Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #31
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

If she was able to eat some pumpkin bread, that's a very good sign! Both my kids were liquid only with this.

Has your older one had it before? If not, I would consider changing the date of your trip - simply because your older can quite possibly catch it within the next few days.

My son had to be held the entire 3 days pretty much. Poor baby was in misery. My DD just curled up quietly on the couch.

Both drank cold pediasure. They managed to drink maybe 1/2 a bottle or so in a day. I saw they have the pedialyte popsicles these days? We went straight to pediasure to get some extra nutrition in because they were barely taking anything in. Both lost a ton of weight. My DS liked drinking from a straw and my DD had to sip from a cup - I think it depended where their sores were.

On the good side, it only lasted 3 days for each child and then we were done.

The absolute WORST childhood disease! Much much worse than chicken pox. Funny thing is, we hear of chickenpox all the time, but never of hand, foot, and mouth - until our child gets it!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #32
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Exactly!!! I was like "hand, foot and WHAT disease?!" Funny my daughter has been held for the past three days too. Right now she is sitting on the couch with me with her arm wrapped around my neck! I actually went to Rite Aid yesterday and got Pediasure vanilla shake flavor. She has drank about half the little bottle today. None of my kids has ever had this. My cousins son had it last year, but didn't have the mouth lesions. Lily will just be sitting here or laying down and all of a sudden open her mouth and put her fingers to her mouth and start crying! And she says "mama, mama" about 150 times an hour! Poor baby. This is really the first time she has been sick, except for the occasional sniffles. I am worried about my ten year old catching it as well, since she kisses and hugs this little one constantly!

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Mom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #33
Magnetgirl25
Earning My Ears

Poor baby. This sounds like a similar experience we had this past summer. Our son started complaining on a Saturday evening of a slight sore throat. By Wednesday he had a case of full blown hand foot and mouth disease. We were leaving Friday for our vacation. He was miserable and he is 4. He would go into bouts of screaming and crying because he mouth hurt so bad. I had trouble getting him to eat or drink anything. By Saturday he hadn't moved much urine and I was getting REALLY concerned. I thought that for sure we would be visiting the hospital to hydrate him. It was AMAZING he woke up Sunday morning and like a new kid. Started to eat and drink with hardly any issues. I think that you just need to prepare yourself that the poor baby is going to be miserable to a while. The only other thing is wash wash wash your hands and everyone elses. It can be highly contagious and I would be concerned with your ten your old daughter. Good luck! Hopefully it is a mild case and it clears up quickly! Hope this helps! The other thing I would do is bring laundry detergent. I would wash her blankets and things when she is feeling better. Our son would not even swallow his slavia while we were traveling. It is so heartbreaking. Hang in there. I am so sorry.
Magnetgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
suzyqsam
Mouseketeer

This is going around like crazy in our school. I feel for everyone who gets it. Hoping everyone feels great for your trip and no one else gets sick while away.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #35
Magnetgirl25
Earning My Ears

You could try yogurt too! That seemed to work the first time he had it. He would eat the vanilla yogurt. But the first time was a more milder case then this past summer. He wouldn't touch it this past time. He said that it burned. Good Luck!!! Hope your daughter starts to feel better soon.
Magnetgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #36
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

:Thanks everyone. Right now Lily is actually walking around the living room eating the marshmallows out of a bowl of Lucky Charms!! Maybe she is on the mend. She had a bit more pediasure and has gotten off my lap for the first time in days. This sure is one nasty little virus. Her sores in the mouth don't look quite so inflamed. Our flight is Saturday morning at eight. I hope she feels better by then....right now I am getting a bit optimistic. Sure, with my luck my ten year old will come down with it Friday night!!!!!!!!:

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #37
zy144622
Mouseketeer

Most kids over five won't have an outbreak. Enjoy your trip!!!
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Four
:Thanks everyone. Right now Lily is actually walking around the living room eating the marshmallows out of a bowl of Lucky Charms!! Maybe she is on the mend. She had a bit more pediasure and has gotten off my lap for the first time in days. This sure is one nasty little virus. Her sores in the mouth don't look quite so inflamed. Our flight is Saturday morning at eight. I hope she feels better by then....right now I am getting a bit optimistic. Sure, with my luck my ten year old will come down with it Friday night!!!!!!!!:
This is wonderful news! I would say it looks like she's over the worst now. It's not as common for older kids so you might be okay there. Keep us updated. Prayers for Lily.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #39
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
This is wonderful news! I would say it looks like she's over the worst now. It's not as common for older kids so you might be okay there. Keep us updated. Prayers for Lily.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Thank you for the kind words!! She is napping on me right now......hopefully when she wakes up she will be feeling even better!!!!!!!

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
harrowgirl
Mouseketeer

It obviously depends on how severe a case she has. My son had it in June, right after he turned 2. He had a very mild case, a bit of a fever, and sores on the feet and lower back - nothing in the mouth. I kept him home from daycare for a week, but about 2 days after I noticed the sores he "seemed" fine to anyone who looked at him playing.

My coworker's son had it and basically had to be held for 10 days because he was so upset/hurting
harrowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #41
Lampoon2012
Earning My Ears

My, at the time, 7 year old son had it. He was in the hospital for 6 days. Scariest thing we had to go through as parents. Made me very great full for an otherwise healthy child.

At 18 months I would think shed be ok as the symptoms seem to subside faster the younger they are. As someone else stated, I'd be worried that your 10 year old would get it. The older they are the worse the symptoms.

Good luck and I hope everyone gets back to 100% quickly. Sick kids are no fun.

Lampoon2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #42
BeveMom
Mouseketeer

Those yogurt drinks are really good too. Try to stay away from anything that might be acidic - I get canker sores a lot, which are similar to the HFM mouth sores. Poor baby!
BeveMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #43
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Four View Post
Exactly!!! I was like "hand, foot and WHAT disease?!" Funny my daughter has been held for the past three days too. Right now she is sitting on the couch with me with her arm wrapped around my neck! I actually went to Rite Aid yesterday and got Pediasure vanilla shake flavor. She has drank about half the little bottle today. None of my kids has ever had this. My cousins son had it last year, but didn't have the mouth lesions. Lily will just be sitting here or laying down and all of a sudden open her mouth and put her fingers to her mouth and start crying! And she says "mama, mama" about 150 times an hour! Poor baby. This is really the first time she has been sick, except for the occasional sniffles. I am worried about my ten year old catching it as well, since she kisses and hugs this little one constantly!
I am sitting in a computer lab at college reading this and my eyes started watering. I feel so badly for your little girl. Just picturing her there saying Mama over and over. My 18 month old does says that when she is not happy. I am sending lots of virtual pixie dust and hugs to Lily. No child should be sick, ever.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
I am sitting in a computer lab at college reading this and my eyes started watering. I feel so badly for your little girl. Just picturing her there saying Mama over and over. My 18 month old does says that when she is not happy. I am sending lots of virtual pixie dust and hugs to Lily. No child should be sick, ever.
Thank you soooo very much!! I am so pleased to tell you that Lily is feeling much better! She woke up from her nap and had some Pediasure, then around dinner time my husband asked her if she would like some scrambled eggs. She replied "Egg!". She only ate half the plate but what an improvement from even yesterday!! Thanks to all for all of your heartfelt nice wishes and thoughts! Not to mention your advice and shared experiences!!!! The dis really does rock!!!!!

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

I think a lot just depends on your kid and their pain tolerance. My son used to get strep throat often (before his tonsils were taken out)so he has a high threshold for throat pain. He got HFM for the 3rd or 4th time in August and got hand and foot blisters for the first time. His feet bothered him the most when walking a lot. It did seem like the more active he was, the more blisters came out. Maybe try to keep her as sedentary as possible? Good luck and I hope you are able to make your trip!
vtownpatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: