Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
We don't download movies or anything on the phone we have, or the ipad. We cut cable so long ago, and use a roku box. I got tired of all these companies bleeding us dry. So we make sure they get nothing extra from us.
Well that's where you have to be careful as everything you stream counts, be it from an IPad, Xbox or Roku. My cable company is also my internet provider and doesn't have any caps for now but I dread the day they decide to have them.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
When we had DSL through AT&T we did have a cap and got hit with a $10 overage charge a couple of times, but the service we have now (still through AT&T but we switched to their Uverse service as soon as it became available here) has no cap at all. But if we only went over on occasion with 2 computers used to support an MMORPG habit, an iPod Touch, three internet-connected gaming systems, and a blu-ray player, and every device used for Netflix and Hulu at times, I don't think caps are something an average user needs to worry about.
Well if our AT&T DSL actually has a cap, they have never informed us about its existence, nor have they provided any means for us to monitor our usage. I'm guessing that if we DID have a cap, we'd come pretty close to it or exceed it regularly, because DH is ALWAYS streaming (at least 12 hours a day), and he works at home uploading and downloading enormous data bases, and we have multiple lap tops, tablets, and smartphones on the connection for most of the day (3 people home almost 24/7). I'd guess that any actual cap, if enforced would affect us negatively.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Actually AT&T does have caps but have not enforced them yet.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/A...ge-Caps-118009
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

The article on the first page said they put the caps in place and then they had to deal with the backlash from their customers, so I guess they decided it wasn't worth it.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

Actually, if you read the comments on that page you'll find reports of some enforcement. It seems to vary by market.

I'm not in the same county the first complaint mentions but I'm only a few counties over and was at the time in the same situation - AT&T DSL or cable were the only broadband options available. And when Uverse did become available, less than a year ago, AT&T used those overage charges as a sales tool in their calls about upgrading.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjovigirl
We have always had caps here in Canada on cell internet use as well as thru our home provider. Have always dreamed of the day we would have plans offered to us like they have in the USA..........
I am in Ontario and we don't have caps that I am aware of. I could be wrong though. I have no idea how to check how much we even use?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
I am in Ontario and we don't have caps that I am aware of. I could be wrong though. I have no idea how to check how much we even use?
I'm in Ontario as well. And we are capped and always have been. You may be able to find a small company (Acanac, Distributel) with no or high caps, but Cogeco, Rogers, and Bell have caps and that's why we pay varying price levels for internet service. Our limit is on our Cogeco bill. You can also check usage through your modem set up and your online account with Cogeco.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
BunsenH
Bringing Order to Chaos

I just checked my Comcast account. We've averaged 6G/month over the last 3 months. I guess I don't need to worry about a cap due to usage! It wouldn't be a problem if we used more since the site has this posted.

Note:enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended

You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?...
BunsenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
I'm in Ontario as well. And we are capped and always have been. You may be able to find a small company (Acanac, Distributel) with no or high caps, but Cogeco, Rogers, and Bell have caps and that's why we pay varying price levels for internet service. Our limit is on our Cogeco bill. You can also check usage through your modem set up and your online account with Cogeco.
Hmm....good to know, I'll have to check this out. I had no idea there was a cap!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Interesting. We don't stream much - my husband does sometimes I think. He stays up way later than I do and watches movies I'm not interested in then.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. LOL

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
Hmm....good to know, I'll have to check this out. I had no idea there was a cap!
Well the good news is if you didn't know you had a cap you aren't going over it all the time

You might want to see if you could drop to a smaller plan though if you aren't using the amount you have. It would save a few dollars

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: