Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
jdjd2004
Earning My Ears

Norovirus Disney Dream 9/20-9/23

Thought I would start this thread to see if anyone else from our cruise was suffering. After a fun Saturday on Castaway Cay, lunch at Cookies Too and dinner at Royal Palace, my husband became gravely ill with repeated bouts of vomiting and diarrhea, chills, fever, and muscle aches. Almost 20 hours after it started, he is still suffering. We called the Health Center at 1 a.m. on Sunday morning and were told it would be $220 to be seen. Since he knew would be off the ship in the morning (and home within and hour), my husband declined. Since my husband's illness was not "tracked" by the health center, I wonder how many other unreported cases might be out there.

Aside from the illness, and the rather snarky nurse at the health center, it was a really great cruise!
jdjd2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjd2004 View Post
Thought I would start this thread to see if anyone else from our cruise was suffering. After a fun Saturday on Castaway Cay, lunch at Cookies Too and dinner at Royal Palace, my husband became gravely ill with repeated bouts of vomiting and diarrhea, chills, fever, and muscle aches. Almost 20 hours after it started, he is still suffering. We called the Health Center at 1 a.m. on Sunday morning and were told it would be $220 to be seen. Since he knew would be off the ship in the morning (and home within and hour), my husband declined. Since my husband's illness was not "tracked" by the health center, I wonder how many other unreported cases might be out there.

Aside from the illness, and the rather snarky nurse at the health center, it was a really great cruise!
Sorry to hear your husband was ill...but how do you know it was norovirus and not just the flu or something else. Also sorry you had a snarky nurse.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

My thought was the same as MJ's. Even with a trip to the health center, they could only make a "presumptive diagnosis." They are not equipped to do viral identification. They would check out the guest and end up with "yes, it looks like XYZ." In reality, there is little reason to do viral IDs as long as the person is getting better.

Yeah, we had a rather snarky nurse on the Magic once too...but the doc was great. Sorry for your experience. I hope your DH is better.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
jdjd2004
Earning My Ears

Our diagnosis is also presumptive based upon symptoms, timing and circumstances and the fact that norovirus is one of the most common causes of gastroenteritis among cruise passengers. I'm taking him to the ER in an hour if he's not feeling better, so I will let you know what the confirmed diagnosis is.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I hope he starts to feel better soon.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i hope he feels better soon!!! please do let us know how he is!

if he's still not keeping in fluids, you really need to get him to medical care to get him hydrated.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear he was sick. We just got off the same cruise and had a large DIS group and none of us were sick.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

So sorry that your DH got sick. Hope he is feeling better now.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
jdjd2004
Earning My Ears

Thanks to all for the good wishes. He's definitely feeling better, but by no means 100%. From the lack of responses, I'm getting the sense that this is an isolated case. So glad. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjd2004 View Post
Thanks to all for the good wishes. He's definitely feeling better, but by no means 100%. From the lack of responses, I'm getting the sense that this is an isolated case. So glad. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
i hope it's isolated!! we'll be on the oct 21 cruise and one of the things i've worried about is my mom and sister being exposed to something on the ship.
That's really the reason i picked a 4 day cruise rather than 7 days. I figured less time to be exposed.

by the way, the description sounds a bit like food poisoning. A bad case of food poisoning can knock you our for about 3 to 4 days and feels like THE most intense case of flu you'll ever have.
Did your husband eat any tuna fish while he was on board? That's one of the more notorious causes of serious food poisoning. But it can be many things.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
MickeyAB
Earning My Ears

similar situation

We can understand. Last summer we were on the Dream with the same senario. We had snorkeled at CC, lunch on CC and dinner at RP. During the evening show, my DH started feeling bad. Before the night was out, he was having the same symptoms. He was the only one in the group. We had tasted some things (but not all from his dinner) and had thought about food poisioning, but disregarded it and no one else came down with anything. He stayed in the room while we were in our next port and felt somewhat better by the next evening and was better the following day. It seems to be a shorter time than you experienced. We were wondering if there was something in the snorkel, or if he got into something while in the water. Hope everyone is feeling better.
MickeyAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

I am so sorry to hear that your DH is sick, what a way to end a cruise!

I had Norwalk on a Wonder cruise about 9-10 years ago and will never, ever forget it. Definitely not something you would ever wish on someone else.

I too had a snarky nurse, but the DR was amazing!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyAB View Post
We can understand. Last summer we were on the Dream with the same senario. We had snorkeled at CC, lunch on CC and dinner at RP. During the evening show, my DH started feeling bad. Before the night was out, he was having the same symptoms. He was the only one in the group. We had tasted some things (but not all from his dinner) and had thought about food poisioning, but disregarded it and no one else came down with anything. He stayed in the room while we were in our next port and felt somewhat better by the next evening and was better the following day. It seems to be a shorter time than you experienced. We were wondering if there was something in the snorkel, or if he got into something while in the water. Hope everyone is feeling better.
Me, too!! I did ingest some water while snorkeling. The only thing I ate different than family was the shrimp cocktail...but on the 9/8 cruise I became very ill...chills, body aches, nausea, intense intestinal cramping...lasted 24 hours but stayed very weak...it has been 10 days now and my gut still feels tender...it was really horrible.

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Me, too!! I did ingest some water while snorkeling. The only thing I ate different than family was the shrimp cocktail...but on the 9/8 cruise I became very ill...chills, body aches, nausea, intense intestinal cramping...lasted 24 hours but stayed very weak...it has been 10 days now and my gut still feels tender...it was really horrible.
Do you think that's only related to cruising? In January we stayed for a week at WDW in a resort and I came down with the same thing. Very intence flu symptoms. In fact, I didn't make it out of Epcot in time. But it was gone within 24 hours and I was able to carry on with the vacation. At the time, we only lived an hour away so it couldn't have been the water or anything.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
argomANIA
Mouseketeer

My husband and I just got off the same cruise as OP and we're both fine.

Glad your hubby is starting to feel better.

Disney Dream 3 night Bahama Cruise December 2011
Disney Dream 3 night Bahama Cruise September 2012
Disney Wonder 4 night Bahama Cruise November 2014
argomANIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream, illness, norovirus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: