Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
dgagnon519
DVC member AKL since 2008

Airfare/school/Money

Jetblu has their June calendar out. I can save $240 if I leave 2 days before planned. That means the kids will miss the last 2 days of school. They will miss snow days anyway, but we are not worried so much about that.
I guess I am asking how do teachers feel about kids missing the last 2 days of school and snow days?
I really won't be saving money in the sense that If I leave 2 days early I will have to pay for a hotel. I guess I would rather spend the money being in Disney 2 days longer than on airfare.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 8 nights
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - 2 nights
Old Key West - 2 nights
Art of Animatition - 1 night
2011- Calypso Cay (off property) - 5 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Baylake Tower - 1 night
Saratoga Springs - 3 nights
Boardwalk - 2 nights
2010 - Old Key West - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - 4 nights
2009 - Pop Century - 10 nights
2007 - All Star Music - 8 nights
dgagnon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Don't know how the teachers feel about it. I would ask your kids, mine wouldn't care, but some kids might. I feel the entire last month are more about marking time & playing games than learning. We take finals with over 3+ weeks left to go.....and then wonder why parents feel school is marking time to hit 180 days for state aid.
Do your kids have 1/2 or full days that last week? Might also make a difference, as that also isn't stabdardized....
Good luck, we have booked for last day before, only to have last day scrubbed & not needed to miss.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
amomma23
DIS Veteran

My husband is a teacher and by the last few days of school he'd be fine if no one showed up! As long as the kids don't mind and they're not missing any final tests, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

not a teacher, but a sister of a teacher & have been a room mom many times. last few days of school were early dismissal days & mostly cleaning days. Besides the days of cleaning out desks, lockers, closets, we had a party. It was not unusual to see 1 or 2 or 3 students absent from those final days of school.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Academically they will miss nothing. I would book it and not worry about it. Even if the kids might whine a bit over missing the last few days activities, this is one of those things, I as a parent would over rule. If however, you feel otherwise, I would at least consult the kids for their opinion. The earlier you can go, the lower the crowds and the temps!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
dgagnon519
DVC member AKL since 2008

Thanks everybody, I will ask the kids their opinion. At least I feel a little better about it now.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 8 nights
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - 2 nights
Old Key West - 2 nights
Art of Animatition - 1 night
2011- Calypso Cay (off property) - 5 nights
Baylake Tower - 1 night
Saratoga Springs - 3 nights
Boardwalk - 2 nights
2010 - Old Key West - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - 4 nights
2009 - Pop Century - 10 nights
2007 - All Star Music - 8 nights
dgagnon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
tomi

Welcomed Guest

Totally depends on how old your kids are. Our high school has finals through the last day of school. You miss a final - you get a zero - the only exception is a doctors note and then it has to be Okayed by the principal.
tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomi View Post
Totally depends on how old your kids are. Our high school has finals through the last day of school. You miss a final - you get a zero - the only exception is a doctors note and then it has to be Okayed by the principal.
Our last two days are also final exams and you can not miss them and keep your grade up!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomi View Post
This is true of my DD's school as well. It also depends on their attendance throughout the rest of the year. I believe only so many days can be missed at a lot of schools. As others have said; ask your children's opionions. My DD9 has requested me not to pull her out of school any more. So, only summer and school vacations for me.

Happy planning!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

I don't think that any teacher would mind at the end of the year. I've always have taken my daughter out of school for any Disney trip we have taken. First time she was in 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, and 12th. She was a good student and her work was always done. The months have been Feb. Sept. and Dec. We love to go the first week of Dec. It is the cheapest and less crowds. And I'm also for saving money.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Depends on the school. Unless they have tests, the school likely won't care at all. DD is in elementary and she would not be happy about missing the last couple of days of school because they schedule fun things the whole last week. One of the last couple of days they have a big party for all the kids who have birthdays in the summer. Now, even with the fun things, I'm guessing if I told her she had a choice between those last 2 days or WDW for 2 extra days, there is a good chance WDW might win out!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
Depends on the school. Unless they have tests, the school likely won't care at all. DD is in elementary and she would not be happy about missing the last couple of days of school because they schedule fun things the whole last week. One of the last couple of days they have a big party for all the kids who have birthdays in the summer. Now, even with the fun things, I'm guessing if I told her she had a choice between those last 2 days or WDW for 2 extra days, there is a good chance WDW might win out!

With my daughter WDW would win!!! We are huge Disney fan. I think Mickey was one of her first words. LOL

You can also celebrate your daughters B-day at Disney. Do you know about the B-day pin?? You can get one at your resort. My daughters B-day is Dec 28 so she always feels cheated at that time until we went to WDW. We got her a B-day pin and celebrated the whole week. One day we counted how many times someone said happy B-day to her. It was over 1000.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

It depends on where you live. You will have to check with your schools.

Around here it would be a big problem since that is when finals take place in the middle and high schools. And they don't let you take them early so it would be a no go for my family.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

We also have finals the last 2 days of school so being absent would be a problem.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
stm61
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomma23 View Post
My husband is a teacher and by the last few days of school he'd be fine if no one showed up! As long as the kids don't mind and they're not missing any final tests, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
I'm with your husband! By the last week of school I'm begging my kids to stay home About half the class does, the rest are ALWAYS there, even when they're sick.
stm61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: