Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
NLD
DIS Veteran

Our district always starts the Monday before Labor Day. The kids get out for the year the second week of June (usually early in that week, say about June 6-8).

Other districts around here are similar, though sometimes they start a couple days or so later.

South central Pennsylvania

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum

Last edited by NLD; 10-03-2012 at 04:39 PM.
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

first day is day after labor day.

they get day after thanksgiving off. just a long weekend for presidents.

last day around june 12

they will close for snow days & have to make up after that june 12 date.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
ogreenlee
i surely didn't want to have to use the gorillapod
I'd tell my husband to bite it, but that's just me

I don't think we ever started after Labor Day. I remember always going back to school around my b-day, just before or after (8/20).
ogreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Week before labor day...I am in Central PA.
We get off Wed-Fri Thansgiving week and the monday after (hunting season starts and many kids miss school)
WE get off A full week between Christmas and New years
We get off Wed-Fri around Easter and a few random days here and there.We go 180 days
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Frikadela
Earning My Ears

Wow you guys have loooong summers. Dow what it's worth here on the uk the schools have 2 weeks at Easter, 2 weeks at Christmas and 6 weeks in summer (usually mid July to end August) and one week "half term" holidays in between each of these.

Seems to work well but travel companies as expected take serious liberties with their prices during these times!
Frikadela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
keaster
DIS Veteran

We live in Ontario, Canada.

School year ends at end of June, starts again day after Labour Day in September.

Two week Christmas break (Last couple weeks of December or last week of December/first week of January)

A week for March break (second week in March)

Four day weekend for Easter (Good Friday and Easter Monday, either in March or April whenever Easter is that year).

Also have three day weekends for Thanksgiving (October), Family day (February), Victoria Day (May).

ETA: we are mandated to have a minimum of 188 instructional days

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014

Last edited by keaster; 10-03-2012 at 03:03 PM.
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

Indiana is all over the map--even the 4 school districts within my county aren't all on the same calendar. It's crazy. But I'm pretty sure there is no fall break, at least not a full week. I think they get a three day weekend and call it a break. Some schools get 2 weeks at Christmas and some get 1.5.

TandLMommy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

We are in a suburb of Charlotte, NC. The public schools statewide are required to start no sooner than 8/25 and end no sooner than 6/10. There are a very few exceptons to this rule- counties prone to missing days due to snow or hurricanes can apply for a waiver. Consequently, a few mountain counties in the far west and a few coastal counties start ther year a little earlier. And there are a few schools with a year round or balanced calendar- mostly magnet schools.

MOST public schools follow the following calendar (we have 180 instructional days in the school year):

8/25 or Monday following 8/25: First day of school
3 days for Thanksgiving (Wed-Fri)
2 weeks for Christmas break
1 week for Spring Break (most systems have the week before or week after Easter)
6/10 or Friday before 6/10: Last day of school

No low-crowd Fall or Winter breaks for us...
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
ogreenlee

I guess I should consider us lucky that we get Thanksgiving off for a whole week. We went to Dominican Republic last Tgiving and we're going to Boston to visit relatives this Tgiving. Brrr.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #25
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

We are in Southwestern VA. We start back Aug 23-25 and get Labor Day, Columbus Day off and nothing else till Thanksgiving (Wed-Fri). We get 2 weeks off at Christmas and then head back Jan 2-3. We get a couple of days off in Jan and then Easter week for Spring Break, ending the year around June 10-11. We go 180 days.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
Prose
DIS Veteran

Many, but not all, of the school districts in Indy and suburbs are on the balanced schedule now...Go back first week of August, 2 weeks off in October, 2 weeks Christmas to New Year, two weeks spring break, finish up the end of May. We go 180 days. Lots of people are headed to Florida in October.

Me , DH , DD (14)
MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm in Gwinnett County, GA. We started back on stupid August 6th. We had a chance to stay at the Contemporary from August 8 until August 12th on a convention rate of 145.00 a night but couldn't go because of it.
I was not happy but my husband was - he went to the convention alone and then spent the extra 4 days in the parks.

My kids are older and my high schooler is taking AP classes so there's no way he could've missed school - he had homework starting on Day 1.
School is out the Wednesday before Memorial Day but we can't take any vacation until mid-june due to my husbands work schedule so summer seems extra short to us.

We aren't on a balanced calendar either. No extra breaks thorugh the year yet it's still the full required 180 days of school. And they have one week off at Thanksgiving a week and 2 days or so off for Christmas this year. And a week for Spring Break. Plus a couple of other teacher workday type breaks of one day here and one day there.
I'd prefer if the kids only had thursday and friday off for thanksgiving and would start school 3 days later. That would be something at least. I hate the early start dates here.

We don't normally travel at any of the major holidays - too expensive and too much hassle. We went to WDW once for spring break (week before Easter) and the kids and I had a blast but my husband was miserable - Grumpy is too mild of a name for him on that trip. LOL

I wish we were on a balanced calendar to be able to take advantage of going on vacations at off times.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips

Last edited by GaSleepingBeautyFan; 10-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
ogreenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post

I wish we were on a balanced calendar to be able to take advantage of going on vacations at off times.

As hot as it is around here, it makes sense to split up the breaks. Lots of local counties are doing it, and Dekalb and Fulton are considering it.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Celebration, Fl - we started the 20th of August - two days off on October - week at thanksgiving, two at Christmas and an April break - school is out mid June.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
SCDisneyMom
How would a chihuahua jump over a fence?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreenlee View Post
I live in Cobb County, GA where schools start mid-August. I live on the Cherokee County line and they start back at the beginning of August. Those starting back at the beginning are on what's called the "balanced calendar". They have fall break in Sept, Thanksgiving week, Xmas break, winter break in February, spring break in April, ending at the end of May.

Most of Cobb County wants this calendar but our school board keeps denying it. I think it's because we have two Six Flags parks in our county that would like for school to not start back until mid-September so that they can keep their employees and customers. It's irritating. I like all the breaks. It keeps kids sane.

However, b/c of the popularity of this new calendar, I've noticed that the Sept week is very busy in Florida, and so is the February break. Prices show it.

Just curious what your system has.
I'm in upstate South Carolina (Greenville County) and our schools usually start the third week of August.

We get 2 days off in mid-October for a short fall break (ends up being a 4-day weekend). A lot of people, including us, head down to Disney for a quick trip during that time.

We get 3 days off at Thanksgiving (Wed - Fri), 2 weeks off for Christmas, and 1 week off for Spring Break, which is usually the week before or after Easter. Those are the major break periods...the kids do have the day off on other days here & there (teacher workdays, Presidents' Day, etc). School is usually out the first week of June.

The freshmen & sophomore classes at my son's high school will be going to WDW in February.

Me: Leslie (34) , DH: Ray (36) , DS: Tyler (16)

*Our Disney princess has arrived*
Isla Caroline
October 22, 2013
SCDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: