Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Fellow DVC'ers, help with Bonnet Creek?

We decided to take a last minute trip early in November, but it's slim pickings at any DVC locations, not surprisingly. We started looking into alternatives, and I know Bonnet Creek has come up quite a bit here. Can anybody tell me how it compares to a typical DVC unit-wise? Also, is there a way to rent points similarly to DVC, or should we just look into a cash reservation?

Our alternative is to get a cash room on property, we are thinking possibly GF since the wife has never been there but it's EXPENSIVE and we're not sure we'd like being in a regular hotel room....
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
LoriKutchey
DIS Veteran

They allow rentals up to 45 days in advance on TUG. You may want to check over there for something.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45
LoriKutchey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc2003 View Post
Can anybody tell me how it compares to a typical DVC unit-wise?
If you can tell me what size unit you're interested in, I can get you the sizes. They have 1, 2, 3, and 4 bedrooms...no studios
Quote:
Also, is there a way to rent points similarly to DVC, or should we just look into a cash reservation?
Yes, you can (and should) rent from an owner. Check the DIS Orlando Hotels & Attractions forum for TONS of info on WBC, including rental sources. You should be able to get a 2 BR for well under $1,000 for an entire week. In particular, look for the "We love Bonnet Creek" and Bonnet Creek photo threads.

If there is anything specific you want to know, let me know.

I did a very quick availability check and found limited availability in early November -- but that is really going to depend on your arrival date, size of unit and number of nights. At this point, obviously the longer the stay the more difficult the availability.

If you can give me more specifics, I can do a check for you. The availability I see won't really mean anything until you hook up with an owner and are ready to book, but it will give you some idea.

I don't rent points, and don't personally know anyone to recommend.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We decided to take a last minute trip early in November, but it's slim pickings at any DVC locations, not surprisingly. We started looking into alternatives, and I know Bonnet Creek has come up quite a bit here. Can anybody tell me how it compares to a typical DVC unit-wise? Also, is there a way to rent points similarly to DVC, or should we just look into a cash reservation?

Our alternative is to get a cash room on property, we are thinking possibly GF since the wife has never been there but it's EXPENSIVE and we're not sure we'd like being in a regular hotel room....
We haven't actually stayed but I've been on property and seen several rooms there. I think overall it compares favorably to OKW or SSR, likely closer to SSR. The pool is nice but adds a lazy river and kids play area similar to that at AKV. The rooms are probably larger than all but OKW and are about as nice though without granite other than the high end Presidential units. You might also look for a short notice rental into DVC including distressed points. There are other resorts just as nice, or maybe even nicer, but not as close.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
If you can tell me what size unit you're interested in, I can get you the sizes. They have 1, 2, 3, and 4 bedrooms...no studiosYes, you can (and should) rent from an owner. Check the DIS Orlando Hotels & Attractions forum for TONS of info on WBC, including rental sources. You should be able to get a 2 BR for well under $1,000 for an entire week. In particular, look for the "We love Bonnet Creek" and Bonnet Creek photo threads.

If there is anything specific you want to know, let me know.

I did a very quick availability check and found limited availability in early November -- but that is really going to depend on your arrival date, size of unit and number of nights. At this point, obviously the longer the stay the more difficult the availability.

If you can give me more specifics, I can do a check for you. The availability I see won't really mean anything until you hook up with an owner and are ready to book, but it will give you some idea.

I don't rent points, and don't personally know anyone to recommend.
Thanks Jim, we probably have a 15 day window, but ideally we're looking for 11/3-10th, but we wouldn't be heartbroken if it was only 5 days. We also could arrive a few days earlier, but can't stay past the 10th.

We probably won't need more than a 2 bedroom, though we'd take a 3 bedroom if availability is better. We have two kids, ages 4 & 6, and an infant (6 months).
We sort of have to be in the area for my wife's work, so that's why it's so last minute.

If you see availability info that would be great. I've already checked out the threads you referenced, and TUG.
I think I can find something if there are rooms to be had.

Just out of curiosity, how expensive/nice are the 4BR's?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

I think the biggest difference between WBC and the DVC resorts is the size and scope of the property. WBC has +/- 1,200 units in six high-rise towers situated around a large lake, but on a much smaller footprint (not counting the lake) than SSR's 888 units.

At one end of the lake is the Main Building, with the main pool/lazy river, activities areas, and sleezy timeshare sales weasel den (booooo!). At the other end of the lake is the Wyndham Grand Hotel.

In total, there are six pools (including the hotel, which timeshare guest have access to), two lazy rivers, two water slides, several pool bars, a free mini-golf, and a bunch of other stuff like free huge gas BBQs, etc.

Due to the size of the resort, the pools may be more crowded than you're used to at DVC resorts. There is plenty of parking, but it won't be right at your door and may be in a parking garage.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Quote:
Thanks Jim, we probably have a 15 day window, but ideally we're looking for 11/3-10th, but we wouldn't be heartbroken if it was only 5 days. We also could arrive a few days earlier, but can't stay past the 10th.

We probably won't need more than a 2 bedroom, though we'd take a 3 bedroom if availability is better. We have two kids, ages 4 & 6, and an infant (6 months).
We sort of have to be in the area for my wife's work, so that's why it's so last minute.

If you see availability info that would be great. I've already checked out the threads you referenced, and TUG.
I think I can find something if there are rooms to be had.

Just out of curiosity, how expensive/nice are the 4BR's?

Thanks!
I see little availability -- mostly one-bedrooms with a move during your stay.

However, it still might be worth a shot. I would check with one of the big WBC renters and see what they can do. They might already have confirmed reservations that would work for you.

I haven't been in a 4 BR, but the pictures look amazing. All 4 BRs are "Presidential," which translates into "MUCH nicer than DVC furniture and decor." The square footage of the Presidentials is about the same as "Deluxe" (which in Wyndham-speak, means standard), but the occupancy is less and the furnishings are WAY, way nicer.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

There is a great thread on DIS--well, actually 2 threads--located here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46342441
It's called The we loooooove Bonnet Creek thread part2
There is also, obviously, a part 1, and not so obviously, a new part 3. There is a lot of information there, including very economical ways to rent a room there.

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Since this is not a DVC topic we'll move it to the Orlando Board.