Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
jenksdj
Mouseketeer

If you go for 10-14 days, then consider a split stay between a good neighbor hotel and a DLR hotel, if it's too pricey for the full time at a DLR hotel. Just make sure to END the stay at the DLR hotel to avoid disappointment in in the good neighbor hotel and to end the trip on the best note possible!
We're going in 3 days for a 5 night stay at DLH concierge (thanks to gay days rate)! Can't wait!

First trip to DL April/07
2nd trip to DL Nov/07
3rd trip to DL Dec/08
First trip to WDW May/10
4th trip to DL Nov/10
Next trip to DL Oct/12
jenksdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Magalex
DIS Veteran

NOOOO why did I open this post. Yes I agree these people are enablersI was just fine with Candy Cane Inn as a motel of choice for our first trip to DL in July 2013. We are very happy with the value resorts at WDW but would LOVE to have our first visit to DL & stay at DLH Wishing for some luck here.
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

While I think it would be great to stay in a DL hotel, it's just out of our price range. And even if it wasn't, we would probably spend the money on something else. We are perfectly content with our outside hotels. Last time we stay at the Double Tree, which was excellent! This is time we are staying at the Fairfield, which may not be super fancy, but it's comfortable and convenient.

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

I just can't justify the price difference to stay onsite, see below!

Last time we stayed at HOJO and loved it but DS8 wants to stay even CLOSER this time, so I'm going for the Best Western Park Place Inn.

Disneyland Hotel 2717
Paradise Pier 2168
BWPPI 1344

And those prices are without airfare.

I will gladly save $800+ and stay offsite...at a hotel which is technically closer walking distance ;-)

To each their own of course, and I understand the draw of the resort hotels. Just not for us right now.

EDITED TO ADD: The prices above were ALL priced directly thru Disney's website.

IF I booked hotel/park tickets separately check this out:

5-day PH tickets thru the Disney site for self and 8y son: $560

Hotel directly thru BWPPI site, choosing "no car discount" since we won't have one: $530.89 after tax.

TOTAL BOOKING ITEMS SEPARATELY: 1090.89

Quite a savings again!

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

Last edited by awdsmama; 10-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.
awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsmama View Post
I just can't justify the price difference to stay onsite, see below!

Last time we stayed at HOJO and loved it but DS8 wants to stay even CLOSER this time, so I'm going for the Best Western Park Place Inn.

Disneyland Hotel 2717
Paradise Pier 2168
BWPPI 1344

And those prices are without airfare.

I will gladly save $800+ and stay offsite...at a hotel which is technically closer walking distance ;-)

To each their own of course, and I understand the draw of the resort hotels. Just not for us right now.
Same for me
I found that staying on site was double for my family vs staying at bwppi
Take into account that I am not there for the hotel, it's just not worth it for the extras you receive IMO
Now at wdw, that's a different story
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
KalamityJane
DIS Veteran

We are staying onsite this time because of the gay days rates and they were so reasonable - hojo was 169 for our dates!
KalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Same for me
I found that staying on site was double for my family vs staying at bwppi
Take into account that I am not there for the hotel, it's just not worth it for the extras you receive IMO
Now at wdw, that's a different story
I just modified my post w more pricing info if you aren't driving to DL.

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Jenn1116
My goal in life is to visit DLP

Staying off site certainly mean more savings, or more spending on other goodies. I think on-site prices are ridiculous and always stay off-site
BUT....
I have memories of staying at the DLH when I was 5 yr old. The whole trip was MAGIC! So this coming trip we're giving in and spoiling DD (and ourselves) with an on-site stay, and I am so excited!

I think it's worth the splurge at least once if you can manage it.
1992 So Cal Family Trip
2006 50th Anniversary - DD's First Trip
2008 President's Day Weekend Getaway
2008 Friends and Family October Trip
2009 December in Disneyland
2013 Return of the Ostrowskis

Me DD 9 Grandma Grandpa

Jenn1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRfan31 View Post
We've never stayed onsite, but have thought about it before.

What is the average cost? I know in the past when I've checked it really scared me off.

I saw a post somewhere recently that gave some prices that weren't as bad...I think gay day rates...but when you go for 10 days to 2 weeks at a time, its a lot.

and what is the senior citizen rates. We;ll have my mom with us the last few days so maybe she'll spring for a couple of days at the resort. She's got more $$$ to burn than I do.
Keep in mind that when you go for 10 days to 2 weeks, you'll need to buy 2 or maybe 3 separate tickets per person. DLR only sells 5 day tickets now.

As far as average cost, paying rack rate is extremely expensive. We are staying for 6 nights in late January at the VGC for $178/night. Renting DVC points is an attractive option for getting 40-70% off rack rates.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Mary09
Mouseketeer

We could do 2-3 Disneyland vacations off-site for the price of staying on-site. So we do off-site.

I find too that given my financial analyst brain if I pay premium rates for something, I can't stop noticing any and all shortcomings in the service or product, and feel a bit ripped off (glass is half empty, I know!) With the cheap hotels, I expect very little and am often pleasantly surprised.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
Priory
Mouseketeer

After 31 years of visiting the park(s) I am staying on property for the first time ever tonight! I am sitting here at work and so far it's the longest day of my life. I never thought onsite was worth it until I visited WDW for the first time last year. There is something to be said for the immersion factor. I can't describe it, but it just felt great. I am hoping it feels the same at the DLR. I wish it was more than 3 nights, but it will still be fantastic.

Are there any features or benefits to staying at the GCH that I should be sure not to miss? (I know about early entry).
Priory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

One day we WILL stay onsite! When the kids are old enough to appreciate it and money isn't as tight as it is right now....one of these years we are definitely staying onsite!!! I think I'd try the Disneyland Hotel. Just walking through it after dinner at Goofy's Kitchen totally makes me want to stay there.

But for now, I'm thankful for any Disney vacation I can get and will happily stay at Hojo's and DI&S in order to make our vaction happen! They are clean, close and less than half the price which is important to us right now.

Kirsten
kirstie101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
scoker
Mouseketeer

I've done both already and they both have their advantages. I loved staying at GCH and would love to try the DLH. If I was going during a warm busy time of year I would choose on site if the budget allowed.

This time I'm going in February. I'm using my annual pass that I got for our trip so I only have to get a ticket for DD6. This is a total budget trip because it really is an extra trip for 2013. If I wasn't saving on the ticket and off site hotel we wouldn't be going at all. Off site is way better than no site IMO!!!!!
scoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
samsonpete
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at PPH and the GCV. I didn't find PPH worth the cost, but you just cannot beat how close to the parks you are at the GCH! It was so convenient! Next year we are going to stay at the DLH so we can compare them all! We have also stayed at hojo a couple times and have had awful experiences, even though it was super cheap. I told my husband there is just no way, no matter how cheap it is the I am going back to hojo!
samsonpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Keep in mind that when you go for 10 days to 2 weeks, you'll need to buy 2 or maybe 3 separate tickets per person. DLR only sells 5 day tickets now.
We went for 9 days and bought Premium Annual Passports. In the end, they wound up saving us more than they cost us because we got a FANTASTIC rate on an off-site hotel, plus we used the dining and merchandise discounts. Moreover, what we did was we bought them for Christmas week last year, and this year, we are going again in mid-December, so we'll get another 5-6 days use out of them; effectively two years worth of trips. Overall, it proved to be a pretty good deal.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: