Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Renewing Passport timing??

My husband's passport expires in Feb 2013. Our cruise is March 2013. Obviously I should renew before the cruise, I'm just not sure how far in advance I should renew. If I renew now, wouldn't that essentially give away 4 months of passport time?

I was thinking of waiting until December to do it for financial reasons, but my online check in is Dec 9th. Will I need a valid expiration date to complete my online check in? I guess I can switch it to Birth Certificate and then change it back to passport when he gets a new passport with new number and expiration date.

What would you do?

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

No you will not need your passport number in order to check in. You can add it later.

I would renew his passport in December and then add his passport number to your reservation when he gets it back.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Online check-in does not require a Passport number or date, those can be skipped and/or added at another time.

I guess I'd say renew now to avoid any problems that could arrive if you wait and it gets delayed for some reason. I actually haven't had to renew a Passport yet, so I'm not sure if the new expiration date is 10 years from the original expiration, or 10 years from the date you did renewal. Maybe someone else can answer. As to "losing" 4 months on the renewal - it's good for 10 years so unless you know specifically that 10-years and 3-months from today you will need a passport, I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Online check-in does not require a Passport number or date, those can be skipped and/or added at another time.

I guess I'd say renew now to avoid any problems that could arrive if you wait and it gets delayed for some reason. I actually haven't had to renew a Passport yet, so I'm not sure if the new expiration date is 10 years from the original expiration, or 10 years from the date you did renewal. Maybe someone else can answer. As to "losing" 4 months on the renewal - it's good for 10 years so unless you know specifically that 10-years and 3-months from today you will need a passport, I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy your cruise!
It's ten years from date of renewal. My first passport expired some 15 years before I needed another one. Yes, too long between trips. The date on the new one had nothing to do with the expiration of the old one.

Your passport has to have at least six months left on it when you travel, just in case. So if you were planning to travel close to the expiration date, you'd really need to renew it 9 years 6 mos from the date it was issued.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Happy100
DIS Veteran

It took my husband about 3 weeks to get his renewed passport. You can do it the first weeks of January and be fine.

Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

I would renew in early December before the surge in holiday mail.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Your passport has to have at least six months left on it when you travel, just in case. So if you were planning to travel close to the expiration date, you'd really need to renew it 9 years 6 mos from the date it was issued.
The "6-months before expiration" is for certain European travel and does not pertain to closed-loop cruises.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

We just renewed a few wks ago and it took less than 3 wks. New Passport date starts at new renewal date.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
socababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I just went in today to renew dd's passport. It expires in March 2013 but since we are sailing on the Panama Canal cruise, I needed to renew it since it wouldn't be valid for 6 months after our return date.

I was told I would receive her new passport within 4-6 weeks but I expect it will be sooner than that.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
reigle4
with magicdust is the only way to travel

It took me 8 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
My husband's passport expires in Feb 2013. Our cruise is March 2013. Obviously I should renew before the cruise, I'm just not sure how far in advance I should renew. If I renew now, wouldn't that essentially give away 4 months of passport time?

I was thinking of waiting until December to do it for financial reasons, but my online check in is Dec 9th. Will I need a valid expiration date to complete my online check in? I guess I can switch it to Birth Certificate and then change it back to passport when he gets a new passport with new number and expiration date.

What would you do?
I even sent in the old passport but they have made changes and it took 8 weeks for me.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
stitchandco
Earning My Ears

It took two maybe three weeks when I renewed mine in July. Of course they got my middle name wrong so I had to take it into the Houston office. I took it in Friday and got it back Monday.
stitchandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

I just renewed my daughter's passport on 9/30 they said around 4-6 weeks. Alot of post offfices do not do the passport and some that do you have to make an appointment. I went to a post office that was converted to s passport processing center and its even open on Sunday with no appointment needed. My daughter's passport expires in January and we have a cruise on 3/26 so hopefully I get it back before the online check-in December.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's ten years from date of renewal.

It depends on the type of travel. If you are using it to re-enter the US after a trip aboard, it is valid until the expiration date. You can use it for the cruise provided your return date is before the expiration date (even if one day before). Of course, if you found yourself in a hospital and didn't return as scheduled,, you'd have some hoops to jump thru.

Some countries (particularly in Europe) require that you have 6 months remaining on your passport to enter their country. Thus, if you are on a plane or cruise to any country with that requirement, the carrier will require that you have at least that much time remaining.

Any cruise that you could do on a birth certificate will not have the 6 month requirement.

You do not need the passport number to do on line check in (you can edit and fill it in later)

Renewals typically take less than a month, but I'd allow at least 6 weeks to be safe.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I just renewed mine as well. I sent everything on Aug. 30 and got it back Sept. 20.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: