Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
SIMJUN
Mouseketeer

That mean person won't let you see

insert name of character.

I have heard that said to kids by parents countless times each trip I make to Disney.

Why do parents say that.

"That mean person" is the character attendant, and she/he has a job to do, and that involves keeping to a schedule set by Disney. She/he does not control how long the characters are out for or what time they come out/go in.

Once again today I heard an angry parent being abusive to a character attendant.

If your kids want to see the characters, then you really need to plan your time accordingly.

If you don't like the way character meet & greets are organized, then write to guest relations.

Just don't make the character attendant the scapegoat.
SIMJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMJUN View Post

I have heard that said to kids by parents countless times each trip I make to Disney.

Why do parents say that.

"That mean person" is the character attendant, and she/he has a job to do, and that involves keeping to a schedule set by Disney. She/he does not control how long the characters are out for or what time they come out/go in.

Once again today I heard an angry parent being abusive to a character attendant.

If your kids want to see the characters, then you really need to plan your time accordingly.

If you don't like the way character meet & greets are organized, then write to guest relations.

I agree with you, but I can't honestly say I've ever heard another parent say this about a character attendant. Maybe my head is stuck firmly in the sand.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

They obviously don't want to take responsibility for their own poor planning and so make the poor CMs out as villains.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I have seen too many of these CM's abused by guests to have anything but respect and sympathy for them. I agree that parents who use them as scapegoats are just wrong. I stay stick with the Disney Magic and use the excuses they tell: ...has to make an important telephone call, ... Has to use the little Mouses room and will be right back, ... Needs a quick candy snack and will BRB. All charming responses that kids will understand.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
tarrbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
I have seen too many of these CM's abused by guests to have anything but respect and sympathy for them. I agree that parents who use them as scapegoats are just wrong. I stay stick with the Disney Magic and use the excuses they tell: ...has to make an important telephone call, ... Has to use the little Mouses room and will be right back, ... Needs a quick candy snack and will BRB. All charming responses that kids will understand.

Parent's do it all of the time, at least once a day in my lovely location a parent will say something like, "You better behave or this lady will hit you" and if I hear it and am in talking vicinity, I will respond along the lines of, I would never do such a thing! In my politest voice that is.

Parents, please don't make cast members seem like the bad guy, we are just doing our job. And as already stated, if you don't like something, write about it to Guest Services.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

I was waiting to see Minnie one day and the attendant was telling people that we were the last ones in line most were o.k. with it, but this one with about a 2 year old got her to cry. Telling her that she couldn't see Minnie, and doesn't that make you sad, stuff like that. If the attendants let that one last person in line the character would never get to leave.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMJUN View Post

Why do parents say that.

LOL your post made me laugh! I totally agree with you. There are so many over-dramatic, short-sighted parents. They're annoying but they are not going anywhere so I use them as a learning source
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
LOL your post made me laugh! I totally agree with you. There are so many over-dramatic, short-sighted parents. They're annoying but they are not going anywhere so I use them as a learning source
Those same parents are the ones that probably say if you aren't good they are going to take you to the Doctor to get a shot or have the Police Officer arrest them. Great way to build trust for those two professions.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Those same parents are the ones that probably say if you aren't good they are going to take you to the Doctor to get a shot or have the Police Officer arrest them. Great way to build trust for those two professions.
I know a parent that does that - threatens to call the police. Drives me insane. Parenting is a tough job, I know, but please .... do it right!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrbear View Post
Parent's do it all of the time, at least once a day in my lovely location a parent will say something like, "You better behave or this lady will hit you" and if I hear it and am in talking vicinity, I will respond along the lines of, I would never do such a thing! In my politest voice that is.

Parents, please don't make cast members seem like the bad guy, we are just doing our job. And as already stated, if you don't like something, write about it to Guest Services.
This.. except put man in for lady.. Sometimes 'mean man'

We do have a store full of equipment that kids, especially little boys LOVE to climb all over, and we really do wish they would not climb on it, more for their safety then anything.. You know lots of metal / sharp edges can could cut. But then all the sudden the kid will be terrified even to be in the store! I really dont appreciate being made out to be a bad guy..
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

We were getting close to the front of the line at the Character Spot after waiting 40 minutes when Mickey went on break. They told us he needed a snack so he went to get some cheese.

Parents should really know better since we have the advantage of actually knowing there is a hard working person in that hot suit, especially for the outdoor greetings in the spring and summer.

Oct. 2011: Fall Break at Sea World and Magic Kingdom
TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2827406
June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
danny1649
Will be wearing some lime green
I just love to dance
Armed with this information I might be able to out score DW for once

DISboards Moderator

Fellow Diser's

This thread could be a hot button issue,so be respectful and polite to all other posters,please.Stay on topic and no personal attacks.Opinions on this topic is like elbows everyone has one.So again I ask please be respectful of each other.TIA Danny
danny1649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1649 View Post
This thread could be a hot button issue,so be respectful and polite to all other posters,please.Stay on topic and no personal attacks.Opinions on this topic is like elbows everyone has one.So again I ask please be respectful of each other.TIA Danny
Ha! I like that .... stealing it
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
20yBWDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
I know a parent that does that - threatens to call the police. Drives me insane. Parenting is a tough job, I know, but please .... do it right!

I admit that I use variation of the police one. We have law enforcement officers in the family, so of course we do not make police out to be bad people. But we have told one of our children that certain things could land them in jail. i.e. physical aggression, stealing, or could land other people in jail, i.e. lying about other people being physically aggressive. Judge if you want, but we have tried everything else, we have been through counseling, and nothing worked. We took the approach of calmly explaining the very serious consequences of his behavior and the importance of learning self control, and we are seeing much better results. Now, in public sometimes, a quick phrase to remind him of it is more effective than a simple "no".

Now, we would not use it for something that is not against the law--whining, not listening. But, for instance, if the kid threatens physical violence, we will remind him that hurting others is against the law.
20yBWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

I saw the thread and the first thing that came to mind are the parents that have said this to our family many times. Yes, we are those people that stake out our spot, usually next to a garbage can, at least an hour before parade/fireworks and kids now go ride while DH and I hold spot (shame on us).

After reading through this thread, I just keep thinking that I have heard parents say this sort of thing to CM's, but to be honest I have seen more verbal abuse toward other guests than CM's. We have witnessed, at almost every parade we have been to, parents rant toward other guests as they are shoving their small children toward the front of the line for a parade.

19 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: