Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Pro's of Poly:

- Monorail to MK and Epcot
- Beautiful
- Watch wishes from room or beach
- Watch castle change colors from room or beach
- Listen to MK music from room or beach

Pro's of YC:

- MUCH better pool
- You can walk to either HS or Epcot
- Access to Boardwalk for some nightime fun.

Cons of Poly:

- Price is a bit higher
- Busses tend to be slower to AK. I find this true of Poly and GF (we have left from both to AK)
- Pool is nice, but no YC/BC.

Cons of YC:

- Must walk through Epcot to get to monorail or ride bus to AK or MK.
- Convenience not as great unless you want to spend most time at Epcot/HS.

Any others?

2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
Sparrow624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! We're still undecided though! My husband and I love the theming of the Poly (He lived in Hawaii for 3 years while in the military and thinks it looks like fun and I've wanted to stay there since I went to the luau as a child.) My husband's jaw hit the floor when I told him the price though, and this is for value season! We are used to paying $120 for our off-site rental but I keep telling him this is for the experience and there's a good probablility of free dining when we go which would help justify the cost. We'd want to be guaranteed a balcony/patio room though and I'm not sure that can be done at Poly.

On the other hand, YC would definitely give us a balcony/patio and the pool looks like it can't be beat for the kids.

But Poly is on the monorail - how easy and fun!

But from YC we could walk to Epcot and DHS!

Decisions, decisions! We are fortunate that we are finally able to afford one of these rooms for a few nights. We want to make the right decision!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
Sparrow624

Poly will gauruntee you a balcony...You will just pay extra. Book a TP view room.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
catho72
DIS Veteran

How many nights will you be staying? Have you considered doing a split stay? This way you can enjoy both resorts and don't have to choose!

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay

catho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow624 View Post
Poly will gauruntee you a balcony...You will just pay extra. Book a TP view room.
What is TP view?
Any way to guarantee a standard view room with a balcony or patio?

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese

What is TP view?
Theme park view. No way to guarantee a balcony or patio. All theme park view rooms do not have balconies. Some are on the 2nd floor in buildings with no balconies on the 2nd floor.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

You can't be guaranteed a balcony or patio at the Poly but you can request one. Another advantage at the Poly is the day bed is a regular twin sized bed so it is a bit larger than the daybed at the YC.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
1Jackpot
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at both and I don't think you can go wrong with either resort, to be honest. They are both stunningly beautiful and the accomadations are wonderful. The only slight pro the Poly has is the monorail. I'd stay at both again in a heartbeat!
1Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Jackpot View Post
We've stayed at both and I don't think you can go wrong with either resort, to be honest. They are both stunningly beautiful and the accomadations are wonderful. The only slight pro the Poly has is the monorail. I'd stay at both again in a heartbeat!
Our family has stayed 3 times at the Polynesian and also twice at Yacht and once at Beach club. We really love both so it's a hard decision. Rooms are much nicer at IMO at yacht/Beach but I love the theme at Poly. The monorail is great but so is waing to Epcot & HS. The boardwalk area is a lot of fun and both resorts have movies/ campfire on the beach each night. My husband prefers Yacht/Beach over Poly. I lean slightly towards the Poly for convenience of getting to MK. Also we love the restaurants, Kona & 'Ohana, at the Polynesian. But the pool is much bigger more fun at Y&B. Either way you can't go wrong and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. This is always a hard choice for me when choosing a deluxe. I usually go with whichever has a better discount if it's significant.
kaysmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #25
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone know the square footage of the bc/yc vs poly?
Rooms at the Poly average 409 sq ft, while rooms at YC average 380 sq ft.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #26
Sparrow624

I guess I was wrong, sorry about that. I don't know why I thought all POLY TP view rooms had a balcony. My bad. I know all GF TP view rooms do, guess I made a wrong assumption.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
summersalt
DIS Veteran

My vote is for the YC!

There are lots of people at the Poly that are not guests of the resort visiting for Ohana, Kona, and Wishes on the beach... Making it feel crowded and loud.

DH DD ME Sandy
summersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
TJA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
We would be spending most of our time at MK
In my opinion, that's the clincher right there -- I'd go with Poly due to location and considering the fact that you'll be going to MK a lot. Our family prefers Epcot park, even when our kids were babies/toddlers. So BC/YC has always been an easy choice for us. And the pool is perfect for all ages (it has a huge sandy, shallow pool for the little ones), but I noticed you have 3 kids and that might be challenging keeping an eye on all 3 as it's a very spread-out pool area. We only have 2 kids so it has always been easy for us.

As far as the Poly pool, my kids like that too. It's nice being able to see Wishes right from the pool and beach area. And my kids like the volcano slide at Poly too. It's just hard to compare it to the YC/BC pool....
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #29
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
What is TP view?
TP is theme park view, for example, rack rate on a 'garden view' @ the Poly during the cheapest value season is $405 weeknight, TP view is $545.
Of the 10 Poly longhouses (not including the very expensive all suite Tonga) I believe 7 do not have balconies on one of the floors (usually the second) (not sure about Aotearoa) and 3 have balconies on all floors. There is, unfortunately, no "balcony" category you can book, so a not insignificant % (just under 25% - 1/3 of 7 longhouse rooms of 10 longhouses total) of guests will not have a balcony when the Poly is near capacity. Some people don't care, but if you're spending a nice chunk of change and you do care about having a balcony, then you might keep this issue in mind.
Perhaps this will be changed when they do the extensive Poly renovations rumored to be in the works.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and the Poly is my favorite over the two for these reasons:

Poly Pros:
1-huge rooms, larger than the YC
2-More comfy day bed than YC, and a day bed in every room. No worries about not getting one
3-Getting MK took 5min tops on the monorail...so much fun. MK from YC was 35-40min. Seemed like we were always waiting for a bus to come, multiple resort stops and then finally on our way
4-Smaller layout for rooms closer to the lobby. We requested room on 1st floor close to the pool and lobby at the Poly and got an awesome room, steps to the GCH and pools. Our room at YC was far from the pool and lobby. Took quite a while to get there and was not convenient for refilling our mug or getting quick service food.
5-Captain cooks, open 24 hours a day. Good food and central location to refill our mug
6-walking to the TTC. Easy to walk to the TTC and get onto the EPCOT monorail
7-Buses to AK, DTD and water parks were quicker. YC area buses share with BC and can go to the Swan and Dolphin and Boardwalk before going to your destination. We ended up taking a cab a few times this year, never did that at the Poly
8-watching Wishes from your room, beach or pool. Not having to fight the MK crowd for a good Wishes spot was awesome!

YC pros:
1-SAB pool is awesome, much better than the Poly pool. We did not like the main pool at the Poly much, very small and crowded. The quiet pool was better for us.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: