Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

Disney Trip for Christmas present

I was just thinking... We have a trip planned for end of March. Days before DD 6th Birthday.
We go every year around her birthday and usually surprise her. This year I wondering if I should "wrap " it under the tree for Us for Christmas.... From Santa ???? This would give her time to enjoy thinking about going and be part of the plans ( Adrs already booked) She doesn't really need or want for any toys...it would just be stupid crap I would be wrapping to put under the tree...
Of course I would still buy her some gifts but this would be the BIG E .

What are your thoughts ??
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
RumpleMom
DIS Veteran

Christmas to March is a long time for a 6 year old to wait for a present.

I think Christmas and birthday presents should be separate. If you really want to tell her at Christmas, then give her a WDW planning book for kids. She is old enough to help with the planning, especially since she has been there before and knows what to expect.

Start a way to mark off the days until your trip some time after the New Year.
RumpleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
jessica23
Mouseketeer

Early Jan sure for a 6 year old, but 3 full months later? Not a Christmas present anymore!

jessica23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I agree with PP- maybe get her the book and some Disney related items for Christmas.

We surprised my 4 year old DS last month and didnt tell him to the day- I knew he wouldnt be able to stand waiting months!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I don't think a 6yo will appreciate unwrapping a gift that won't happen for months. Making the announcement at Christmas is a fun idea, but I wouldn't make the trip the present - I'd wrap a couple of smaller things for the trip, a countdown calendar, Guide To The Magic for Kids or Birnbaum's WDW For Kids to get her started helping with the planning, that sort of thing, but I wouldn't make the trip itself her major gift.

I'm thinking about a trip for my 4yo as a Christmas gift because she's a kid who needs/wants nothing right now, but I'm not even sure about a 10 day delay (we'd be traveling the first weekend in January) because it would be her big gift and much of what she'd have under the tree would be trip-related. I don't want to take away from the fun of getting all the presents out to play with on Christmas day.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
lucifie
DIS Veteran

We're giving the kids a trip to WDW for Christmas from us. We're going January 21-27. That's going to be their big gift, but they'll get other related things as well. I'll probably get them each a plush Disney character and/or a t-shirt with their favorite character and a kids guidebook for them to share. I'm thinking of making a countdown chain (I saw a cute Mickey-themed one on Pinterest the other day) and wrapping it up, too. Santa will be fairly normal, but scaled down a bit and more Disney-themed. I'm planning on putting a Disney GC in each stocking. Also on Pinterest I found some instructions to make some Mickey and Minnie ornaments and I was thinking about making a bunch of them and have Santa leave them all over the Christmas tree.

Once we tell them, we'll spend the next 3 weeks looking at books and videos and finding out what they're interested in doing and seeing.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I wouldn't even make the announcement at Christmas, for a 5 to 6 year old that's a long time to wait. Plus at that age they don't really have a concept of what things cost so you don't have to spend as much at Christmas so you can save more to spend at Disney and you could focus more on needs instead of more junk. Things like pajamas, you could still do Disney t-shirts or other trip related items, craft supplies (things you would use up like paint).

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
la79al
DIS Veteran

I agree that it MIGHT be too long of a gap. What about things she will need for the trip or (saw this in some other threads) putting together supplies for some Disney nights? If you go with stuff to get her excited about the trip rather than 'here are the park tickets, sit back and wait 4 months', I think you could pull it off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: