Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
ps17
DIS Veteran

Dis Magic Vet Needs Guidance Planning Fantasy Western....

OK folks, mutliple Disney Magic repeat veteran cruiser here. We have an upcoming deadline to plan a trip and make reservations on an upcoming Fantasy cruise (stops at Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel - not necessarily in that order). Need some help with a few issues so we can plan

1) What are the "nights" for this cruise? When is semi-formal, formal night and Pirate night? This will help selection of our Palo night.

2) We have seen it and done it all as far a Pirate night on the Magic. Is the show on the Fantasy any better? Is it the same? Is it differrent enough go out of our way to see?

3) Is the animators show differrent enough to the extent that we need to go out of our way to make sure we see?

4) Is tendering process for non-excursion same, better, or worse (more delays) than Magic?

5) Palo dinner is our favorite and since we are "tradition laden", will we regret not doing Remy?

6) Is Palo brunch about the same as it is on Magic?

7) Costa Maya. What to do?

Other than the slightly differrent or "more enforced" embarkation/arrival) procedures, is there anything else we should know to prepare for this cruise?

Thanks in advance for answers to any of this?
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
reimero
DIS Veteran

I can answer a handful of these.
Formal night is Sunday. Pirate night is Wednesday (Cozumel). Semi-Formal is Thursday.
The second Animator's show is not to be missed! It is absolutely worth going out of your way to see. The first is more a matter of personal preference.

I haven't done Palo or Remy, but from what I've gathered, it does kinda depend on what you're looking for. If spending $150 per person at Victoria & Albert's is a highlight of your trip to Disney World, do Remy. If not, do Palo.

We're also looking at Western Caribbean excursions. Costa Maya will be a relatively short stay, and I hear there's lots of no cost/low cost beach available. Take a taxi into town, and there's about a mile or so of public beach, where the loungers and umbrellas and such are owned by local restaurants. There's sort of an agreement that you can use their facilities if you order food or a drink. We're thinking of going that route because it's low cost and relatively low impact, and my DW wants some beach time.
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
ps17
DIS Veteran

thanks remeiro,

Are you saying that the second round of dining at Animators is when they do the fancy show with lights and effects? hich equates to your third, fourth, or fifth nights of cruise?)
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There are 2 different Animator's shows on the Fantasy...and you need to see at least the second one. First one is Crush--it's OK. Second one is great. Hint--do not do a black suit or dress on your character or they won't be able to use it. It is completely different from the shows on the Magic and Wonder, and you don't want to miss it. Just do it.

Palo is a little bigger, but both brunch and dinner are basically like the Magic.

Tendering typically very smooth; relatively little wait. However, your experience may vary.

Pirate night--about the same.

If you are real foodies, do Remy. If not, I don't think you'll regret it. Palo manager was really happy that we did 2 nights in Palo rather than doing Remy on our May crusie.

What not to miss--AquaDuck--at least once. Europa area--even if just to walk thru, this is an experience. The Tube is fun area. The shows are new and different. Not totally great, but well worth seeing. Skip the ship's tour (orientation), do the Art of the Steamship. See the $60K mouse at Remy. Do the Midship Detective Agency, even if you are a retirement age detective.

Stay on the ship and enjoy it! We loved exploring on port days.

Play Putt Putt if you are so inclined. Visit Satellite Falls. Vista Cafe (family area) has the same munchies as the Cove Cafe. Enchanted Garden has great ice cream.

There is no library/book shelf on board. I had an interesting discussion about that with an officer...so if you are a reader, be sure to bring your own.

Last edited by kcashner; 10-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

We have done the Wonder and the Dream - so, pretty similar to your situation.

You can easily skip the pirate party. We found it to be much less enjoyable than on the Wonder - many, many more people squeezed onto the deck.

Other than that, the Dream is at least as awesome as the Wonder! We really loved the Aquaduck - adults (me) too. Opinions varied in our group as to whether Animator's was better or worse- it is definitely different.

Have a great time!
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassslipper2004 View Post
We have done the Wonder and the Dream - so, pretty similar to your situation.

You can easily skip the pirate party. We found it to be much less enjoyable than on the Wonder - many, many more people squeezed onto the deck.

Other than that, the Dream is at least as awesome as the Wonder! We really loved the Aquaduck - adults (me) too. Opinions varied in our group as to whether Animator's was better or worse- it is definitely different.

Have a great time!
I think the second night Animator's show is a "Fantasy only" thing....could be wrong though.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I think the second night Animator's show is a "Fantasy only" thing....could be wrong though.
That is correct.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

tendering: everyone wants to be the first off the ship, resulting in waiting, unless you're on a DCL shore excursion. They have priority access. Depending on the schedule, shore excursion people have been known to return to the ship half an hour after everyone else has to be back on board. DCL plans the late arrival to keep the group together without overcrowding the tenders.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: