Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
tmarquez
DIS Veteran

cell phone warranty? Squaretrade.com?

I'm upgrading DD's cell phone to a nice Android phone. The last 2 phones she had, the touch screen went out in less than a year on both of them (same brand phone). So I don't know if it is just a junky phone or she is doing something. She also got a Nook tablet last Christmas and DH dropped it and broke the screen. We are not having good luck with electronics.

So I'm thinking a warranty is in order. Has anyone ever used Squaretrade.com? Worth it? Thanks!
tmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Hi, I have used Square Trade for a computer and a camera. The computer had a hot cup of tea spilled on it (I had accidental damage as an add on to normal coverage) I had to send the computer to them to be repaired. They determined (very quickly) it could not be fixed and sent me a check for full purchase price ($1200.) The camera that I put coverage on has had no issues. The reason I put a policy by Square Trade on it was because I wanted the accidental coverage on my new camera. (my old one had an accidental fall onto cement ) Their prices for coverage are budget friendly Joan
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
curlyjbs
1 Tequila...2 Tequila...3 Tequila...FLOOR!!
Rendered unconcious by the sight of the Tag Fairy!
Needed a little color!

This is very interesting to me!

Is there a "deductible" with squaretrade? I pay $6 or $7? a month for ins thru verizon on dd's phone (some kind of smart phone). She lost it and I had to pay $75 for a replacement. The original phone only cost $50 when we upgraded the plan! They claim the $75 is well below retail and without insurance it would have cost 3x as much to replace.
Also, is there a claims limit. DD didn't have much luck with her phones and went through 2 or 3 (lost/stolen/broken) in one year. The insurance denied her until the next year yet I still had to continue paying monthly. WTH?

"Never underestimate the power of a group of stupid people!"
* HIFS 10/01 * HIFS 6/04 * RPR 6/04 * RPR 8/07 * Windsor Hills 8/07 *
"It's disney....it's crowded. Get over it & go to Universal!
NCL DAWN! THE BAHAMAS, RCCL EXPLORER! WESTERN & EASTERN CARIBBEAN!
curlyjbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjbs
Is there a "deductible" with squaretrade? I pay $6 or $7? a month for ins thru verizon on dd's phone (some kind of smart phone). She lost it and I had to pay $75 for a replacement. The original phone only cost $50 when we upgraded the plan! They claim the $75 is well below retail and without insurance it would have cost 3x as much to replace.
Also, is there a claims limit. DD didn't have much luck with her phones and went through 2 or 3 (lost/stolen/broken) in one year. The insurance denied her until the next year yet I still had to continue paying monthly. WTH?
I think there is a deductible for phones, but not sure. Other items do not have a deductible. We had an iPod repaired and didn't have a deductible. Not sure on a any limits as we only used the warranty once.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: