Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

SNA vs. LAX

Been a while since I've been around the DL area of the Dis. But we have a trip planned for spring break (VGC), so I'll probably start checking in here a little more.

We've been to DL 4 or 5 times and have always enjoyed flying through SNA (last trip was March 2011) - nice, easy (small) airport to get in and out of, 20-30 minute ride to DL. So our preference is to use SNA as long as the cost is reasonable.

For those like me that enjoy the conveniences of SNA, how much total cost difference would be a dealbreaker for you to consider LAX (further, more chance of traffic, shuttle's probably a little more, much busier airport) instead?

Thanks
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Sgtfox
Earning My Ears

Recently, for some reason I can't explain, SNA has been cheaper than LAX by quite a bit. We always use SNA now.
Sgtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

i would spring for either SNA or LGB. unfortunately, for our December trip we are forced to do LAX due to pricing
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

I've done LAX a number of times and SNA for the first time this trip. I HIGHLY recommend SNA. It's a small airport and easy to navigate through and only 20-30 min from the park. I'll take SNA from now on, regardless of price. The ease of the airport alone is worth it to me.

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
wannagoback
Broke them in before the trip
We were with Goofy and Donald on the Teacups ride

I generally plan my vacations around affordable airfare and hotels. So, if air to SNA or LGB is not a price I am willing to pay then I just don't even consider the vacation!

But, assuming my dates have little flexibility and to actually answer your question. The price break for me would probably be about $50/person, regardless of how many people I am actually paying for. This means that would pay $250 extra for the convenience of getting my whole family to SNA but only $50 if I was only paying for myself.
wannagoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

How are you getting to Disneyland from the airport? Is ground transportation cheaper from SNA than LAX would be? That would justify slightly higher airfare.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Mel522
DIS Veteran

This year we did LAX because it was $40 cheaper a person. Totally not worth it. Will definitely do SNA or LGB next time.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
How are you getting to Disneyland from the airport? Is ground transportation cheaper from SNA than LAX would be? That would justify slightly higher airfare.
We take the Disneyland Express bus and its cheaper with SNA. Any money you may save on your flight might not be worth it depending on time and cost of transportation.

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
anc876
Mouseketeer

I'm from AZ and would do SNA except it's slighty cheaper to go into LAX for some reason, but the kicker is that flights into SNA have a layover making it a 4.5 hr trip vs a 1.5 hr nonstop. We have a toddler and want the quickest route possible. SuperShuttle (with coupon codes) is who we use for transport.
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Ancient Purple
Earning My Ears

I am in Phoenix and will avoid LAX like the plague. The price would have to be at least $50 or more cheaper to fly into LAX before I would abandon flying into any other airport in the region. Even Ontario is a better option than LAX.

SNA is a complete breeze to get in and out of including returning a rental and getting around in the terminal.
Ancient Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Purple View Post
I am in Phoenix and will avoid LAX like the plague. The price would have to be at least $50 or more cheaper to fly into LAX before I would abandon flying into any other airport in the region. Even Ontario is a better option than LAX.

SNA is a complete breeze to get in and out of including returning a rental and getting around in the terminal.
Agreed. I'll drive 40 miles to ONT to avoid LAX. ONT was really low key. Almost too much. There was no one there and there was very few concessions. Made it easy though to get in and out. SNA is the best though with LGB a close second.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
scoker
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking for my family of three the ticket price difference would have to be at least $50 before I would consider LAX. A bigger determiner would probably be direct vs. indirect flight. We have more than one option to fly from Houston to SNA directly so for us it is 100% price vs. convenience.
scoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
SA mom
DIS Veteran

I think the direct-v-indirect flight would also be an important factor. We went through SNA in June and it was breeze. It was cheaper for us (from San Antonio) and we had to make a connection no matter what.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Geemo
DIS Veteran

My choice is SNA. The smaller airport makes it a breeze to come and go.

For ground transportation we have used super Shuttle, 24/7 and Yellow Cab.

As long as Yellow cab has "Flat Rate" fares, we'll go with a cab.

Geemo
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I also agree that non-stop vs connection is a consideration for me. If I can get a non-stop to LAX vs a connection to SNA, I will go with the non-stop as long as the prices are close. The shorter total airline time is worth extra ground transportation time, plus less stress worrying about making a connection. Unfortunately for me lately, it's been a connection to either so I've been doing SNA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: