Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
kll856
Earning My Ears

Line etiquette and strategy

Going to DLR for the first time with two little ones. Thinking about lines and strategies, wondering if it's generally acceptable to have one person save places in a long line. So if my husband waits in a line that's say 45 minutes, while the kids and I go get some ice cream and come back and meet him in line when there's only like 10 minutes left - is this typical, or is it annoying, or even disallowed?
kll856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Satchmo128
I could ride Expedition Everest over and over and over and over and...........

That is definitely something that I would frown upon (and I believe others would as well). You would essentially have to walk through the entire line to meet up with him.

Trips to Cali Parks: 1999 (April), 2003 (March), 2005 (August), 2007 (September), 2010 (January), 2012 (October), 2014 (July)
Trips to WDW Parks: Our Honeymoon - 2009 (February), 2010 (September), 2011 (November), 2012 (December), 2013 (November), 2014 (December)
Satchmo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Everyone has a different opinion, but I see most people will have no issue with it if it is for a child's potty break. Not standing in a long line simply because it will be long will be frowned upon and is not good etiquette in my opinion. If you want to go on the ride, you should wait like everyone else.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kll856 View Post
Going to DLR for the first time with two little ones. Thinking about lines and strategies, wondering if it's generally acceptable to have one person save places in a long line. So if my husband waits in a line that's say 45 minutes, while the kids and I go get some ice cream and come back and meet him in line when there's only like 10 minutes left - is this typical, or is it annoying, or even disallowed?
I agree with the PP that this is something that is typically frowned upon because in many/most cases you'd end up having to push your way through the entire line to catch up with your husband. In some of the Fantasyland lines, the cue isn't really all that wide, you'll definitely end up on someone's toes at some point. It's better to keep your party together and pick up the ice cream before you get in line.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
disney4cam
Mouseketeer

We have only done this a couple times, potty breaks, snack, whatever, but we usually scope out the line, and only do it if there is a way to get back in line without disturbing anyone. Some rides it is nearly impossible to catch up to someone in line.

I agree it sucks to have the kids wait in a long line, but that's the way it goes. That is the reason we pull our kids from school and go in the off season.
disney4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Ingrid0382
Mouseketeer

Please don't do this.

As the parent of a little one (and two big kids) I can completely understand how long lines can be a frustrating. But I think you'll find yourself pushing past quite a few frustrated people that have sucked it up and waited patiently in line with their children.

There was a family that kept hitting the same rides were were in Fantasyland during our last trip and using the same method you described: Dad waits in line while kids and Mom get candy or meet a princess. Someone else must have been making the same ride "loop" as we were and got fed up and said something to a CM, or the CM saw what was happening, because the family was approached by two CMs that weren't ride operators when the mother was getting ready to join the line and quietly informed that the expectation is to have a party together before entering a que. Dad ended up leaving the line to come back and join the rest of his family.

People clapped, which I thought was a bit mean and unnecessary, but it does kind of give you an idea of how people in the parks feel about this.
Ingrid0382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
DisneyMomof2inSLC
Mouseketeer

i think there have been a couple of threads about this and most agree if its 1 parent and 1 small child running to the restroom than its okay, but anything else is looked at as line jumping! I was just at DCA last week in line for Francis Lady Bug Bop and had a whole family, with older children, crowd to the front of the line which caused the rest of us to have to wait longer. It's annoying. To me, having a 2 and 4 year old, if they dont have the patience to wait in line, i skip the ride! Which is why we missed Cars Land!!
DisneyMomof2inSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

This thread will blow up.

I do not find it acceptable at all to hold a space in line. Leaving a line for a short time for a potty break is fine.

Just imagine the chaos if everyone had only 1person in line for their whole party.

50 people in line , holding spaces for 4 people each really makes the line 200 people long.

No way WDW line wait time estimate would be correct.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kll856 View Post
No, it's not okay to cut the line ahead of others that have been standing in line waiting. My family all enters the line together and exits the line together. I usually make my children go to the bathroom before getting in line but, if there is a bathroom emergency, I exit the line and return. This is not cutting since we were already there. Keep in mind, it is not always easy to rejoin your party once you exit.

My general rule of thumb, if you were already in line and have to leave for potty break it is okay since you were already in line. If you were never in line to begin with, it is cutting. YMMV.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
This thread will blow up...
Click here for previous heated discussion thread
Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
kll856
Earning My Ears

Thanks all! I totally understand and get it, which is why I asked. I wasn't sure if that type of thing would be the norm - if it were, I would probably adopt a "if you can't beat them join them" type of response, but I understand and tend to agree. Just wanted to know what to plan on!
kll856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Ingrid0382
Mouseketeer

FWIW, I think it was considerate of you to take the time to ask
Ingrid0382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Definitely not the "norm" or the "accepted" by most park guests but there will be someone who does it every trip. We do not do this, we always do a bathroom break prior to getting in line and then we wait, together, as a family. We've always done this. We started going when DD12 was 6, she waited with the rest of us.
I don't mind when little ones have to use the restroom but I definitely feel the family should wait together in line.

Thanks for asking

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
guynhawaii
Mouseketeer

Not recommended

Aloha,

Don't recommend someone standing in line for the rest of the family. Bad idea. Everybody spends a lot of $$, time and sweat (during the recent heat) and saving a spot in a line is definitely a non-starter.
guynhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid0382 View Post
FWIW, I think it was considerate of you to take the time to ask
I agree

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: