Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
MacFam4
Mouseketeer

Review of AoA Little Mermaid section

My friend and I flew down for a quick girls trip and stayed at Art of Animation Little Mermaid section Sept 26-Oct 1. We arrived at the resort on Wednesday afternoon. My friend had already done online check in, and we only waited for a few minutes to get our packet.

The lobby is very pretty when you first walk in...excellent details. The service at the front desk was great every time we stopped by. BUT, check in lines on Saturday and Sunday were crazy long!!!! Glad we didn't have to stand in them! There looked to be a table with free cookies and drinks available in the lobby on Saturday; I didn't notice this on Sunday. It is a little hike from the lobby/food court to the LM section, but I don't think it's more than about 5 minutes. I would not carry a food tray from the food court to the LM section as we saw some people doing...too far for that. But even after a long day at the parks, the walk wasn't unbearable.

We stayed in building 7, behind Ursula, 3rd floor. I think we were both pleasantly surprised when we first opened the door to our room...it was adorable!! The details were great, and there was such a clean, new feel. The absolute only complaint was a wash cloth that was lying on the table. I think the housekeeper must have left it there when she was making our Mickey towel. It didn't seem to be dirty, but still kind of weird. Housekeeping was great the whole time we were there. Of course with two adults we didn't make much of a mess at all. The tub/shower was great!!!

The beds were very firm but very comfortable. The comforter was so stiff it felt like cardboard, so it was never used. Storage is pretty limited, only 3 drawers.

The room itself was small, just like the other value resorts. It was perfect for the two of us, but a family of 4 would be cramped. Although we've stayed at Pop as a family of 4 and it was doable. We didn't swim at all, but the pools looked great! I think my favorite section though was the Cars section. It was themed wonderfully!

We only ate at the food court twice, once for lunch and once for breakfast. We didn't walk over to Pop, but it's not far at all.

I think my absolute only complaint was the buses. It seemed like we waited quite a bit both at the resort and at the parks, but nothing too terrible.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer!
MacFam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
belle07
Mouseketeer

Are the the little mermaid rooms close to the main building? What building is closer to the main building?
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
MacFam4
Mouseketeer

We were in bldg 7 and it is probably the closest LM building, but it is still a good 5 minute walk from the main building.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
tennessee
Mouseketeer

we also just got back from the lm section , stayed in building 8. Really nice. The car sections is wonderful, they really did a great job on the section. I felt like the walk was just to far. Did enjoy the pool at the little mermaid,not very busy. I did not like the food court. I did like the size of the food court and differnt drink stations. Also like the new safes with the punch in codes,have they updated the other values with these? Would I stay there again, no would stay in car section and take the grandkid for that. But would not walk to lm with a little one. Im in pretty good shape and after a long day at the park did not look forward to the walk back.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

Thanks for the review. We are planning on staying here within the next year.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

OP, I was interested in your review because we stayed in a LM room a couple of weeks ago, for one night. Tho I, like you, found the decor charming, I thought it was too spread out. We were in building 9 (Triton) We didn't try to walk from our building to Animation Hall, but drove instead.
Like you also, I thought the comforter was very stiff and uncomfortable. I would hope for future guests that washings will soften it.
We only ate 2 meals in the food court but thought each was ok. There seemed to be plenty of choices, and we didn't have a problem standing in line either ordering food or checking out.
We didn't swim either and didn't really go close enough to the pool to check it out in detail. What we did see looked really cute tho.
All in all, I prefer mods or deluxe (preferably) when at WDW, but we were eager to stay in a brand-new resort, and chose Little Mermaid to save money.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Jedimike
Mouseketeer

Those of you that have stayed recently in a Little Mermaid (or other value resort) -- do you think we can fit a full size air mattress on the floor somewhere?
[2001 - All-Star Movies] [2007 - All-Star Music] [2009 - Caribbean Beach] [2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge / Contemporary] [2012 - Grand Floridian] [2012 - Art of Animation (Little Mermaid)/ Polynesian] [2013 - Wilderness Lodge] [2014 - Polynesian]
Jedimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimike View Post
Those of you that have stayed recently in a Little Mermaid (or other value resort) -- do you think we can fit a full size air mattress on the floor somewhere?
In my opinion, you could not.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with the PP there's really no room for an air mattress. Shoot we had trouble finding a good out of the way place for the stiff comforters. Ended up putting them in front of the door at night (no not room for an air mattress there IMO)

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review! The resort looks great and the theming is magnificent!!!

Did you arrive to AoA after 3 pm? Or since you did the online check in you got your room earlier????

Thanks!!

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Single, yes. Full would be a problem.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
MacFam4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasiaMagic View Post
Thanks for the review! The resort looks great and the theming is magnificent!!!

Did you arrive to AoA after 3 pm? Or since you did the online check in you got your room earlier????

Thanks!!

-FantasiaMagic
no, we arrived before 3pm, probably close to 2pm. The resort didn't seem to be very full Wed-Fri, but once the weekend hit, there were people everywhere.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
MacFam4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
Single, yes. Full would be a problem.
I agree, you could find room for a single, definitely not a full.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
MacFam4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
OP, I was interested in your review because we stayed in a LM room a couple of weeks ago, for one night. Tho I, like you, found the decor charming, I thought it was too spread out. We were in building 9 (Triton) We didn't try to walk from our building to Animation Hall, but drove instead.
Like you also, I thought the comforter was very stiff and uncomfortable. I would hope for future guests that washings will soften it.
We only ate 2 meals in the food court but thought each was ok. There seemed to be plenty of choices, and we didn't have a problem standing in line either ordering food or checking out.
We didn't swim either and didn't really go close enough to the pool to check it out in detail. What we did see looked really cute tho.
All in all, I prefer mods or deluxe (preferably) when at WDW, but we were eager to stay in a brand-new resort, and chose Little Mermaid to save money.
We typically stay in mods, and if it were my family of 4 on vacation, I would go back to a mod. I have teenage boys, (almost 12 and 16), and we are more comfortable in a larger room with double sinks. I don't think we would stay in the suites...for that price I would stay Wyndham Bonnet Creek again. But for a trip with 2 adults, we were fine in the LM room.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Nope, but a single would fit if you put it upright during the daytime.

I imagine that AoA is laid out pretty much the same as Pop, which would put the LM rooms in the same area as the 50's section of Pop. I've stayed in bldg 2, third floor, as far to the back as humanly possible. I didn't find the walk to the food court to be too bad..under 5 mins. My room at POR was much further out and I still carried a tray to the room every morning!!
I'm looking forward to my one night stay in a LM room in Dec...it looks incredible!!! Thanks for the review!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: