Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Parking at Boardwalk

Is free parking at the Disney Boardwalk limited to 3 hours like it is at the other resorts?

DH and I are arriving on 12/1 and staying at AoA. We will mainly be using our rental car as I don't do so well on buses. After checking in, we plan to spend the afternoon at Epcot followed by a 7:55 ADR at Kouzzina. Will we be charged for parking if we leave the car at the Boardwalk all afternoon and just walk to and from Epcot? Would it be better to just park at Epcot for the afternoon and then drive over to the Boardwalk before dinner?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMe View Post
Is free parking at the Disney Boardwalk limited to 3 hours like it is at the other resorts?

DH and I are arriving on 12/1 and staying at AoA. We will mainly be using our rental car as I don't do so well on buses. After checking in, we plan to spend the afternoon at Epcot followed by a 7:55 ADR at Kouzzina. Will we be charged for parking if we leave the car at the Boardwalk all afternoon and just walk to and from Epcot? Would it be better to just park at Epcot for the afternoon and then drive over to the Boardwalk before dinner?

Thanks in advance!
Self parking at BWI generally is more restrictive than other resorts and is limited to BWI guests. Valet parking is available and you also can frequently park by the Hess station across the street.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
wdw lifer
Earning My Ears

I would park at the YC instead. As long as there isn't a convention you could park there all day without an issue.
First trip off site 1989 AS S March 1995 OKW October 1997 WL November 1997 BV December 1999 WL November 2001 POR November 2006 CBR November 2007 CSR November 2008 YC November 2009 YC November 2010 BW November 2011 (no yacht available)
Beach Club CLDecember 2012

wdw lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMe View Post

Thanks in advance!
If you want to park there beyond the 3 hours, you would have to pay for valet parking. For me, the convenience of doing that is worth the cost.
AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Generally speaking, parking at resorts is for those using that resort, not for park access. There are times during the year that there is no way you can park at a resort if you aren't paying to stay there...FandW weekends at the Epcot resorts for instance. The parking entrances are actually blocked off and you can only get in with a room key!!!
At other times of year, it is easier. But, I seldom recommend parking at any resort in order to get to a park. I would really recommend one of two things...
1. park at Epcot and then move the car to BW
or
2. park at BW but use the lot behind the Hess Station, or pay to valet park.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Generally speaking, parking at resorts is for those using that resort, not for park access. There are times during the year that there is no way you can park at a resort if you aren't paying to stay there...FandW weekends at the Epcot resorts for instance. The parking entrances are actually blocked off and you can only get in with a room key!!!
At other times of year, it is easier. But, I seldom recommend parking at any resort in order to get to a park. I would really recommend one of two things...
1. park at Epcot and then move the car to BW
or
2. park at BW but use the lot behind the Hess Station, or pay to valet park.
We are going to be down there Oct 27th-Nov 4th and have dining reservations at Cape May. Where are we supposed to park? We would not be using it for park admission, but need to park somewhere long enough to eat. Do they still allow people with ADRs to park long enough to eat or are we going to have to park all the way over at the Hess station?
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are going to be down there Oct 27th-Nov 4th and have dining reservations at Cape May. Where are we supposed to park? We would not be using it for park admission, but need to park somewhere long enough to eat. Do they still allow people with ADRs to park long enough to eat or are we going to have to park all the way over at the Hess station?
You will be permitted to park at BC while dining at Cape May. There's no problem doing that.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for the advice! We will just plan to park at Epcot for a few hours and then move the car before dinner. DH worked as a valet in college and won't go near a valet stand now!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
As the PPs have said, you are allowed to park any resort for up to three hours while enjoying the amenities of that resort. So you can park at the YC or BC (I forget which one has Cape May) for three hours while you eat. Just tell the guard at the gate you're eating at Cape May and they'll let you in (they may ask to see ID or take down your license plate).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw lifer View Post
I would park at the YC instead. As long as there isn't a convention you could park there all day without an issue.
The same rules apply at the YC - 3 hours while you're dining, shopping and enjoying activities at the resort. I don't understand why you think it would be okay to park here all day.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

I visit resorts I'm not staying at all the time. It's been YEARS since I was told there is a 3 hour time limit when parking at any resort. I've parked at Contemporary, Polynesian, BoardWalk, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, and all the Mods. to name a few.

The guard asks if he can help me, I tell him why I'm there and he waves me through after I show him my ID. Maybe that's not the case all year. I'm usually there August, September, January or May. Perhaps during peak seasons they're more strict about parking.

Disney wants people to visit BoarkWalk and spend their money. I don't think they expect you to park at the Hess station and walk from there. I never do.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Parking at the resorts to dine or shop, is allowed. What is not allowed is parking at the resorts to access Epcot or Hollywood studios.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
I visit resorts I'm not staying at all the time. It's been YEARS since I was told there is a 3 hour time limit when parking at any resort. I've parked at Contemporary, Polynesian, BoardWalk, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, and all the Mods. to name a few.

The guard asks if he can help me, I tell him why I'm there and he waves me through after I show him my ID. Maybe that's not the case all year. I'm usually there August, September, January or May. Perhaps during peak seasons they're more strict about parking.

Disney wants people to visit BoarkWalk and spend their money. I don't think they expect you to park at the Hess station and walk from there. I never do.
You were lucky as we are DVC members and have been turned away or had to park in the lot behind the Hess station.

It really depends on the occupancy levels of the hotel, whether there is a convention going on and certain times of the year.

I think we would all agree guest staying at the resorts should have precedence for parking over those visiting.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
You were lucky as we are DVC members and have been turned away or had to park in the lot behind the Hess station.
You might be a DVC member, but I assume that you weren't staying at the Boardwalk Villas. Because if you were there is no way you would be turned away or forced to park behind the Hess station.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
wdw lifer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment

The same rules apply at the YC - 3 hours while you're dining, shopping and enjoying activities at the resort. I don't understand why you think it would be okay to park here all day.
Well... For one I've done it. Before we started staying there we made a reservation for breakfast at cape may. Then ventured over to Epcot for the rest of the morning. Had lunch at LeCelier spent a few more hours in the WS and returned to the car around 5pm.

We did have a resort parking pass and and the lot by the convention center was almost empty. Not sure how often they check but I've never had a problem. We usually go during the slowest times of the year as well. Being able to do this is the reason we now stay at BC/YC. If we hadn't we might not have seen the benefits.
First trip off site 1989 AS S March 1995 OKW October 1997 WL November 1997 BV December 1999 WL November 2001 POR November 2006 CBR November 2007 CSR November 2008 YC November 2009 YC November 2010 BW November 2011 (no yacht available)
Beach Club CLDecember 2012

wdw lifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: