Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

Opinions Needed On Canon DSLRs

I received a canon T3i as a Christmas gift. Long story short, it died.(at Disney of course! ) I got an error 40 msg and it could not be repaired. It was still under warranty and I was given a brand new in the box T3i. My question is this ...is it worth it to pay the $150 difference and get the T4i or a little more (about $300) and get the D60? Would appreciate an input on these models and if they are worth the extra money to upgrade Thanks for your help!

Luvscrappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

Both are steps up. The 60D is bigger and seems nicer to me.. If you dont mind the size and cost then go for it. If you do mind the size the T4i might be a better choice.

Last edited by SplashMo; 10-06-2012 at 05:04 AM.
SplashMo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

The 60D does have some additional features I would like to have:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1135736

For me though, the weight and size tipped me in the direction of the T2i when I had to make a similar choice 2 years ago. The sensors were similar, so I just wanted that in the smallest package possible. I just felt like I was carrying around so much already I didn't want to add anything to that.

It all boils down to what is most important to you. Some days I feel like I absolutely made the right choice. Other days I feel like I should have gone with the 60D for the higher burst rate, although not as much any more now that my son stopped competitive running.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
reimero
DIS Veteran

I'm going to disagree with the 60D suggestion. The one thing the 60D has over the T4i is the body (size, control layout, etc.) If you want a bigger, more robust body, the 60D is a better fit. That said, several reviews I've read have indicated that the T4i is actually more of a successor to the 60D than the T3i. Yes, it's the smaller and less expensive EOS body, but what's inside is a fantastic leap forward.

In a nutshell, the T2i, T3i and 60D share the same image processor, the DIGIC4. That contributes in very large part to light sensitivity (and low-light performance), image quality, autofocus intelligence and similar technical issues. The T4i uses the DIGIC5 processor, first introduced on the 5D MkIII. You're not gaining any megapixels, but you're gaining an improvement in light sensitivity (and low-light performance), you gain some speed in shooting rapidly, you gain vastly improved autofocus while shooting video, and a variety of other improvements.

Per dpreview, the T4i is a superior camera.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

If it's only $150 I'd go for the T4i personally because it has features I'd use. And that's really what it comes down to. Will you use the features you'd gain? If so then it's worth it. If not then put that $150 toward a lens or something.

As far as T4i or 60D... When it comes down to it, if latest and greatest is what you're after, the T4i the way to go. But that's just one aspect to look at since size and features come into play for most of us.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Depending on your lens collection and the pricing of what you are looking at you could possibly buy a T4i kit and sell the lens in it and have no net out of pocket cost. There's a good market for brand new out of the kit lenses.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
Depending on your lens collection and the pricing of what you are looking at you could possibly buy a T4i kit and sell the lens in it and have no net out of pocket cost. There's a good market for brand new out of the kit lenses.
I would normally suggest this, but I believe the kit lens that comes with this camera may be what you need to accomplish auto focus in video mode..... which makes it worth the price of upgrade.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I would normally suggest this, but I believe the kit lens that comes with this camera may be what you need to accomplish auto focus in video mode..... which makes it worth the price of upgrade.
They sell two versions of the T4i kit. With the standard 18-55 it is $350 cheaper than with the 18-55 STM that will auto focus with video.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
They sell two versions of the T4i kit. With the standard 18-55 it is $350 cheaper than with the 18-55 STM that will auto focus with video.
Wow, that's a hefty difference.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Wow, that's a hefty difference.
Still cheaper than the $549 retail I'm about to shell out for the 18-135 stm. After seeing the sample images people are uploading, I'm going to use it for my walk around lens at WDW.

I'll also have a 17-50 f2.8 with me. The other lenses will stay in the resort room. I will bring the 55-250 with me to AK but that will probably be it.

I bought my t4i a couple weeks before they had the STM lens available

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

;

Last edited by Luvscrappin; 10-03-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
Still cheaper than the $549 retail I'm about to shell out for the 18-135 stm. After seeing the sample images people are uploading, I'm going to use it for my walk around lens at WDW.

I'll also have a 17-50 f2.8 with me. The other lenses will stay in the resort room. I will bring the 55-250 with me to AK but that will probably be it.

I bought my t4i a couple weeks before they had the STM lens available

Tell me what you think about your T4i. I think I'm leaning toward this camera, but waiting til my DH gets home from business tomorrow night. I have 30 days to make a decision, but I'm dying to get the camera and start playing! I personally like the light weight of the rebel series and I feel it will be less of an adjustment going to this vs the 60D. I just wish the rebel series had a little more weather resistance. I also didn't realize there were different versions of the kit lens and the newer STM ...I am sure the price comparison I made was not the STM version. Anyway, give me your thoughts since you bought this camera already! I really appreciate all the input I have received so far!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
MolonLabe
DTOM

I like the T4i. I can't personally compare it to anything else, as it's my first DSLR.

A friend who is very into cameras love his. He also has a 1D.

It's funny using lenses heavier than the body, lol.

All the pics in this folder were taken with my T4i:
http://s800.beta.photobucket.com/use...brary/Pictures

I've listed the lens I used on most.

These pics were taken thru a one way piece of glass:
http://s800.beta.photobucket.com/use...ctures/Animals

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
I like the T4i. I can't personally compare it to anything else, as it's my first DSLR.

A friend who is very into cameras love his. He also has a 1D.

It's funny using lenses heavier than the body, lol.

All the pics in this folder were taken with my T4i:
http://s800.beta.photobucket.com/use...brary/Pictures

I've listed the lens I used on most.

These pics were taken thru a one way piece of glass:
http://s800.beta.photobucket.com/use...ctures/Animals
Thanks! Nice shots..love the one of the girl with the dog. How do you like the touch screen? I was wondering if its difficult to see it in the bright sunlight?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/can...vs-60d-review/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: