Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Taking the EXPLORE Test?

We got a letter from the school today that our 6th grader can take the EXPLORE Test. I see that it is part of the ACT test program. It costs $58 and she can take it on a Saturday about 45 minutes away from here.

Has your child taken the test? I assume it would be a good thing looking forward to college...though that is a long way away. I know my ACT and PSAT scores were helpful to me, but that was in high school.

Just looking for anyone's experiences or insights.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
teacherforhi
Pit Stop!
My cats allow me to sleep in the bed with them.

Every 8th grader in NC takes it. Quite frankly, it seems like a waste of time. I have to do read aloud for our students with disabilities and it seems unnecessarily complicated. It consists of four 30 minute sections-English, math, reading, and science. As I went through my script, I was having a hard time making heads or tails of the questions. My school takes it this Friday and maybe the students will prove me wrong, but I'm preparing for the worst.

"If there's one thing you should know about bunnies...it's that they play to win."
teacherforhi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor
I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my...displeasure."

Sounds like an exciting opportunity!! I just got info from school that my 8th grader can take the SAT's. Not sure when yet but very exciting stuff!!

If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask. ~ Rowena Ravenclaw

Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. ~ Albus Dumbledore
N&B'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Pixie Dust for Me!
Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on dust!

My son took it. It helped to affirm what we thought were his strengths and weaknesses. He was homeschooled, so it was helpful. I didn't think the projection of his ACT score was that helpful (he's projected to score a 32). Other friends of mine (with older children) have had their kids take it and found that the ACT projection was not very reliable.

My $.02 is that if you know your child well, and they are already experienced with standardized tests....eh, I likely wouldn't do it. Now, in 8th grade, I might think about it.

Karen

We now get to hear "Welcome Home" since we are DVC members!!

Also see my DS at TheDuckStopsHere
Pixie Dust for Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
BreeBree
Earning My Ears

My brother's daughter took it when she was in 6th grade as well. Honestly, she's a senior in high school now and I don't think it really affected anything. Her projected ACT was much lower than what she ended up getting and she had to retake it in 8th grade anyway. It's a nice opportunity, but it's not necessary in the 6th grade.

~Past Trips~
WDW Wilderness Lodge Engagement Trip 2006 , DCL/WDW Grand Floridian Disneymoon 2007, WDW Wilderness Lodge 2008, DL Grand Californian 2009, DLP Hotel New York 2010, WDW Grand Floridian 2011, DCL/WDW Polynesian 2012

Me(25)DH(38) DS(6)DS(5)DD(3)DD(2 months)

BreeBree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

I did print out short sample tests from the website. For starters sometime we'll see how she gets along with those.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

My daughter took it last winter as a 5th grader though the Duke TIP program, all 8th graders take it here. We looked at it as an opportunity for her to get used to taking those types of tests. It was run very much like the ACT as I remember it anyway. Check in at about 9? Ish, they could not take anything with them into the test room, there was a room for parents to wait ( I waited, we were about 30 min from home ) they had a break, snack restroom...I think they were finished by noon. She did well, math was the lower score because she hadn't seen many of the types of problems before. I think it is worth it just for the experience.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

We felt the EXPLORE test was really only helpful in knowing her strengths and weaknesses as seen by the test and knowing what she was interested in doing in her future so it showed her what she might need to improve on to reach that goal.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&B'smom View Post
Sounds like an exciting opportunity!! I just got info from school that my 8th grader can take the SAT's. Not sure when yet but very exciting stuff!!
Do you mean for Duke or JH or whomever?

Anyone can take the SATs; you just need to register and pay the fee so you can do it whenever it's convenient.

Last edited by cornflake; 10-04-2012 at 07:21 AM.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Why would you have a 6th grader take a standardized test that costs money?

This isn't state mandated, right? Why bother?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
We got a letter from the school today that our 6th grader can take the EXPLORE Test. I see that it is part of the ACT test program. It costs $58 and she can take it on a Saturday about 45 minutes away from here.

Has your child taken the test? I assume it would be a good thing looking forward to college...though that is a long way away. I know my ACT and PSAT scores were helpful to me, but that was in high school.

Just looking for anyone's experiences or insights.
Go for it. A long way...lol. My youngest is 16 and college is becoming a reality now!

It is a good way to measure your child "out of school" if you know what I mean.

Does your dd want to take it? My dd is a good test taker and wanted to take it to measure herself. Plus she was invited into the "DUKE TIP" program which is why she took the ACT in 7th and 8th.

If your dd takes it & has a high GPA, she might get "invited" to take the ACT next yr to get into whatever program you have.

Ot she might get accolades from the school? Not sure if your school does that however just throwing that out there as food for thought.

My dd took the ACT twice before she ever took the Explore test. She took it in 7th and 8th. She took the SAT in 8th. The PSAT practice in 9th and now is taking another PSAT practice next week for 10th.

She loves taking those tests so YMMV.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Do you mean for Duke or JH or whomever?

Anyone can take the SATs; you just need to register and pay the fee so you can do it whenever it's convenient.
You have to be 13.

You can take it earlier (meaning under 13) if you are "invited" by Duke Tip or John Hopkins.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Why would you have a 6th grader take a standardized test that costs money?

This isn't state mandated, right? Why bother?
Some kids are "nerds" and want to know how their school measures up with teaching them material against other students outside of their district/state/national. It really is an eye opener to "see" where your weaknesses are.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
You have to be 13.

You can take it earlier (meaning under 13) if you are "invited" by Duke Tip or John Hopkins.
There's no age requirement, anyone can take it if they so desire, don't have to be 13. What you may be thinking of is if you're <13, you just can't register online, you register by mail.

Your 8-year-old wants to take the SATs though, they don't care, just register by mail.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
There's no age requirement, anyone can take it if they so desire, don't have to be 13. What you may be thinking of is if you're <13, you just can't register online, you register by mail.

Your 8-year-old wants to take the SATs though, they don't care, just register by mail.
That is cool. I wish they would make that info more public for people.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: