Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #31
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

Most of our 7 night cruises end with a 200-300 dollar bill which usually includes: a few souveniers, just a few drinks, maybe a "drink seminar", Palo surcharge, etc. We don't usually spend much and try NOT to use the overpriced excursions when we can avoid it.
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #32
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

This post was starting to scare me but not anymore! We aren't big drinkers and right now are planning no excursions on our trip so I guess I may not be foolish to think that our bill should be no more then $300 (we love souvenirs!). That of course doesn't include tips or a deposit on another cruise if we love this one!

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #33
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

It adds up rather quickly,doesn't it?
We blew through a generous OBC and my Disney rewards, (that I thought I was going to use in WDW) on our four night Dream cruise, to the tune of $500 or so. Did not include tips!
Palo, DH got a massage, drinks at CC, drinks after dinner, drinks by the pool, gift shop, duty free shop, coffee at Cove Cafe, champagne tasting...it's incredible how fast it goes!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #34
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78
This post was starting to scare me but not anymore! We aren't big drinkers and right now are planning no excursions on our trip so I guess I may not be foolish to think that our bill should be no more then $300 (we love souvenirs!). That of course doesn't include tips or a deposit on another cruise if we love this one!
The deposit on a future cruise does not get added to your stateroom account. It's charged directly to your credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #35
mhconley
Califloridian

Very interesting thread; thanks for starting it spiiffy!

Seems we never get out of WDW with less than $200-300 per day charged onto our KTTW. Looks like we can expect about the same on our first cruise too. I am budgeting for tips and shore excursions. Other than those what else will be billed to the stateroom? On board shopping, drinks, sodas, prepackaged foods, bingo and the spa - what else?

Martin
Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary Resort: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean: June 6-13, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97

The deposit on a future cruise does not get added to your stateroom account. It's charged directly to your credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Mine was added to my account. At least it showed up on my invoice/list of charges.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #37
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
Very interesting thread; thanks for starting it spiiffy!

Seems we never get out of WDW with less than $200-300 per day charged onto our KTTW. Looks like we can expect about the same on our first cruise too. I am budgeting for tips and shore excursions. Other than those what else will be billed to the stateroom? On board shopping, drinks, sodas, prepackaged foods, bingo and the spa - what else?

Martin
Sodas are only if you get them from room service or a bar.
I forgot I had a few things pressed. So laundry/dry cleaning are a possible charge, too.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #38
lorimay
DIS Veteran

We had $100 OBC and $360 in disney rewards.

I didn't think we would use it all with just the 2 of us and only a 5 nighter, WRONG!!

It goes quick between tips, Palo visits, 2 drinks of the day(every day), excursions, a few pictures.

I think we went over by just about $100.

But We had a wonderful time and can't wait to do it again.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #39
redsonja76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Mine was a ridiculously high amount for 7 days. The SPA and the up sells cost me $1K! Never again. I'm headed on a 14 night and refuse to spend that much again. I have no Disney excursions booked, will have 2 Palo meals, visit the spa once or twice (only one thing booked so far) and not buy anything there, and don't plan to spend much else. Will shop a little, have a few drinks and buy a handful of pictures and that's it! Oh aside from tips. Will pay those, of course v
When you check in at the spa, specifically tell them that you do not want the upsell afterwards. They should honor that.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #40
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I don't drink, go to the spa, buy photos, or gamble (yes, BINGO on DCL is gambling!) - so my onboard bill consists of a trip to Palo, tips, and a few souvenirs. I consider excursions, whether booked through the ship or booked independently, to be a trip expense and not an "onboard bill" expense.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonja76

When you check in at the spa, specifically tell them that you do not want the upsell afterwards. They should honor that.
Will do this on this trip for sure!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #42
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Things charged to onboard accoount vs. onboard expenses

For new cruisers who are reading this with jaws dropped - you need to distinguish between things that can be charged to your onboard account (like excursions and apparently onboard booking deposits) vs. things that are truly onboard expenses. Although excursions on DCL get charged to your onboard account, the same excursion on other cruise lines would be charged to your credit card when booked. Those who book independent excursions still have the same expense, but it's not part of the onboard bill.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #43
zacaronius
Earning My Ears

Ours is about 500-800 with tips for myself and DW. Usually includes an excursion or two, some swag and a trip to the spa for her. We usually have a drink or two in the bars at night and that's about it. Not really too bad, but a surprise on our first cruise ever.. Forgot about tips and how quickly things add up.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #44
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
For new cruisers who are reading this with jaws dropped - you need to distinguish between things that can be charged to your onboard account (like excursions and apparently onboard booking deposits) vs. things that are truly onboard expenses. Although excursions on DCL get charged to your onboard account, the same excursion on other cruise lines would be charged to your credit card when booked. Those who book independent excursions still have the same expense, but it's not part of the onboard bill.
True, but if you look at it that way, there are NO on board expenses. You can get on the ship, have an incredible vacation and not spend an extra dime after tipping.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #45
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
True, but if you look at it that way, there are NO on board expenses. You can get on the ship, have an incredible vacation and not spend an extra dime after tipping.
My point was that there's a difference between what might be on the final bill and things bought and/or consumed while on the ship. Other than tipping, which I consider to be a required cruise expense, no one HAS to spend extra on any cruise ship.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: