Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
disney david
DIS Veteran

Disney quick service to begin offering printed allergie info menus

Now instead of having to wait for the manager you be given a menu with option to common allergies if you have uncommon ones I am sure you will still have to talk to a manager and or chef.

Right now their at mk locations but will be at every location soon I think it a good idea hopefully it lessen the wait times and let guest know what they can get and if they don't see something they can try another location with having to wait for the manager to come and talk to them.

http://www.*********.com/quick-servi...-world-164554/

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

The Gluten Free and Dairy Free WDW blog started talking about this Friday.
From what I've been seeing, some of the information was up and went back down again.
Check out their blog for details and continued news:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
The Gluten Free and Dairy Free WDW blog started talking about this Friday.
From what I've been seeing, some of the information was up and went back down again.
Check out their blog for details and continued news:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/
Thanks sue for the link

Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
mistysue
DIS Veteran

They had these a few weeks ago at Columbia Harbor house. It is essentially the same as the lists special diets give out, so if their pdf can answer all your questions then you are all set.
If you have a combination of allergy categories (say peanut and dairy) it may not be helpful.

Unfortunately for my son, this printed menu marked the day that CHH refuses to feed him. We ate there twice one week, then on Saturday they had this menu and the manager said because of the printed warning he would not prepare food for anyone he knew may have a potential air contamination issue. (He said even if we dont care, he knew shellfish could be in the air so he cared) They printed on the bottom of the menu that if you have any fish or shellfish allergy they recomend you try another location. That's nice, but they were also the only location with allergy tenders. His tests show a mild shrimp allergy and we are not at all concerned with cross contamination as he has never had a reaction to it we just do not directly give him shrimp.

When we were at the register I asked to page somebody for allergies and the cashier's first response was to hand me the page and say this is now everything off menu they offer, so Im keeping my fingers crossed it was just bad timing.

This may help for single allergies, but I am a bit worried this may make things more difficult for complex issues.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
They had these a few weeks ago at Columbia Harbor house. It is essentially the same as the lists special diets give out, so if their pdf can answer all your questions then you are all set.
If you have a combination of allergy categories (say peanut and dairy) it may not be helpful.

Unfortunately for my son, this printed menu marked the day that CHH refuses to feed him. We ate there twice one week, then on Saturday they had this menu and the manager said because of the printed warning he would not prepare food for anyone he knew may have a potential air contamination issue. (He said even if we dont care, he knew shellfish could be in the air so he cared) They printed on the bottom of the menu that if you have any fish or shellfish allergy they recomend you try another location. That's nice, but they were also the only location with allergy tenders. His tests show a mild shrimp allergy and we are not at all concerned with cross contamination as he has never had a reaction to it we just do not directly give him shrimp.

When we were at the register I asked to page somebody for allergies and the cashier's first response was to hand me the page and say this is now everything off menu they offer, so Im keeping my fingers crossed it was just bad timing.

This may help for single allergies, but I am a bit worried this may make things more difficult for complex issues.
these menus are to stream line the operations and let guest know what they can get and what is safe and so Disney knows what they need to keep in stock. This is also to stop guest who think they can have the whole menu changed and expecting Disney to carry a huge amount of food at each location. If it not common allergies or if more then one that you can't use the menu then they still need to have a manager come out and talk to the guest might be a training mistake where they didn't go over the fact that they still need to call a manager over if their is a uncommon allergies or more then one or one that not on the menu. I when they put warning on the menu as you said it is to protect them from someone getting sick and suing them they have to enforce that fully even if your okay with it because if you or your son get sick they get in trouble. This also spells out what is safe and what are your options if that means they need to put safe tenders in other restaurants that don't serve seafood or not as a big risk then they need to do that. I always figured how it was going we see a set menu of maybe four options at every restaurant and that be your only option glad to see their going in the right direction. This will also help when and if they expand the allergies kiosk to all the parks because now they will have allergies menus to show guest so they can get better info

This post is not directed at anyone on the dis but their are lots of guest that think because it Disney they are entitled to have the whole menu changed and complain when they can't get certain food. if people want to admit it or not Disney is one of the best places to go to for allergies they handle it better then 99 percent of the restaurants, hotels and other theme parks do. That is Also disney down fall they are held at a higher standard and people expect certain things and sometimes when they change things for the better people don't see that they just see change and most people don't like change. Disney also very good at fixing things so if this dose not work or if their things that don't work Disney will fix the problems.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david

these menus are to stream line the operations and let guest know what they can get and what is safe and so Disney knows what they need to keep in stock. This is also to stop guest who think they can have the whole menu changed and expecting Disney to carry a huge amount of food at each location. If it not common allergies or if more then one that you can't use the menu then they still need to have a manager come out and talk to the guest might be a training mistake where they didn't go over the fact that they still need to call a manager over if their is a uncommon allergies or more then one or one that not on the menu. I when they put warning on the menu as you said it is to protect them from someone getting sick and suing them they have to enforce that fully even if your okay with it because if you or your son get sick they get in trouble. This also spells out what is safe and what are your options if that means they need to put safe tenders in other restaurants that don't serve seafood or not as a big risk then they need to do that. I always figured how it was going we see a set menu of maybe four options at every restaurant and that be your only option glad to see their going in the right direction. This will also help when and if they expand the allergies kiosk to all the parks because now they will have allergies menus to show guest so they can get better info

This post is not directed at anyone on the dis but their are lots of guest that think because it Disney they are entitled to have the whole menu changed and complain when they can't get certain food. if people want to admit it or not Disney is one of the best places to go to for allergies they handle it better then 99 percent of the restaurants, hotels and other theme parks do. That is Also disney down fall they are held at a higher standard and people expect certain things and sometimes when they change things for the better people don't see that they just see change and most people don't like change. Disney also very good at fixing things so if this dose not work or if their things that don't work Disney will fix the problems.
I get that it's to streamline things, our problem was that we have already had to run around and figure out that CHH has on multiple occasions (including this trip) been the only CS that would not direct us elsewhere, (managers and chefs directing us, not the cashier) and we had just been sent from Pinnochio to there... that particular evening we tried to stop for dinner at 4:00 and we didnt eat until close to 6:00. There were no lines it was just an issue of finding food. In addition to time, we ended up at table service so it was also significantly more costly.
So for situations with multiple allergens these lists either will mean you still run around to ask, or they may start to flat out say only items on the menu. Sure it is only one incident, but so far my experience says these new menus mean they turn you away.

I like vacations.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I get that it's to streamline things, our problem was that we have already had to run around and figure out that CHH has on multiple occasions (including this trip) been the only CS that would not direct us elsewhere, (managers and chefs directing us, not the cashier) and we had just been sent from Pinnochio to there... that particular evening we tried to stop for dinner at 4:00 and we didnt eat until close to 6:00. There were no lines it was just an issue of finding food. In addition to time, we ended up at table service so it was also significantly more costly.
So for situations with multiple allergens these lists either will mean you still run around to ask, or they may start to flat out say only items on the menu. Sure it is only one incident, but so far my experience says these new menus mean they turn you away.
Then they need to start making sure that all the menus are matching up. If chh can't make safe tenders then another location should take them and make them. I guess they will hopefully fix it and hopefully they see that if chh can't make allergy safe tenders because of the fryers then maybe cosmic rays needs to offer them or other locations offer them. I also wonder if they have these menus at guest services so you could look and see then if you can't find something hey can help you make a ADR.

What the answer Then?

i think they will go to what on the menu is all you can get but that Will make it harder as you seen. But as I said if they do that then they can't have the only restaurant offering safe tenders at a place that won't make them because Of seafood allergy concerns which is a common allergy.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Then they need to start making sure that all the menus are matching up. If chh can't make safe tenders then another location should take them and make them. I guess they will hopefully fix it and hopefully they see that if chh can't make allergy safe tenders because of the fryers then maybe cosmic rays needs to offer them or other locations offer them. I also wonder if they have these menus at guest services so you could look and see then if you can't find something hey can help you make a ADR.

What the answer Then?

i think they will go to what on the menu is all you can get but that Will make it harder as you seen. But as I said if they do that then they can't have the only restaurant offering safe tenders at a place that won't make them because Of seafood allergy concerns which is a common allergy.
Honestly, I've been puzzled at why more of their allergy foods dont overlap. If you compare the lists, try to get something egg, dairy and nut free. Since they are common allergens, they should probably offer items that are top 8 free.
I am just glad we go when it is slow. If we couldnt walk in to table service it could have easily become a 3 or 4 hour ordeal. It is just sad to get into a situation where no CS will help us based only on the top 8 allergens, our situation is nowhere near as bad as some on this board. I dont know why we seem to get kicked around because Ive seen others post that CS locations even go pick up items for them.

I like vacations.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Honestly, I've been puzzled at why more of their allergy foods dont overlap. If you compare the lists, try to get something egg, dairy and nut free. Since they are common allergens, they should probably offer items that are top 8 free.
I am just glad we go when it is slow. If we couldnt walk in to table service it could have easily become a 3 or 4 hour ordeal. It is just sad to get into a situation where no CS will help us based only on the top 8 allergens, our situation is nowhere near as bad as some on this board. I dont know why we seem to get kicked around because Ive seen others post that CS locations even go pick up items for them.
Yes you right they need fix this because either they want to hold back seats at sit downs and charge quick service prices. Their should be staples on all of them like safe tenders because I am sure a lot of kids would eat them. Well I hope they is it because when new year rolls around they my have a mess on their hands. What they really should do is at the allergies looks they should offer allergy safe food or have one location just for allergy safe food whole kitchen that only prepares safe food.

If the brown derby willing to stop one of their fryers and clean it to make safe chicken in the middle of service. Even though it take slinger then their no reason that quick service can't have one machine allergy safe to do safe tenders and other safe fried foods.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

It's nuts (if you pardon the pun) that they apparently only have one CS location that does allergy safe chicken tenders in the whole park. On my MK map it shows at least three places that do chicken nuggets, it wouldn't be unreasonable to offer them at two locations so guests at least have a choice, especially as CHH serves seafood/shellfish so has a big problem with cross-contamination there. I mean, allergies are a big problem nowdays.

Are the CS kitchens not big enough? Not enough CMs to have a dedicated fryer just for allergies?

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:

That is not good at all. Columbia Harbor House is one of the CS that we enjoy. CI do have a shellfish allergy and have never had a problem eating there. My allergies are dairy, shellfish, mango and aspartame.
Also running around trying to find an ADR is unacceptable as I am also diabetic so have to eat close to on schedule. I see this move as being less allergy friendly

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
disney david
DIS Veteran

i posted this to give everyone a chance to know this so they can plan out their days. if you need to eat due to medical needs now you know if you need to make a adr or have a idea what you can and can't help.

if you go to chh and the one time you get sick then you be up set and look at disney to pay. so i don't blame them for putting things on their menu and not take the risk any more. i do blame disney for putting the safe tenders in only one restaurant when it should be in at least one other place.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
disney david
DIS Veteran

What they should do is put these menus online and in their app so you can see then ahead of time so you can plan better.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What they should do is put these menus online and in their app so you can see then ahead of time so you can plan better.
I guess my whole point is that this is great and helpful if somebody has one allergy. Otherwise, this information is useless. I am not saying posting it is not helpful, I think its great you are sharing the info.
What matters in the end, unfortunately, is which manager you get at the moment you ask for one. It is a bit unreasonable to set a system where people with allergies have to eat table service. Not only is there a huge cost issue, it really does cross into discrimination because you are forced to eat in the locations that charge higher prices. These allergy items also have never been guaranteed so I dont know it would really help with planning in the app... if you can get the app to load anyways... have you tried to use the MDE app? On Disney's wifi that could take days to check a menu.

I like vacations.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I guess my whole point is that this is great and helpful if somebody has one allergy. Otherwise, this information is useless. I am not saying posting it is not helpful, I think its great you are sharing the info.
What matters in the end, unfortunately, is which manager you get at the moment you ask for one. It is a bit unreasonable to set a system where people with allergies have to eat table service. Not only is there a huge cost issue, it really does cross into discrimination because you are forced to eat in the locations that charge higher prices. These allergy items also have never been guaranteed so I dont know it would really help with planning in the app... if you can get the app to load anyways... have you tried to use the MDE app? On Disney's wifi that could take days to check a menu.
I get what your saying but you right it depends on the manager. But since they post this now ahead of time you know going in what to expect. If your going to go after Disney for discrimination which it not then you have to take on the whole restaurant industry. Disney a easy target because people know they care about their image and they most likely will settle. That why no one sues universal when they do the same thing as Disney because they know universal will not settle and will fight them no matter how bad they end up looking. It also unfair to expect Disney to have to go to the expense to carry lots of food to cover multiple allergies when most hotels and restaurants won't. Allergy safe food is most of the time more money then regular unless your allergies is suited with ten using what they have and not putting sauces or other stuff on it. Your also free to bring in your own food I don't know why chh they didn't have a manager come out when you explained that you had multiple allergies because these menus are for common ones. As I said I don't understand why they only have safe tenders in that restaurant but do understand why they wouldn't want to risk making someone sick. Their no legal requirement that Disney has to meet on what can be safe meaning their no law saying they have to carry safe tenders or other items. They can legally make a menu and say this is all you can have that all they need to do because their showing they making a effort to provide you with safe food.

Everything disney has done within the last year or two made people unhappy. They came out with touch screens at bog that have allergy info on their but once again people with multiple allergies not happy. They make these menus to help and again people with multiple allergies are not happy. They make changes and people are not happy they don't make changes people are not happy. Disney can't make everyone happy they have to find a balance that make the chefs happy and that make the guest happy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: