DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
DianaM
Earning My Ears

Two Different Use Years

My husband and I are currently in the ROFR wait for SSR 250 points, April use year. We have just put a bid in for a SSR 25 point contract with a June use year, but have not signed the contract yet. Will this be a problem if we have two different use years? Or will we be able to transfer the 25 point contract to the 250 point contract every year? Thanks! This is so confusing!
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

just remember that your 25 pts will retain their different banking window and usage/expiration dates.

also, you can bank transferred pts ahead but you can't borrow them, so that has tripped up a few people.

but with a little extra work to keep track of those pts, that plan should work fine.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
DianaM
Earning My Ears

What does that mean that we can "bank transferred points ahead" but not borrow? Im hoping to get the hang of this soon..Also the SSR Contract with April use year with 250 points has 239 points available now, which need to be banked by November 30. Assuming we dont close by November 30, we will lose the ability to bank those?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
chalee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaM View Post
What does that mean that we can "bank transferred points ahead" but not borrow?
that's the rule for all points transferred in. you can bank them to use them in the next UY...but some people like to use 3 UYs-worth of pts by using banked/current/borrowed pts and that's not an option when you transfer pts in from another contract.

Quote:
Also the SSR Contract with April use year with 250 points has 239 points available now, which need to be banked by November 30. Assuming we dont close by November 30, we will lose the ability to bank those?
right - you'd really need to have the current owners to bank them or else they will expire at the end of march 2013 (in other words, you'd need to use them for a stay before april 1, 2013).

Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

Jumping in here..... Could you please explain transferred points to me? Is this only when you hold more than one contract with different use years? Thanks!
Bertie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
chalee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie131 View Post
Jumping in here..... Could you please explain transferred points to me? Is this only when you hold more than one contract with different use years? Thanks!
you have the option (one time per UY only - either in or out, but not both) of transferring pts from one membership to another membership.

if i'm not using 20 pts from my oct 2012 UY OKW contract, i can transfer them to you. then you'd have 20 OKW pts that are valid for stays from oct 1, 2012 to sept 30, 2013 (i.e. my UY and home resort still apply, but you control the pts.)

if you have 2 contracts under the same membership (i.e. they have to have the same UY month and be titled the same), then no transfers are necessary. this is the easier way to do things. it's called having an "add-on" to your master contract and they work together pretty seamlessly (but they can still be sold or willed separately - and as i've said before, they would be separate until 7 months out if they are different home resorts).

but if you have 2 contracts with different UYs, they are different memberships...so you could not combine pts from both contracts to book a single night stay (using 8pts from contract A and 12 pts from contract B) and instead, you'd have to book 3 nights with contract A and 4 nights with contract B and have MS link the reservations so that you wouldn't have to move (assuming the same resort/room type are booked). it's more like the contracts are owned by separate people - so you'd need to transfer the pts to make things a little easier (the transferred pts can be pooled together to book a single night stay).

Last edited by chalee94; 10-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

Thank you!
Bertie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
My husband and I are currently in the ROFR wait for SSR 250 points, April use year. We have just put a bid in for a SSR 25 point contract with a June use year, but have not signed the contract yet. Will this be a problem if we have two different use years? Or will we be able to transfer the 25 point contract to the 250 point contract every year? Thanks! This is so confusing!
Do yourself a favor and stay with one UY. Why take on the extra work and potential problems if there really isn't a benefit.

We have transfered points before and found out that MS has trouble keeping track of the points and they caused us to lose a reservation.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
DianaM
Earning My Ears

Thank You!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
DianaM
Earning My Ears

Actually,

I ahve one more question. If we ever wanted to add on 25 points, could we do that directly through Disney for SSR? Or is SSR sold out? Then would we get the same use year? If we added on through Disney, would there be any closing costs?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
drusba

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually,

I ahve one more question. If we ever wanted to add on 25 points, could we do that directly through Disney for SSR? Or is SSR sold out? Then would we get the same use year? If we added on through Disney, would there be any closing costs?

You can add on through DVD and it will give your exisitng use year. Even for sold out resorts it gets back points via foreclosures and exercising right of first refusal for resales. Moreover, it is not believed that it ever actually sold out SSR. You thus should easily be able to get 25 points through DVD. Nevertheless the price DVD charges is a lot more than you can pay through resale.

We have two use years. It is not any big problem. The options for reserving when using both is either to transfer points from one contract to the other or reserve some nights with one contract and rest with the other and link the reservations so they will be treated as one at the resort. You can transfer only once per use year. The points will have different banking dates and you cannot transfer points that have already been banked or borrowed but you can bank regular points after they are transferred. With two use years, you get two member numbers, and for most purposes it is like you are two separate members -- you get two annual statements and you pay dues on each separately. However, both contracts will show up on in your single on-line account with Disney.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
DianaM
Earning My Ears

Thank You! That actually explains it pretty well. I think we will go through with the contract for the 25 points. Its hard to find small contracts through resale and I dont want to lose it.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Do yourself a favor and stay with one UY. Why take on the extra work and potential problems if there really isn't a benefit.

We have transfered points before and found out that MS has trouble keeping track of the points and they caused us to lose a reservation.

Bill
I have to agree with this. I had two use years and I can't tell you how much of a relief it was when I sold my August contract! The biggest problem I found was that I could not combine points from my contracts to book a vacation unless I transferred them. They are treated like stand-alone contracts and you can only book whole days with each of them. Your 25-point contract can't even buy 2 nights in a studio at SSR in value season! You can only book one day and then you have 12 useless (at SSR) points left over that will have to be banked forward. You will be left with banking, borrowing, juggling or transferring to use those few points in a different use year.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
DianaM
Earning My Ears

If we buy our first contract via resale and then want to add on through DVD, are we able to do that? If we purchase an add on directly through DVD, are there closing costs involved?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

FWIW, the thread below talked me out of having two different UY.

http://www.htp.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40068752
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: