Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
jodifla

DIS Veteran

How previous generations stayed thin....

They SMOKED cigarettes! Like packs a day.

Yes, there was definitely more physical activity back then, and far fewer office jobs, but so many people in previous generations were chain smokers, and for many, many people, that's a huge appetite suppressant.

This is why so many in the entertainment field still smoke -- so they can stay thin.

Nobody in my parents day ran or went to the gym. My dad was a chain smoker, as were many of his friends. My father was rail thin his whole life.

It just bothers me that this point is never factored in.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I've never smoked other then as a teenager for a year or so. I am now 32 and while I work on my feet all day I don't run, go to the gym, work out ect. I stay thin because I eat very healthy and reasonable portions. I don't eat any meat and very little dairy. I eat tons of fruits and veggies. I've never dieted or tried to be thin, I'm just natuarally that way because of how I eat. Everyone always asked my how I can be so thin (5'5 108lbs). It's easy, don't eat a bunch of crap. Oh and I also eat carbs

Last edited by mombrontrent; 10-02-2012 at 02:34 PM.
mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

It might have had some effect I don't think smoking was a major factor in people staying thin. We generally lived a less sedentary lifestyle and ate less processed foods. Even less healthy natural foods metabolize differently than the science experiments many people now mistake for food. The vast majority of my friends are not overweight and I can only think of 2 that smoke but I can think of a lot that run and don't eat the majority of their meals out of a box. What is considered a single portion now is often at least double what it was even when I was a kid and I'm 34.

Anyone can find an anecdote here or there to prove the exception but it isn't a single aspect of lifestyle that is damaging our current population or that helped previous generations, it is the lifestyle as a whole.

Last edited by FireDancer; 10-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I think it'd be an interesting study - absolutely true in the case of my Grandmother.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

None of my ancestors smoked and they were all rail thin.

Portions were smaller. Seriously - look at old Coke ads. They claimed a 12 ounce bottle was two servings.

People were more active. Many more lived in cities or small towns and walked; there was no dependence on automobiles the way there is now. My parents were the first people on either side of their family to own a car. (And until I was 7, it was one car, shared by the two of them.)

People did not snack. Three meals a day, with a lot more fruits and vegetables than the average American eats now.

Fast food did not make up a large part of the diet/lifestyle. Maybe a once in a while treat, but people were not eating 700-plus calorie meals a few times a week.

And they all did this without belonging to gyms. We're grown so soft.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

My grandfather truly defied the laws of medical science. At 89 years old, he lived on a diet of cigarettes and coffee. When he did eat, he usually fried himself up a steak and ate thees little chocolates. He lived this way for a decade. He was diagnosed with emphysema back in the 70s, but didn't even have to go on oxygen until his final month. I honestly have no idea how he lived as long as he did.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
My grandfather truly defied the laws of medical science. At 89 years old, he lived on a diet of cigarettes and coffee. When he did eat, he usually fried himself up a steak and ate thees little chocolates. He lived this way for a decade. He was diagnosed with emphysema back in the 70s, but didn't even have to go on oxygen until his final month. I honestly have no idea how he lived as long as he did.
My grandmother lived well into her 80's on a diet of cigarettes and coffee also. Most foods she ate were fried or covered in gravy or butter or something. As kids when we would ask her to quit smoking she would say "I've been smoking since I was 16. If it gives you cancer I've got and they don't have a cure. I'm xx years old and I don't see any point in stopping now." Sometimes we would ask her to quit just to hear her little rant. She was never diagnosed with cancer or anything.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
newt2
Mouseketeer

I got fat when I quit smoking, but I doubt that's the main reason for obesity in America.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I think there are just as many fat smokers as there are fat non-smokers.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
I got fat when I quit smoking, but I doubt that's the main reason for obesity in America.
While I have no idea about you personally many times the reason for this is that the compulsion to smoke is replaced with the compulsion to eat. Nicotine is also a stimulant and that raises the metabolism. Metabolism is a much more complex thing than just a calorie burner but people mistake the lack of a stimulated metabolism with that of a slow metabolism. Quitting smoking normally corrects the metabolism down to where it should be and while that does burn slightly less calories it isn't enough to cause a great deal of weight gain, especially if you don't increase the caloric intake along with quitting smoking.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
tmarquez
DIS Veteran

Yeah they were lucky! They got to drink at lunch too!
tmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquez View Post
Yeah they were lucky! They got to drink at lunch too!
And the Doctors passed out "Mommy's little helper" pills.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Dr did prescribe smoking to loss weight in days gone by.

The French are heavy smokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
It might have had some effect I don't think smoking was a major factor in people staying thin. We generally lived a less sedentary lifestyle and ate less processed foods. Even less healthy natural foods metabolize differently than the science experiments many people now mistake for food. The vast majority of my friends are not overweight and I can only think of 2 that smoke but I can think of a lot that run and don't eat the majority of their meals out of a box. What is considered a single portion now is often at least double what it was even when I was a kid and I'm 34.

Anyone can find an anecdote here or there to prove the exception but it isn't a single aspect of lifestyle that is damaging our current population or that helped previous generations, it is the lifestyle as a whole.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
They SMOKED cigarettes! Like packs a day.

Yes, there was definitely more physical activity back then, and far fewer office jobs, but so many people in previous generations were chain smokers, and for many, many people, that's a huge appetite suppressant.

This is why so many in the entertainment field still smoke -- so they can stay thin.

Nobody in my parents day ran or went to the gym. My dad was a chain smoker, as were many of his friends. My father was rail thin his whole life.

It just bothers me that this point is never factored in.
I agree with the bolded. Also, alot more mothers were stay at home and made food from scratch. It wasn't processed and families didn't have to run to McDonald's in between all their activities. Portions were much smaller as well.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
Dr did prescribe smoking to loss weight in days gone by.

The French are heavy smokers.
And they also prescribed heroin as a cough suppressant. Doctors in the past did a lot of dumb (in retrospect) things.

As for the French, generally they are but so are Italians. I spend two weeks in Italy and anyone being even slightly overweight stood out. But I don't think the smoking had much to do with it. Some other things I noticed in Italy though that I do think had much more to do with it:

Much more food was freshly made and not boxed. I went into a couple of grocery stores (in Rome and in Siena) and in both there was a lot of fresh produce, meat, and breads and very little boxed food.

Many more people walked places. Some cities (like Siena again) didn't even allow cars inside the city walls.

Portions sizes were way smaller. For example we went into a cafe in Colle Val d'Elsa and noticed that the canolli they sold was the size of about a 5 year old's thumb. Here they are closer to the size of a Chipotle burrito.

The prepared fast food was fresh made sandwiches as opposed to McDonald's. Sure, there were some of the chains in the bigger cities but it was much easier to walk into a small cafe and spend 3 Euros on a panini made fresh there as opposed to a patty of pink slime.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: