Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
mgrace79
Mouseketeer

Advice-how to get Hubby more excited

So has anyone encountered this issue with their hubby. I got the ok to plan our first family Vaca to Disneyland for DD bday(will be 5 at time of trip). Hubby was okay with it but the more I "plan" and try to discuss with him he gets annoyed and states he's not looking forward to it. i know he's not a crowd person, hence why we are going the first week of Feb and during the week. I realize it means reduced hours and attractions but thats ok if we get less crowds and an overall more pleasant experience for him. I just wish he could be a little excited and see the joy it is going to bring for DD. I wish i could just go w/out him but i don't want him to miss out on that magic of her first experience. Plus i have already made/pd for reservations its a done deal- especially when it come to the tickets non refundable discounted tix using his corporate discount- he has to be present to redeem i was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with similar issues and what you did? THANK IN ADVANCE!
mgrace79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
KalamityJane
DIS Veteran

Wow, you sound like you are married to my dh! We went in nov and it went amazingly, and dh, dare I say it...had FUN! He prob won't be excited until you get there, but I bet he will enjoy it.
KalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

My DH is for sure not a Disneyphile like I am, and he doesn't like crowded places at all, but I can manage to get him to go to the parks at least once a year with me... for a day or two tops lol. I'll take what I can!

I focus on the stuff that really appeals to him... like FOOD lol! He would make the trip for Plaza Inn's fried chicken alone I think, as would I. I also focus a lot more on the thrill rides when I go with him, but since you'll have your little DD you can't really ride those all together... he can still do it alone or with rider swap though.

I don't know your DH, but I'll say based on my own personal observations at amusement parks over the years, that some people just aren't "into it", and I wouldn't force him necessarily to do full days in the parks if he's just not comfortable with it. I feel like I've seen so many grumpy families that I'd rather go alone sometimes than with a grump! I'd compromise with him and make sure he is at least around for your DD's first visit to Fantasyland, first Mickey sighting, and first character breakfast etc. - you know, those big milestones - but then if he wants to break off and do his own thing or head to the hotel room to rest, I'd let him.

You never know, he might surprise you and really get into the Disney spirit once he is there! If not, just take what you can Not everybody "gets it", but not everybody has to
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

Gee....we are married to the same man.but seriously....I went through this before our first trip.The more excited I got..the more grumpy he got.In fact the first thing I bought at DL was a grumpy shirt
The last couple of months before our trip I gave up trying to talk to him about our trip and spent A LOT of time here talking with people who love DL.I told him he didn't have to go but that we would be on the plane and I left it at that.
When we got to DL,I started pointing out things like the hidden Mickey's and the horticulture.We talked about behind the scenes and how DL works and just about the stuff I learned on here and through reading books.
Of course once we were there he had a blast.If you have never been to DL or WDW you can't imagine what Indiana Jones or Haunted Mansion is like.I think he thought it was going to be like our local fair.
Some nights when we would get back to our room he would comment about how there wasn't even a blade of grass in the planters or in the grates around the trees.No leaves or anything that wasn't supposed to be there.He found that hard to wrap his brain around.
Of course,he would never admit that he had a great time.....it was ok
but when we got home,a commercial came on for Disney.The one where the pirates come out of the basement....and when it got to the end it was for WDW....to which he commented"oh darn...it's for Disneyworld"
Gotcha!I laughed my head off.
This time we go for 12 days.He is all for it and will even go back in sept for my 50th.
So my advice.Come here and chat about DL and how excited you are.WE know where you are coming from and there are a lot of people here who are walking in your shoes.Arm yourself with info and just drop info here and there on your holiday.
Maybe our paths will cross and they can pretend they don't like it together
It will all be great in the end.The first week of feb is an awesome time to go.You will love it.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
mgrace79
Mouseketeer

He hasn't been since he was in grade school so id say 25+ yrs and last time I went I was in HS so a good 14-15ys for me. This will be DD first trip-she is currently 42 1/2 in tall so can ride the vast majority rides and she's fearless. Loves roller coasters and whatnot at state/county fair. So I'm not concerned about that. Just trying to figure a way out to get him excited! I can always leave him at espn zone at dtd I suppose!
mgrace79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
KalamityJane
DIS Veteran

Does your hubs like thrill rides? DH thought Screamin was great and has a soft spot for Nightmare Before Christmas, so he really enjoyed HMH. Plus seeing the kids so excited just melted him, I think. The kids were super into the characters and rides, and how can you not smile, kwim? Honestly, dh is normally a grumpy butt, so this was rare, but Disney really worked its magic
KalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrace79 View Post
So has anyone encountered this issue with their hubby. I got the ok to plan our first family Vaca to Disneyland for DD bday(will be 5 at time of trip). Hubby was okay with it but the more I "plan" and try to discuss with him he gets annoyed and states he's not looking forward to it. i know he's not a crowd person, hence why we are going the first week of Feb and during the week. I realize it means reduced hours and attractions but thats ok if we get less crowds and an overall more pleasant experience for him. I just wish he could be a little excited and see the joy it is going to bring for DD. I wish i could just go w/out him but i don't want him to miss out on that magic of her first experience. Plus i have already made/pd for reservations its a done deal- especially when it come to the tickets non refundable discounted tix using his corporate discount- he has to be present to redeem i was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with similar issues and what you did? THANK IN ADVANCE!
The first time we went, my husband was the same way. Now he's like a big kid there, too. Give him a chance to warm up and he may. If not--send him golfing next time. ;-)

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

You're not alone! My dh isn't very into it either. I have to ask for 2 days to be my Christmas present for him to agree to a 4-day hopper! He thinks I'm nutso for posting here. But he does like the suggestions I've picked up and shared. He'll probably be more excited once we're there, but he is not anywhere near excited for it. Sigh.

Like the previous post, he enjoys watching the kids, riding Screaming, and Nightmare HM, and eating . We're going to try New Orleans Square this time. He requested a sit down meal to have a break.

It's magical for me every time!! Dd's are into it,so the 3 of us plan and talk about it. I think the less I talk to him about it the better it'll be. Once we're there he'll enjoy it, I'm sure!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

It's always different when they see how excited their little one is too!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Echoing the PP, wait and see how DH reacts once you're in the park. Mine grudgingly went along, thought I was "psycho" for spending so much time here planning, but then saw how much our girls loved their experiences and admits it was a great trip.

He even wrote a TR (of sorts) for one of his college football sites, Disney on Wheeeeeeeels. Note, he's not very politically correct so don't read it if you might get offended when he refers to the obese guests who use ECVs as having "fat passes."
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
siburdue
Mouseketeer

Disney Excitement for DH

Welcome to the club. My husband doesn't want to know about all of my research and planning, he only wants to know the final decisions But seriously, I have discovered that he does want to be included, so I always try to find something that is special for us to do together that he will like. For instance, he loves pirates of the caribbean - guess who's family is going as pirate's to the halloween party? aargh Wouldnt be my first choice, but I know he will enjoy it and the pirate's league. A few years back, on one trip I booked a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour, as he loves history, so he really enjoyed learning about disneyland's history.

So, keep on planning, and don't share the processes with him. BUT make sure that you include something special 'just for him' during the trip (even though it is really about DD). He will love you for it.

Heading to the Disneyland Resort with my BFF to attend Mickey's Halloween Party on September 27 & October 1!
siburdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Geemo
DIS Veteran

Save your energy.... My DH is the same way.

Make your plans and see how it goes when you get there.
For some people the pre planning detracts from the trip its' self.

Maybe by not discussing plans or talking Disney with him before will make the difference once you are there.

Good luck

Geemo
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
wannagoback
Broke them in before the trip
We were with Goofy and Donald on the Teacups ride

My DH is the same way. He doesn't engage in conversations about it at all. We took our kids three years ago and he confessed that it was one of the best times of his life, but you would never know by looking at him! He's very laid back about everything, it's just the way he is! I hope you can enjoy the planning process and I hope he has a good time once you arrive! While I thrive on the planning and dreaming process, I have to realize that it's not enjoyable for everyone. Talking about it with my DH probably just brings up thoughts of airplanes and crowds, which he hates both!
wannagoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
Mouser172
Go beavs!

My hubs is the same way. When me and the hubs go to disneyland dh is not very excited but once we are there and doing things the hubs enjoys himself. And seeing the disney daughters and dear son and dear grandkids having fun really makes the hubs happy.

pix iedust:
:c onfused3:badp c:

=The Hubs
=disney daughter
= dear son

Last edited by Mouser172; 10-03-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Mouser172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Stop harping on it.

This works for other aspects of relationships as well. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just drop it, already.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: