Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Tennor
New to DISboards, not new to DISney

GAC Info (Not debate)

Hi all,

I'll be heading to DL with my DD who will have an alternate entrance Guest Assistance Card due to her rare condition of not being able to be exposed to sun light even in shade.

I read in another thread that there is a difference between a "Wheelchair GAC" and an Alternate Entrance GAC.

Are there multiple variations of the GAC?

Any other tips on what we can expect usuing the GAC? Last minute seating for a parade? Getting into shows like Aladdin without waiting in the sun?

I know many other threads talk about abuse of the GAC, and we do not want to abuse it - but we would like to know how to go about using it, what to expect, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

If a guest is in a wheelchair (or an ECV), then they actually do not NEED a GAC. Being in the wheelchair qualifies them to use the special entrances or the exit as an entrance to board rides if the regular line cannot accommodate them.

Guests should get a GAC card if they have needs that are not as obvious. If you go to City Hall and explain your DD's needs, they will check off the items on the GAC that will best help her. Then when you go to the ride, you'll show them your GAC and they will instruct you on what to do or where to go.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennor View Post
Hi all,

I'll be heading to DL with my DD who will have an alternate entrance Guest Assistance Card due to her rare condition of not being able to be exposed to sun light even in shade.

I read in another thread that there is a difference between a "Wheelchair GAC" and an Alternate Entrance GAC.

Are there multiple variations of the GAC?

Any other tips on what we can expect usuing the GAC? Last minute seating for a parade? Getting into shows like Aladdin without waiting in the sun?

I know many other threads talk about abuse of the GAC, and we do not want to abuse it - but we would like to know how to go about using it, what to expect, etc.

Thanks!
There are different stamps that are used on a GAC and the CMs stamp the GAC according to the needs that are explained to them.

There is no seating for the parade, unfortunately. I wouldn't expect that the area roped off for the handicapped would be in the shade, either. Best bet would be to find the best spot for you along the route and stake out a place early in the shade.

Aladdin has some shaded parts of the queue, but some of it is in the sun as well. However, I would discuss my needs with the CMs and show them your GAC. Perhaps someone could wait in the line while your daughter waits elsewhere in the shade until you go inside. They have allowed me to do that before when I visited with special needs kids.

The GAC can only help you with rides and some shows, not with character meet and greets (those such as the Princesses and Pixies are often in the sun). It also cannot help you with being in the sun while walking between attractions.

It would probably be most helpful to have a solid touring plan and a strategy to help you avoid sunlight during daylight hours. The GAC is limited in its helpfulness. Good planning on your part will probably be most helpful. Have fun!

ETA: I followed the link in your signature and your daughter is so cute! I see she has a special stroller. You will want to make sure you also get your GAC stamped for "stroller as wheelchair" and get the sticker from Guest Services to place on your stroller. This allows you to enter queues and shows with the stroller instead of having to park it. I would imagine this would be helpful for you.

Last edited by ArchOwl; 10-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: