Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Kbendig
Mouseketeer

MNSSHP Question

We are going to be there on Tuesday. My husband was talking to a coworker about our trip and she asked if we would be going to the Halloween party, he said yes.

Then she said she thought it was a bad idea. According to her, once the party starts the fill the streets with smoke and people in masks jump out at you all over the place. She said it was so bad they had to carry their 8 year old son out screaming.

This sounds very un-Disney, and I don't believe a word she said. She said it was 9-10 years ago. Did that ever happen?

DH
ME
DS5

Dude, Where's my Underwear TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3014168

You only have 2 years to make ADR's, an October 2014 PTR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024844
Kbendig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

I was just there last night and nothing like that happened. It was truly a not so scary party and very kid friendly. The only time we had to get out of the street was when the headless horseman came riding through before the parade.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
goofy_joe
Mouseketeer

I think OP's acquaintance might be referring to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights instead. Disney doesn't do "scare zones" - they do have trick-or-treating though!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbendig View Post
We are going to be there on Tuesday. My husband was talking to a coworker about our trip and she asked if we would be going to the Halloween party, he said yes.

Then she said she thought it was a bad idea. According to her, once the party starts the fill the streets with smoke and people in masks jump out at you all over the place. She said it was so bad they had to carry their 8 year old son out screaming.

This sounds very un-Disney, and I don't believe a word she said. She said it was 9-10 years ago. Did that ever happen?
Very very wrong... I have been to the "NOT" SO SCARY PARTY a few times and nobody jumps out of anywhere. It's all good fun.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

Definitely not Disney. She must have been at Universal... or dreaming.

Enjoy the party. We've taken DGS3 a couple times and he loves it! Nothing scary there.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

Like so many people, she can't distinguish between Universal and Disney. What she described is not Disney and has never been. You have nothing to worry about.
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Kbendig
Mouseketeer

You're right, she probably did mean Universal. I laughed when he told me because I couldn't imagine Disney every doing that and it's not like we wouldn't go regardless.

She is the type that will never change her mind, so she wouldn't admit she was wrong and wouldn't even listen to an explanation. But I figured in the off (waaaay off) chance she was right I would ask.

Thanks!

DH
ME
DS5

Dude, Where's my Underwear TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3014168

You only have 2 years to make ADR's, an October 2014 PTR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024844
Kbendig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

She definitely has Disney and Universal confused.Universal does that at its Halloween Horror nights, and that is the reason it is NOT recommended for kids .Disney has NEVER done that and the party is good for all ages
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrich View Post
Very very wrong... I have been to the "NOT" SO SCARY PARTY a few times and nobody jumps out of anywhere. It's all good fun.
At our first party, we were back in Fantasyland and I turned around and the witch from Snow White lunged toward me - definitely took me by surprise.

But this is an incredibly isolated incident and I believe was unintentional (with the way those costumes are, I think she was doing a spooky walk around Fantasyland, turning her head back and forth as she walked, and I just happened to be in her path and she didn't see me until she was in front of me).

It's definitely not the norm, that's for sure! The situation the OP describes is more than likely Universal - we have never been intentionally scared at Disney. My kids love the parties, although this year put a damper on our enthusiasm - the parks were so crowded on both nights that we went, it was nothing like our first three parties .

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: