I have had someone came stay at my house with my two Pugs, and I have brought them to someone else's house. I would not put them in a kennel. Too afraid of germs, and the fact that most kennels don't have over night personnel...what if there was a fire? I am a worrier. On my cruise this month my two are going to be staying with my dog walker. They will be in good hands.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaikalani View Post
kitty is small and 'food' shaped
:r otfl2:

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Our preference is a housesitter. The last time we left our 3 dogs at a kennel (10 years ago now) they howled and tried to scratch their way out until all three were housed in the same cubicle thing. The vet had no choice, he ended up keeping them in the same cubicle from night 2 on, and then they were fine (so he said) but they came back with very hoarse voices so must have barked and whined a great deal :-(
The house sitter is great, the animals are able to stay in their safe comfortable environment etc. I vote for house-sitter!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We have two kitties and always leave them at home under the supervision of a neighbor. We have the neighbor come in every day or every other day to feed, fresh water, scoop the kitty box, and get the mail. I like knowing that someone is keeping an eye on my house and the kitties are happier at home. One kitty always greets the neighbor, the other kitty is usually never seen by the neighbor.

I have boarded them and they just huddle in their kennels and look miserable. Having us gone is stressful for them but it's less stressful then being away from their familiar environment and their people.

If you have a neighbor with an older school age child, this is a great opportunity for the kid (under the supervision of the parents) to earn some money.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I am moving this to the community board since you are asking specifically an opinion on kennel or pet sitter and has nothing really to do with planning a Disney cruise.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Jackson's grammie
DIS Veteran

We have a college girl come in daily and play with her, feed her and take care of her litter. She is quite content as long as she doesn't have to leave the house. When we took her with us for a wkend she was very upset not to be in HER house.
Jackson's grammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
disneyxperts
Formerly "OH 6" on the Dis

We have found our house/pet sitters via Pet Sitters International. Did some interviews and settled on good ones in each city we've lived. We like that there's someone that stops by - turns on lights - checks mail, etc...

disneyxperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

I used pet sitters it has the two fold advantage, the cats and (late)dog got to stay at home (plus where I was going to find boarding for chickens I don't know) Two they come in and out of the house which makes it not empty and less of a target for burglars.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

We got our kitty in December. The first weekend away, we took her to a high-falutin' cat sitter. It didn't go well. She came back broken and scared and it was like starting at day 1 in her trust all over again.

The second trip we took, I left her at my dad's house. He has a cat, so I figured, all is well...not so much. It turns out my cat DOES NOT LIKE to leave home. She, at 5 pounds, bullied my dad's precious and 12 pound Tigger. She again had trust issues upon returning home.

For our cruise this month, my mom is going to come over and house-sit and fish-sit and kitty-sit. We're hoping our kitty does better this time. She'll be in her own home without any other cats and my mom will be certain to overfeed her and give her love.

I think you should pick what works for you first, then see how it goes, and adjust based on the cat's reaction.

Leaving my cat alone and having someone come in for 30 minutes each day would not work. She's go cat-poop crazy not having some human to play with and sit on. When we take day trips and leave for 12 hours, she's pretty wigged out by the time we get home.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: