Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
snowcupid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
Parking is free if you're staying at the resorts. Also if you have Annual Passes. Not with just regular WDW tickets.

Yes, you can park at DTD and ride in that way, but you can't go directly to "the park of your choice". You have to take a bus from DTD to a resort, then stand in line at the resort to get on the bus to the park of your choice. Plus, DTD busses don't start running until a bit later in the morning, so if making RD is part of your plan, you won't be able to if you park at DTD.

Wow that sounds like a lot to save a little $. We won't be driving at all - just using the buses.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
So why would you want to debate it?
Umm...controversial issues are usually the most fun to debate. Alot more frun than the best Minnie outfit or what kind of shorts to wear in the Fall in my opinion.

To answer the OP, no I have never done it and I never will. I also don't drive in the left lane (knowing it will end soon and seeing a 1/2 mile line of cars in the right lane) and then force myself over to merge at the last moment to reduce my own personal wait time. I don't thnk I am better than anyone else and if there is a line, I will stand and wait my turn because thinking you deserve any more is selfsish in inconsiderate.

I don't base my morals on what is "legal" or "against the rules", but I have a general code I like to live by and looking for the grey area or the easy way out just isn't it.
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Plenty of people have done and will continue to do it.

It's patently wrong to do so.

Discussing ways to break the rules is also forbidden here on the DIS.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjunky View Post
Soooo, im throwin this out there.

I remember a time when my DDad worked for the mouse. We would eat at say, polenesian for bfast. But, we would leave our car there all day while visiting MK then return to it later in the day.

Now, im not confirming or denying i still do this or plan to do it, but is anyone else used to doing this or "know" someone who has done the same?

Just a simple question/debate.
Since you learned this behavior from your father don't forget to teach it to that adorable child in your avatar, of whom you say you are a proud dad!
Family traditions!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
Priskillet
Mouseketeer

Oh boy...it begins

October 2012 Dolphin Hotel
May 2012. Dolphin Hotel
July 2011 Beach Club CL
June 2010 Beach Club
March 2009 Coronado Springs
May 2007 Swan Hotel
Several trips before offsite!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
Umm...controversial issues are usually the most fun to debate. Alot more frun than the best Minnie outfit or what kind of shorts to wear in the Fall in my opinion.

To answer the OP, no I have never done it and I never will. I also don't drive in the left lane (knowing it will end soon and seeing a 1/2 mile line of cars in the right lane) and then force myself over to merge at the last moment to reduce my own personal wait time. I don't thnk I am better than anyone else and if there is a line, I will stand and wait my turn because thinking you deserve any more is selfsish in inconsiderate.

I don't base my morals on what is "legal" or "against the rules", but I have a general code I like to live by and looking for the grey area or the easy way out just isn't it.
FYI: Little known fact: it is actually more efficient, and it reduces traffic congestion to merge as late as possible. All of those people that you describe who are merging at the last moment are actually making traffic flow better! You should thank them, and you should do it yourself!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #22
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580 View Post
Valet(paid) allows parking all day......just not overnight
What about if you have the TIW card which gives you Valet parking if you are dining at a resort? Can you keep your car there all day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
FYI: Little known fact: it is actually more efficient, and it reduces traffic congestion to merge as late as possible. All of those people that you describe who are merging at the last moment are actually making traffic flow better! You should thank them, and you should do it yourself!
I always thought it did so i just looked it up and its been proven true.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Parking at the theme parks is not free if you are not staying at a WDW resort. It is (I think) $15 per day.

Parking at resorts near theme parks is limited to 3 hours (e.g. for a meal), which is why you'll get towed if you take OP's advice.

You could park at DTD for free and take the bus to your resort. To me that sounds like a pain in the butt. I am not sure if that is against any rules.

ETA: Oops, you can't take a bus directly from DTD to a theme park. That makes it even more of a pain in the butt.
Small point of correction: daily parking is still $14.

Quote:
Assuming that's true, I'm relatively certain drivers who do this are not thinking of me and my improved traffic flow as they blow on past.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Where did I speak to the efficiency of where to merge? Again, I do not set my morals based on traffic efficiency. I set them on the right thing to do and what I would want to be done to me.

You do not merge at the very end to help releive traffic congestion. You do it to cut everyone waiting in line and you justify it with the efficiency claim.

When there is construction, I leave earlier. I plan for delays and understand when there are lane closures it will take some adjusting on my part.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Where did I speak to the efficiency of where to merge? Again, I do not set my morals based on traffic efficiency. I set them on the right thing to do and what I would want to be done to me.
Hmmm... I guess we could get into a debate over morality and traffic congestion...

Suppose you are on a four-lane (two lanes in each direction) highway with no construction. Do you think the "right thing to do" is for everyone to only drive in the right lane? Is anyone who chooses to pass in the left lane doing something "immoral"?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
bwang123

Quote:

You do not merge at the very end to help releive traffic congestion. You do it to cut everyone waiting in line and you justify it with the efficiency claim.

When there is construction, I leave earlier. I plan for delays and understand when there are lane closures it will take some adjusting on my part.
or he learned that its helps traffic congestion and now does it.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
MikeyTex
Never Too Old

Quote:
.......Alot more fun than the best Minnie outfit or what kind of shorts to wear in the Fall in my opinion........
Or which color flip-flops to wear on sunny days......or.......are the popcorn bags the same size in MK as they are in AK

.......and I am guilty of asking what I deem "silly" questions as well......it's all in fun.............carry on!
2009 Caribbean Beach
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm relatively certain drivers who do this are not thinking of me and my improved traffic flow as they blow on past.
Exactly, but it helps him sleep at night.

His claims are kinda off based anyway. What he is referring to is discussed in this paper:

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/workshops...ible/McCoy.htm

To summarize, late merging works best when both lanes are used to merge, it is done at low speeds and it is practiced by people in both lanes. Late merging is not more effective when it is on;y done by a few people looking for a shortcut.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I can predict the future of this thread:

1) 90% of respondents will say "no, I've never done it and never will"

2) 10% will say "I do it all the time, what's the big deal"

3) Name-calling and general mayhem will ensue, with accusations of various major character defects.

4) Someone will report the thread.

5) Some poor moderator will have to stop work or whatever else they were doing to close a thread on this topic for the 47,342rd time.

6) Someone will stir the very same pot next week.

This also works for posts on sneaking kids into theme parks, re-using refillable mugs, pool-hopping, cramming extra people into resort rooms....did I forget anything?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Suppose you are on a four-lane (two lanes in each direction) highway with no construction. Do you think the "right thing to do" is for everyone to only drive in the right lane? Is anyone who chooses to pass in the left lane doing something "immoral"?

No, on a highway, in most states, the left lane is for passing. Travelers should remain in the right lane leaving the left for faster travelers who are passing. That makes sense, is fair to all drivers and also happens to be the law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: