Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
satsuke
Earning My Ears

Electrical Parade for one? - or How Many Times can he ride StarTours in a row?

I went down for 6 days in the parks March 18 - 23rd on a solo trip.

The highlights for me were catching the Main Street Electrical Parade after a rain delay in Frontierland .. so basically watching the whole thing by myself and interacting with everybody passing by (weird to have the various princesses make and keep eye contact while waving and saying hello).

This and discovering some of the smaller known activities around the world.

Here we go

day zero / Monday night

Drove in from KC via Nashville at around 22:00 .. rain almost the entire way, though it felt good to open up my Prius to a whopping 70MPH through Georgia .. though with 14 police cars around it kept that to a minimum

No line at check in at Pop Century .. rate of $120 a night with taxes on passholder rate. I'd been trying to get to AoA, but they were charging rack rates (~$200) when I made the reservation.

Got a room in the 1950s section .. this must be popular for cheap/nonpremium rooms as I've been in this section every time staying at pop.

Went to EMH at MGM for 2 hours .. this is my first time on property in awhile so it was nice to just walk in.

Park wasn't that crowded of course, I tried to go on Toy Story mania, but there was a 50 minute wait even with emh (assuming they didn't inflate the numbers to try and get the number to zero at closing).

Ended up going to the "mickey's dance party" in the playhouse disney stage .. normally I steer clear of this area (not a fan of the CGI cartoons on tv right now) .. but tonight it was just the characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy) dancing around interacting with anyone that comes by. There was a DJ playing kid high energy songs, (macarana, electric slide, chicken dance, cotton eyed joe). There was maybe 4 kids per character and all the parents standing around with cell phones 'rolling". I probably looked like an idiot, but had the most fun just interacting with Pluto as he was off on his own.

Ended by heading over to the TOT and Aerosmith rides .. 30 minutes for Aerosmith first, than riding ToT 3x ..for the last ride they skipped the video preshow and let me just run on through to the ride.

Ended up back at the hotel at 1am.

Tuesday

Got up and out at 10 or so .. headed over to Epcot after a simple pancake and sausage breakfast

Park wasn't very busy .. got a fastpass for souring for 550 - 650

Ended up going on test track, mission space, living seas before heading over to the flower and garden festival activities

I've never been down for the topiaries and such .. they are certainly neat, though nothing to write home about. The flower carpet around the lake in front of Imagination was amazing.

THe kids play area was also themed after OZ .. haven't seen it yet.

Ended up going around the world starting at Canada ,. saw the China film show and did some shopping, including my tradition of getting Hello Kitty stuff from Japan (hoodie)

After Soaring I took a bus over the Wilderness lodge to try and do the campfire .. I didn't know that the campfire program is more an afterthought (they had free marshmallows and sticks, but no provision for smores .. and the screen was small, I guess I,'m just used to Ft Wilderness.

Took a launch to MK via Contemporary.

I was very surprised at MK .. virtually no line at 9pm - 11pm on anything .. went on Space Rangers once, than headed to fantasyland to do most of the new rides.

Got pictures with Arial, Belle, mickey / pluto and a few others

went on Ariel twice (scuttle and a few other figures weren't working .. got a chance to mess with the games / virtual queuing .. first ride was to ride, second was to take photos .. flash was OK as there wasn't anyone else on the ride (more than walkon -- empty)

Finished the evening with Storytime with Belle .. I noticed they had a standby signage up ,. when this isn't a fastpass attraction -- yet.

There were around 14 people in my group .. we played the game of "find the 3 princess references" in the first room .. I came up with the huntsman's box with a blade through it, and the sewing box that was similar to the one in sleeping beauty.

Only silliness from the day was a large family getting angry when they got in the single rider line on test track, than got upset when their group was parceled out .. other was waiting an hour after park closing because of delays from the bus, and 5 persons on scooters that are apparently too large for their scooters to make it up the ramp (or the batteries were low)

Wednesday

Started out at studios at 10am .. got a fastpass for Toy story and did muppetvisoin, honey I shrunk and a few others .. got photos with the gang from incredibles and Wreck it Ralph.

At around 3 I got fastpasses to RnR and rode tower of terror again .. as well as going on star tours a half dozen times.

Most of the rides were more or less walk on

I did participate in the voting for america's funniest home videos .. thought it was funny that they were telling people to go to the premier theater .. funny because that building hasn't had a guest viable show in it in forever (it's those doors at the end of NY street). Got a free T shirt, and it was kinda neat seeing recorded footage by the host of the show just for the event.

Apparently this was for the season finale, you had to sign an NDA to participate. The actual polling took 5 minutes tops. Kind of painful as the "warm up" videos were all of people getting hurt.

went back to the hotel to sleep for an hour or so .. than went back to studios for fastpasses

Went from there to Epcot to get my pass moved over to the new RFID based one. The new passes are _much_ nicer than the paper ones. It's nice to be able to use the RFID scanners instead of the paper ones (shorter lines, and much more open .. no more turnstiles. I can't believe they didn't have annual passholders on the plastic / credit card readers years ago.

I did get to go into the odyssey restaurant for this.. that place hasn't changed much in 20 years.

Went on spaceship earth, mission space and the like .. looking forward to tomorrow and going into the old wonders of life

At 9pm I went over to MK, made a quick run through new areas of fantasyland before going on space mountain, big thunder and splash (in that order)

I went on Pirates as the park closed .. they literally closed the doors behind me (last one on for the day).

I lingered a bit to take some long exposure photos of Adventureland (because at this point the park was entirely deserted

I went over to Frontierland to do the same and noticed that Main street electrical parade music was still playing

Turns out the parade hadn't passed by there yet, and the park was entirely deserted aside from a few obvious cast members on their day off.

Got the whole show on video (again .. just this time with _every_ character interacting with me or at least making eye contact. Kinda neet to have the entire parade go by with literally no one else around

Thursday

started out at 930 to contemporary .. not really a good way to go from resort to resort

I had wanted to do EMH at MK this morning .. it didn't happen, went back to sleep

Went to the contemporary for their breakfast buffet at The Wave .. at $22 with tip it's the most expensive breakfast this trip, but it was good, and all the entire items except omelets were on the buffet. I was amused that they had a couple of breakfast cocktails on the menu (who the heck starts their day with a vodka sunrise?)

Went over to MK .. park was much busier than previous days, rode a few things in fantasyland and frontierland + jungle cruise

took the monorail to Poly to catch a bus to AK .. AK took 4 hours to do all the rides and most of the shows I wanted to see .. finally saw Finding Nemo (good for kids, not much else).

Bus to Epcot was long due to some serious (lifeflight) accident .. by the time I got over there it was too late for the flower and garden event spaces and most of the rides in future world, so I went over to Canada and caught Off Kilter for a bit

After epcot, went over to boardwalk to wander around .. Thursday nights aren't very busy over there .. so after poking at the shops I went to DTD and westside. There was a lot of corporate events (Barns and Noble) at the irish pub and house of blues.

One of these trips I'll just pay to go to Jellyrolls

Friday

Spent most of the day at Epcot going to the shows and pavilions I had missed previously (imagination, the land) and the stuff held in the former wonders of life area (flower and garden festival center).

The stuff in garden pavilion wasn't of much interest .. one big ad for HGTV.

Than I did another round of World showcase, seeing the films and such. I did pick up a rain jacket and umbrella from Norway / Helly Hanson .. the quality seems about on par with North Face and is different enough for me.

Went over to studios for their closing .. rode Star Tours a half dozen more times (last one was last of the night .. had the theater to my self) .. heh, I never get picked for the "rebel spy" gig .. they used a picture of a generic Rhodian instead.

After the rides I did linger a bit in the park, took some long exposure photos of the place without any people in it.

Than I went back over to Epcot for EMH .. just wandering around before heading back to the resort

Saturday

This was supposed to be a short park day and travel day .. didn't end up being so

Started out at the motel 6, with a lady trying to pawn off a voucher that read "VOID" in giant letters

Went to the "Magic behind our steam trains" tour in MK .. interesting, though the monorail over there was delayed 15 minutes, so I missed the beginning of the tour (main street operations took me backstage and a quick van ride to the roundhouse had me there before the tour group arrived.

It was kinda neet seeing my old job .. I also saw the new Iron Man 3 monorail coming out on it's first day of service. (Iron Man colours on one end -- War Machine on the other)

Rest of the morning was simply poking around fantasyland for the rides I hadn't gone on yet (small world, Peter Pan, Pooh

Tried leaving at 3pm, but was too tired so I parked it at Fort Wilderness and took in their campfire and movie program . .ended up watching Wreck it Ralph surrounded by kids and wandering around the grounds .. it was 75F and clear .. made for a very nice, relaxing evening

Got on the road for an hour or two to Wildwood Florida before pulling off at around 1AM .. drove to Biloxi ms, than on to KC via Tulsa for family

Last edited by satsuke; 04-06-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: