Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
Have you given up any foods consciously or unconsciously for your family or another reason?
Yes my family will not eat tuna salad or macaroni salad with celery and onions so I eat them without without.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #32
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I gave up red meat 6 years ago. I can have 3oz a week which is nothing so I might as well not eat it. I have a small portion of red meat once a month as a treat.
3oz is just right for me if I pair it with some sides. Our favorite meal is a little bacon-wrapped 3 ounce filet, marinated in Buckhead marinade, grilled over mesquite. Serve with a baked potato & a salad and that's more than enough for dinner

My wife has tree nut allergies, so I've all but given those up. We also drink 2% milk exclusively (I grew up on 1/2%) and nothing but white bread. I prefer the taste of wheat bread, the grainier the better.
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Diet drinks... I go big or go home on that. I allow myself 1 "regular" soda per day.

Fast Food in general...as tempting as it is, I just don't eat it. I will just go without instead.

I have lost better than 20 lbs in the last year or so, I don't want them back.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
A couple years ago I went on weight watchers as I was gaining 5-10 pounds a year since I turned 30. I eliminated sugar drinks then and have continued that. The only sugar drinks I have will be when I partake in bar drinks. And I used to live off of sweet tea...I so miss that!

I stopped eating Tilapia when my SIL told me what they eat.
What do they eat? I don't know if I want to know the answer to that. But what the heck. I haven't eaten any seafood to speak of in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
When I was pregnant in 1996, I was not aware of this and craved tuna fish...ick! I ate it for lunch, at work, nearly every day for the last 2 trimesters of my pregnancy. What are the risks?
I really can't remember. I was happy to be pregnant and just went with it.
I don't think doctors tell pregnant women that any more. I asked a pregnant friend of mine a couple of years about the restriction and she didn't know anything about it. Then again, I guess doctors recommendations vary too.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #35
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Completely changed my lifestyle a few years back after joining WW, hitting the gym, and losing about 100lbs (and sadly, I'm not even done). There's a lot of stuff I don't touch now. I don't drink soda or juice, I eat very little red meat, no pork, no donuts or candy or snack cakes, and apart from Subway, no fast food. I now have a hard time with foods that are greasy, I usually can't stomach them even if I want to "treat" myself to them. I allow myself whatever I want when I'm at Disney (which is surely why I enjoy dining there so much! ) but often lately I've ordered something and wound up not being able to stomach it. The grilled cheese from Beaches and Cream nearly killed me from its sheer butter content.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #36
leebee
DIS Veteran

There are so many foods I rarely make anymore, because DD and DH don't like them and I am not interested in preparing two meals just because I want something. Some of the foods that I miss so much include:

Winter squash, beets, mushrooms, bread pudding, souffle, ribs, clams, liver and other organ meat (kidney, heart, gizzard), stewed tomatoes, tuna noodle casserole, zucchini, summer squash, beet greens, rice pudding, creamed corn, chinese food appetizers, eggs foo yung, salami, bologna... to name a few.

I TRY not to eat breads, pasta, rice, potato, and any sweets. We don't eat many sweets here... I buy a new 5lb bag of flour and of sugar each year at Thanksgiving and throw out what's left of the bags purchased the previous Thanksgiving! In fact, I made cupcakes for DD's birthday and there's still one left... the cupcakes were made 9/22. (ice cream is another topic entirely!!)
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #37
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
What do they [tilapa] eat? I don't know if I want to know the answer to that. But what the heck. I haven't eaten any seafood to speak of in years.
Supposedly they eat the feces of other fish. But that doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm gonna broil some tilapia intestines for dinner.

Jim
LBIJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #38
KDIPIAZZ
Mouseketeer

I have intolerances/allergies to wheat, corn, soy, shellfish and peanuts. No longer eat processed foods because reading long lists of ingredients became tedious.
I completely gave up all other grains when I became diabetic and saw what even small amounts of "whole grains" did to my blood glucose levels.
KDIPIAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #39
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
Supposedly they eat the feces of other fish. But that doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm gonna broil some tilapia intestines for dinner.

Jim
That reminds me of a co-worker I had years ago telling me about a book she read about meat (including seafood). It was an expose type of book.
I didn't read it, but I do remember her talking about lobsters (and other bottom dwellers) being found near chemical dumping places and stuff like that. She told me you would never eat meat again if you read this book. I was walking through the halls at work trying to get something done and she was following me telling me this stuff. I was listening with half an ear, but I did pretty good to remember what she said.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #40
robinb
DIS Veteran

I gave up eating octopus because they are too darn smart. Seriously.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #41
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
In answer to the OP about what foods have simply fallen off my menu, I'd guess I'd say:

1. Homemade marinara sauce. Neither dh nor dd likes homemade from anyone's kitchen. They like Prego better than any homemade sauce. My dh actually likes Ragu better than homemade. (That declaration made me consider a divorce... J/K. Almost.)

2. Lasagna. Well, it was off the menu for 25+ years bec my dh was convinced he didn't like it. Then I made some for a potluck and he tried it and was shocked to discover he liked it. Turns out when his mother made lasagna she used tomato soup and cottage cheese.

However, neither of those two really matter any more because my doctor has me trying this highly restrictive diet to try and lose this stubborn weight that has heretofore resisted very diet and exercise plan. I've cut out: all breads, all pasta, all rice, all potatoes, most refined sugars. I've lost 7 pounds, which is great, but it's sapped my will to live. It's also sapped my wallet, because fruits and vegetables cost so much money. (Our food bill has doubled.)

In the last 18 months, I've also been unable to eat bacon or green peppers. I don't care about the green peppers, but wow, I miss bacon.
I know this is OT from the original question but I am curious what you feel you will gain from this, if you don't mind answering? If it is highly restrictive and it has sapped your will to live, do you really think you will be able to stick with it for the rest of your life if it helps you to lose those last few pounds? I hope it works for you but I couldn't do it if I was unhappy with my dietary choices.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #42
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

My family is a mess in regards to food.

Daughter, vegeterian, no meat, but doens't like most vegetables, go figure.

Me, lots of fresh green leafy vegetables for the potassium, other than apples no fresh fruit too much sugar in them (in the words of my doctor, instead of a fresh peach, have a candy bar, it has less sugar!!) No pasta, no potatoes.

Mom, no fresh leafy green vegetables, the vitamin K counteracts her blood thinner.

Son, god only knows, he is on a Ketogenic diet.

Wife, hates fresh fruit, loves potatoes and pasta.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #43
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Daughter, vegeterian, no meat, but doens't like most vegetables, go figure.
That's my DD! I call her a "carbotarian".
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #44
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
That's my DD! I call her a "carbotarian".
I'm stealing that term. It soooooooooooooooooooo fits.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #45
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Dead things.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: