Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando

Live from the Montezuma's Revenge room - Stick a fork in this turkey (update 10/5)

This first post is a PDR for those that hate PDRs...the car is packed and the next time I report will be (almost) live! We have the DxDP and this is probably WAY too much food even though DW and I are both pretty big eaters. Sharing a single plate is OUT although we may share bits of appetizers or our own plates. The goal of this trip is to knock off a bucket list of new places. I will be posting pictures with each review. The ADRs are always subject to change.

The game plan stacks up something like this:

Fri 14 arrive Ohana 6:25p

I've been trying to bump this one back an hour or two or even later in the week without luck just in case we're delayed but I think we'll be ok.

Sat 15 AK Rainforest Cafe 8:30a / Tusker House 12:25p / 1900PF 6:00p

Pretty straightforward.

Sun 16 HS Pepper Market / Sci Fi 11:20a / 50's PTC 5:30p

This is possibly my favorite day. And get your red-blue glasses ready because this trip report is in 3D! I admit I have some reservations about 50's PTC but I don't really like anything else on the TS menu and this does knock this off of my bucket list.

Mon 17 MK Chef Mickey's 7:55a / Tony's 12:05p / LTT 5:20p

Chef Mickey's was one tough ADR to get, second only to LC. After swapping about 3 times I finally landed a nearly perfect time. We're also looking forward to Tony's to satisfy our curiosity that the bad reviews are warranted or not. Liberty Tree Tavern had the distinction of being the first "real" meal we ever ate at WDW and DW wanted to go there again, even though it's no longer a character meal. Our goal this day is the MSEP.

Tue 18 MNSSHP Kona 8:30a / Pepper Market or MK? / CRT 4:25p

A slow day while we get ready for the party although DW and I are keeping our options open to head to the MK early. DW lands her dream of eating in the castle!

Wed 19 rest day. 1900PF 8:30a / Olivia's 12:30p / Maya Grill 5:30p

Relax. Repeat as necessary. I'm really looking forward to the conch fritters at Olivia's.

Thur 20 Epcot Akershus 8:30a / Le Cellier 11:35a / Rose & Crown 6:35p

I'd originally blown off Le Cellier for my old standby Biergarten and even briefly considered Les Chefs, but when I heard it was going to signature for lunch I decided to get it knocked off the bucket list. Getting a reservation with only 2.5 months to go has been a pain and I'm still not happy with the time as I would have preferred 12-12:30. DW also surprised me by insisting we get R&C and keep it rather than try something else. The only other place she really wanted was San Angel but I didn't care for the food. Les Chefs was similar was the only thing I really cared about is the mac and cheese.

Fri 21 MNSSHP Cape May (trying for walkup) / WCC or Olivia's walkup / Crystal Palace 5:40p

Most of this day is open. Since we've eaten at CP several times in the past this one is iffy but it was a primo ADR for MNSSHP.

Sat 22 Ohana 9:40a

It begins and ends with Ohana. This is DW's favorite ADR due to Stitch. After this we head to New Orleans for another week.

I get really bummed out that there are so many good places for dinner and not enough for lunch. I couldn't find room to fit a Cape May dinner and DW may insist we make room for something at DtD.

Last edited by Buckimion; 10-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Buckimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Count me in!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

I'm in too!! I'm looking forward to reading your reviews... you're going to alot of the places that we're going to try for the first time too. Have fun!!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

Count me in. I'm looking forward to hearing how you feel eating 3 sit downs a day for most of your trip. My wife and I tried that (we're BIG eaters) and failed. It might be because both of our parents ingrained the "clean your plate" mentality into us. Try as we might, we just can't break it! Now, we do a breakfast or lunch sit down and a signature dinner on DxDP.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for the reviews! I love your ADRs!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Have a great trip!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
ILikeWaffles
Mouseketeer

Have a wonderful trip! I'm looking forward to the reviews.
ASMO -Feb. 2014

ILikeWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Safe travels to you! Enjoy all those good eats, and starting off with Ohana is a great way to usher in a vacation!!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

I hope you have a great trip! I can't wait for your reviews!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Buckimion

Not quite a dining update as our 'Ohana ADR is in an hour, but wanted to note that I had a VERY easy check-in at the CSR with multiple clerks waving for me when I walked up.

We got the refillable mugs from Cafe Rix where we had our choice of pink, black and blue; DW surprising me by picking pink, leaving me with black.

Unfortunately Cafe Rix does not have my preferred drink of iced tea for the mugs. Well, there is still Pepper Market, Siestas and the Laguna bar to check.

Last edited by Buckimion; 09-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Buckimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Will be reading!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Good to hear there were plenty of friendly clerks at check in at CSR. I have stayed there 4 times and have always had great service.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reviews!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for your reviews!

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
livinlife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
Buckimion

'Ohana: Man vs. Food

For a look at the rest of our trip see:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post46159218

After taking a wrong turn to get to the Poly we still arrived with plenty of time to spare. After checking in 25 minutes early for our ADR we were seated 10 minutes later than scheduled. While amusing the first time or two, the "Aloha cousin" got old really quick although DW seemed to enjoy it. Without asking, we were seated at a three-top table at the windows overlooking the gardens below.

Maurice was our server and quite ready to jump into the picture when trying for a candid shot of the presentation. I tend to consume plenty of drink during meals and have been concerned about this lack of service at some of my meals. A few minutes after my glass of tea went empty the first time he provided a top off which I consumed within minutes. Returning with one of the courses and seeing the again-empty glass he clucked and shook his head and left with my glass. I thought he was going to bring some sort of joke oversized cup out but he just returned with two glasses.

However, he refused to allow these to become empty before the end of the meal and continued to make passes with a pitcher to keep them topped up.
When it came to the main courses, another server followed my instructions of only a single piece of meat or two to leave room for a taste of everything. (Which was excellent BTW except for the noodles which I didn't care for. DW raved over them though.) When Maurice saw the other server doling out a single piece of pork he chided him for not piling it on and proceeded to load me with about 6 pieces of steak. Not to give up there, he quickly returned with an entire skewer of shrimp for me.

Not one to back down from a challenge I actually ate it all, forcing Maurice to call a truce.

The pace of the meal was a little faster than I would have liked and at one point it seemed as though the restaurant was half-empty despite a zoo out in the waiting area but these are minor complaints against the great taste of the food.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: