DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
homeatssr
Mouseketeer

Rules: switching to room w/ lesser points 31+ days

The rule states that the extra points will be added back to your account if you switch to a villa w/ lesser points 31+ days prior to check-in...Does this mean online check-in or when you check-in at front desk(even if using online check-in? Hope this question makes sense!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

It means your arrival date.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Those points will be returned as holding points however.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
homeatssr
Mouseketeer

Okay, this is my first trip, so I'm still learning. That means I would have to use them before December(when 2012 points are banked?) or before April 2013(use year is April?)

I think I understand things, then I don't any more...Sorry for all the questions. I have been studying the member page, but some things that seemed like they made sense when the Rep described them, now seem like another language as I go to "use them." Thanks for patience and any help!

We're not actually planning on switching anything with our trip, just trying to learn things so I don't ever make any mistakes and lose points! Every point counts!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
If the change takes place 31 or more days before arrival they will not go into holding. They will go back into the use year they were in when you made the reservation. That means that if they were borrowed points they will stay borrowed and if they were banked points they will stay banked (both are final transactions and cannot be undone).

So, OP, if you have an April use year and the cancellation happens by 11/30 you would be able to bank those points forward as long as they aren't already banked or borrowed points. If they are banked or borrowed you would have until the following 3/31 to use them.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
Not if the switch occurs at 31+ days prior to check in.

Let's say you book a stay at your home resort at 11-months and it costs you 150 points. Then, at 7-months, you decide to try a different resort which costs you only 120 points. Those extra 30 points will be returned to your account. If they were banked or borrowed, then they will expire at the end of your use year. If they were current points and you are still within your banking window, then they can be banked. They only become holding points if your "downgrade" occurs less than 31 days out. This is why most waitlists are expired once you get to the 31 day mark. If it fills, and it requires fewer points, the leftovers go into holding and cannot be banked. If you want to continue your WL, you have to request that it be extended.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
homeatssr
Mouseketeer

Thanks. This is very helpful. Sorry, one last question, I hope! We had 2011 points that we banked. We're using those and 2012 points for our first trip. They will automatically use up the 2011 banked points, and then take from 2012, correct? So, if I did switch, they would be the 2012 points they gave back?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
Not if the switch occurs at 31+ days prior to check in.

Let's say you book a stay at your home resort at 11-months and it costs you 150 points. Then, at 7-months, you decide to try a different resort which costs you only 120 points. Those extra 30 points will be returned to your account. If they were banked or borrowed, then they will expire at the end of your use year. If they were current points and you are still within your banking window, then they can be banked. They only become holding points if your "downgrade" occurs less than 31 days out. This is why most waitlists are expired once you get to the 31 day mark. If it fills, and it requires fewer points, the leftovers go into holding and cannot be banked. If you want to continue your WL, you have to request that it be extended.
Okay, so what would happen with the following: I make a 11-month reservation which costs me 150 points, 30 of which I borrowed from next year. At 7 month mark I switch to a 120 point reservation. Is DVC nice and they automatically put back into your account 30 of this years points so you can still bank them? Effectively making the 120 point reservation be 30 borrowed points and 90 current use year points? Or would they give you back the borrowed points which makes them essentially useless if you can't go on another trip this year?

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeatssr View Post
Thanks. This is very helpful. Sorry, one last question, I hope! We had 2011 points that we banked. We're using those and 2012 points for our first trip. They will automatically use up the 2011 banked points, and then take from 2012, correct? So, if I did switch, they would be the 2012 points they gave back?
This should be what automatically happens...but sometimes it doesn't. Make sure you specify that you want 2012 points returned to you. As long as this is done by 11/30 you will then be able to bank those into 2013 if you want to.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
Okay, so what would happen with the following: I make a 11-month reservation which costs me 150 points, 30 of which I borrowed from next year. At 7 month mark I switch to a 120 point reservation. Is DVC nice and they automatically put back into your account 30 of this years points so you can still bank them? Effectively making the 120 point reservation be 30 borrowed points and 90 current use year points? Or would they give you back the borrowed points which makes them essentially useless if you can't go on another trip this year?
No, the borrowed points remain borrowed. What should happen after you change is you have a 120 pt reservation with 30 borrowed and 90 current UY points and 30 current and hopefully bankable points.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: