Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Malin
Mouseketeer

Can we fit in all of DAK and a meal at Yak £ Yeti in one day?

I'm planning out my itinerary for my July Florida Trip next year. Do you think we will have time to visit Disney's Animal Kingdom in a full day plus fit in a meal at the Yak & Yeti Restaurant. Looking at the Park Hours from this July it seems like the opening hours will 9.00 am to 8.00 pm. Is the service at Yak & Yeti quick and more importantly how is the food and is it worth making an ADR?
Malin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
TeresaZ
Mouseketeer

Yes!! We did!

Former cast member: Summers of 1995 and 1996.; Daughter's first trip: Old Key West - Dec. 4-11, 2010; Princess 1/2 marathon weekend: Off site - Feb. 25 to March 4 2011; Expedition Everest Challenge with my best friend: Animal Kingdom Lodge May 5 to May 8, 2011; 2012 Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend:Caribbean Beach - Feb. 24 to Feb. 28, 2012; Family Vacation! Animal Kingdom /Jambo House - Oct. 8-15, 2012; Caribbean Beach, 2013 Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend: Feb. 21-Feb. 26; Twilight Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend: Oct. 4-Oct. 8.
TeresaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
beroh2253
Love Dixie Landings(POR)

Be there at park opening and get up to the Safari as fast as you can, either get on then of grab a fast pass for later.
Keep an eye on the different show times so you don't miss them, I think you can do it but July you may need an afternoon break at the resort pool.
We also did like the Yak and Yeti and try Flamtree BBQ for Lunch, my favorite CS.

1978 July DTD Travelodge Our honeymoon,1995 Sept. Port Orleans, 1996 Sept. Dixie Landings (POR), 1997 Nov. Caribbean Beach, 1998 Nov. Dixie Landings (POR), 2000 June POR, 2001 June POR, 2002 June Animal Kingdom Lodge 2003 May POR 2006 Sept All Star Music (free DDP), 2007 Sept. POP (free DDP), 2008 June POP (DS grad from PENN), 2008 Sept. POP (free DDP), 2009 Oct. POP (free DDP pin), 2010 Oct. POR Riverside (Dixie), 2011 June POP & Aug POP, 2012 Oct. still to come POP
beroh2253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

If you stay all day in July, you would appreciate a pool break or a 3/4 day with Yak and Yeti as an a/c break. We enjoy Yak and Yeti and have had prompt service & good food there.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
SCDisneyMom
How would a chihuahua jump over a fence?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malin View Post
I'm planning out my itinerary for my July Florida Trip next year. Do you think we will have time to visit Disney's Animal Kingdom in a full day plus fit in a meal at the Yak & Yeti Restaurant. Looking at the Park Hours from this July it seems like the opening hours will 9.00 am to 8.00 pm. Is the service at Yak & Yeti quick and more importantly how is the food and is it worth making an ADR?
We did it last October when the park hours were shorter. I think AK is the hottest park, and the heat can be pretty brutal in July. A TS meal is a nice break from the heat & humidity.

We've only eaten at Yak & Yeti that one time but we really enjoyed it. The service was prompt and our food was tasty. DH can be a food snob & DS can be picky, but they both liked it. I think DH had the duck and DS had the baby back ribs. I had the seafood curry, which was very very good. We would go back for another meal there.

Me: Leslie (34) , DH: Ray (36) , DS: Tyler (16)

*Our Disney princess has arrived*
Isla Caroline
October 22, 2013
SCDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Malin
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure we're going to bother with the pool break in the Afternoon. We are staying at the Buena Vista Palace just outside Downtown Disney. So the bus journey will take us a bit longer. My understanding is that its two pick up's an hour. And these buses visit the other Disney parks and Downtown Disney hotels. Plus I always find these things cut into your time. That's why I'm more open to taking time out to have a meal at Yak & Yeti but staying at the park for the day. We plan to do the Water Parks later in the Trip. But we are not really laze around the pool kind of people. Animal Kingdom is day 1 of a much larger 14 night break. So we might further consider the pool breaks later in the trip.

So it sounds like Yak & Yeti is a popular choice among people here. Do you think it would be a smarter choice to book Yak & Yeti further towards Park closing. That way we'll have the full day to enjoy here without the concern that ADR for Yak & Yeti is going to cut into one of our Fast Pass times. And also a later time will allow us to try beroh2253 suggestion for Flamtree BBQ at lunch
Malin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

Most definitely you can. We always have done AK and Rainforest Cafe all in one day so I don't think this would be any different. Definitely agree w/ PP about Safari ride .

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Texashokies
Disney Dreaming

Yes. We are usually done with AK by 2:00, so you should have plenty of time to do everything there plus a table service meal.
Texashokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
chicharitta
Earning My Ears

I agree with the others who have said its do-able. I also agree with the head straight to the safari suggestion. Another option is to make an early breakfast reservation at Tusker House (8:00am) with an ADR you will be allowed in the park before it opens and can have an excellent meal and once you've finished the safari is right there! What ever you do AK day is not the day to sleep in. Get there for park opening!
chicharitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
TinkerbellinLouisian
I think I'm going on my 21st visit in 47 years...

Yak & Yeti

I too agree that it is doable....

I've been to Yak & Yeti twice and LOVED it both times...

Here is the review from May 31, 2012:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...o_Florida.html

with pictures....

We ran late to AK because due to weather our Epcot Segway Tour was postponed to this date.... plus I had a HDDR Dining ressie....so we were hemmed in.....

However we'd have had plenty of time to cover the park had the above not been the case....

and a little advice for Y&Y.... (and this occurred several times during our visit)...

If you find it would help to move your ADR up or back... we found Y&Y to be very accommodating. I would suggest if you find it would be helpful to slightly alter the time just head there in person and ask.

We did.... went to get EE FP's and headed to Y&Y and were seated earlier than our ADR, didn't miss a beat and then headed to EE.

(YES we were FULL but NO Mishaps ! LOL)

Have a magical visit !

Mary
1970 - (I was 5...it was just a movie being shown back then...still being built)...1974 - WDW - ?...1976 - DL - On the way to moving from CA to FL...1977 - WDW Lake Buena Vista...1981 - WDW High School Dance Competition...1982 - H.S. Dance Competition.....1983 - H.S. Dance Competition...1985 - Offsite...1991 - Offsite (HJ)..1993 - AS Movies...1994 - Offsite ...1995 - AS Music .....1997 - Offsite...1998 - Offsite...2000 - Offsite...2002 - Polynesian (Got Married!)...2004 - Beach Club...2006 - Beach Club...2008 - Beach Club...2010 May 9-14 BCV Graduation Celebration with DS18...2012 Surprising Family on details May Visit to WDW

TinkerbellinLouisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Magic2000
DIS Veteran

We LOVE Yak & Yeti, and it is our "must do" restaurant at Animal Kingdom! Our summer vacation is usually in late June/early July and we've always had more than enough time to see it all in one day!

We like to do Yak & Yeti for lunch because we find that Animal Kingdom is the hottest park. There aren't too many places you can go to get out of the heat. A nice, sit down meal for lunch helps us to cool off, relax a bit, and then we're ready to hit the park again! Depending on what you order, it doesn't take that much time for lunch. Of course, if you're getting an appetizer, entree, and dessert, it will take longer.

Either way, have a great trip!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
beroh2253
Love Dixie Landings(POR)

I forgot to mention ths is my favorite desert in all of the MK, at least one of you have to try this at th Yak & Yetti

Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle

1978 July DTD Travelodge Our honeymoon,1995 Sept. Port Orleans, 1996 Sept. Dixie Landings (POR), 1997 Nov. Caribbean Beach, 1998 Nov. Dixie Landings (POR), 2000 June POR, 2001 June POR, 2002 June Animal Kingdom Lodge 2003 May POR 2006 Sept All Star Music (free DDP), 2007 Sept. POP (free DDP), 2008 June POP (DS grad from PENN), 2008 Sept. POP (free DDP), 2009 Oct. POP (free DDP pin), 2010 Oct. POR Riverside (Dixie), 2011 June POP & Aug POP, 2012 Oct. still to come POP
beroh2253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malin View Post
I'd allot between 60 and 90 minutes for the TS meal (depends on the courses ordered).

In terms of things to do, there are animal trails, shows (e.g., Lion King, Nemo, Flights), rides (e.g., safari, EE, Dinosaur, etc.), character meet and greets, and Conservation Station. In terms of being able to visit AK in one depends on how many things you want to do and how long it takes you to look at the animals. If you're a "one glance and your done" type of person then seeing the animal trails will be fast, but if you like to watch, then it'll take a lot longer. In terms of the shows, you'll need to plan them so you can get from show to show and not waste much time. Character meet and greets can also be a pretty good time sink, so you'll have to decided if they matter to you.

Overall, I guess I'm in the minority. You can see a lot of AK in one day (even with a TS), but you won't be able to do everything.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: