Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you eat the roast?
Absolutely-I'm sure the heat will kill anything that may have grown in there. 44 26.51%
Not a chance! 113 68.07%
Other, because there is always an other. 9 5.42%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
mickeyplanner08
DIS Veteran

Would you eat this?

So, this morning I put a pork loin in the crockpot and set it to start. Walked out and left for work, but didn't actually turn the crockpot on. So, the pork loin and potatos sat until I got home at 12:45 (about 5 hours). I then cursed, turned it on high, and cooked it up. I'm planning on eating it, but I may have to update tomorrow when we are all violently ill

So, would you eat it?

Poll coming up!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

So you are saying it sat in the crock pot at room temp/not cooking for 5 hours? Absolutely no I would not eat it....I wouldn't even consider that a possibility after 5 hours.

Cooking it will not necessarily kill off bacteria (basically the bacterial count could be so high no amount of cooking will make it safe for consumption).

Quote:
. Foods may have some bacteria on them when you buy them. Raw meat may become contaminated during slaughter. Fruits and vegetables may become contaminated when they are growing or when they are processed. But it can also happen in your kitchen if you leave food out for more than 2 hours at room temperature
Quote:
If food is left out too long, some bacteria, such as staphylococcus aureus (staph), can form a heat-resistant toxin that cooking can't destroy.
Quote:
TWO HOURS is the MAXIMUM time perishable foods should be at room temperature (ONE HOUR at temperatures 90 degrees F and higher). This INCLUDES the time they're on the table during your meal. Just ONE bacterium, doubling every 20 minutes, can grow to over 2,097,152 bacteria in 7 hours!
http://food.unl.edu/web/safety/reheatfood
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I would possibly consider eating it, but DH would make me toss it out. I selected other in the poll.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

No, I wouldn't eat it. Sure cooking it may kill any bacteria that has grown on it, but since I couldn't be 100% sure about that I wouldn't chance it.

Having said that, I'm sure in my lifetime I have eaten something like that, however its all psychological and I wouldn't knowingly do it. Ignorance can be bliss
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Nope, in the garbage it would go.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

No way!
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Nope.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
shortbun
Peacenik

no

Is anyone going to say yes?Quite risky imho.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Not only will I say yes, I would but yes, I have!

I have done it with quite a few things, beef stew, soups, chicken salsa, etc.

And mine sits for closer to 9 hours before I discover it!

Guts of iron, apparently!
Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

No way, I would definatley toss it.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Was the pork loin sitting in liquid? If so, then absolutely not as it would cool off very quickly.

If it wasn't in liquid, then how cold was the pork loin when you put it in the crockpot and how big is it? If it was quite large and very cold (i.e., partially thawed or from a very cold fridge), and then put inside the fairly insulated crock pot, it would likely be okay (although I'm still not sure if I'd risk it).
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

No. You should not eat any food that has sat at room temperature for more than 4 hours. It is not safe.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
mickeyplanner08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDisneyFanatic View Post
Was the pork loin sitting in liquid? If so, then absolutely not as it would cool off very quickly.

If it wasn't in liquid, then how cold was the pork loin when you put it in the crockpot and how big is it? If it was quite large and very cold (i.e., partially thawed or from a very cold fridge), and then put inside the fairly insulated crock pot, it would likely be okay (although I'm still not sure if I'd risk it).
It was cold, and not placed in liquid. I'm going to eat it, but I'm not sure if I'll feed it to the children
Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner08 View Post
It was cold, and not placed in liquid. I'm going to eat it, but I'm not sure if I'll feed it to the children
Please don't feed it to your kids. Is whatever the cost of the pork loin was more than the hospital or Dr visits that could result from this? 5 hours is a ridiculous amount of time for a meat product..pork no less to be sitting out at room temperature and not safe to consume. Chalk it up as a loss and eat something in the house for dinner tonight (other than the pork loin).

Remember it only takes that 1 time for you or your family to become seriously ill from food borne bacteria.

Quote:
Pork should be stored so that it is kept out of the temperature zone in which bacteria, that causes foodborne illness, grows quickly. The danger temperature zone is a range between 40°F and 140°F. Raw pork can be stored in a refrigerator several days, depending on the type of cut. If it is not to be used within the recommended time, it should be frozen to prevent it from perishing. Leftover cooked pork should be wrapped tightly and refrigerated as soon as possible. Do not leave any pork at room temperature for more than two hours.
Quote:
Raw pork should not be left in room temperature conditions for more than two hours, according to the Food Safety and Inspection Service. If it exceeds this time frame, throw it out as cooking will not necessarily kill all the bacteria.

Last edited by Coconut36; 10-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

I would not, but my inlaws (who have been together 52 years) have been eating this way for, well, 52 years. I honestly don't think either has had a stomach ailment in the 30 plus years I've known there. It's a little scary. I truly, honestly, don't eat at their house...

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: