Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Sadly onion rings, they are the only food that makes me sick.

Also non diet soda, I'd rather use those calories for beer!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
1Mouse2RulethemAll
Mouseketeer

I don't buy ground beef anymore. I prefer to use ground sausage.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Contemporary-September 2009
Disneyland Hotel-October 2009
Disneyland Hotel-December 2010
Bay Lake Tower/MVMCP-December 2011
1Mouse2RulethemAll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Peanuts/nuts. I don't buy peanut butter or peanut products or anything containing nuts. When I make baked goods that typically have nuts in them (banana bread, cookies) I leave them out.

I developed a peanut/nut allergy as an adult and it makes me horribly ill. My kids hate nuts and my DH doesn't care one way or another so I just stopped buying products that contain peanuts/nuts or buying them to put in foods.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

I gave up tuna because it just makes me feel . At first i thought it was just the oil, so i switched to tuna in water and that was good for awhile but then i started feeling blah agin so i stoped eating it.

Of course giving up the tuna also meant giving up tuna noodle casserol.

I have also cut back the amount of meat i eat, just because i never really liked it anyway even when i was a kid.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

I cut out butter, salad dressings, bread, pastas and all sodas years ago.

After losing weight a few years ago, I have to really watch what I eat.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
ForAandA
Tiggerlicious

About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Giving up bread, pasta, etc has been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life! I am not saying this to whine and moan. I literally went through withdrawel. We do not realize how much stuff has gluten in it until you are no longer to have it.

The headaches have finally subsided. Out of everything, I miss White Castle hamburgers the most .

ForAandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I've stopped eating a lot of foods or food categories. I haven't had a pop in almost ten years (I've had a few rum & cokes but those are extremely rare), don't eat fast food from the burger chains or anything like that, avoid anything with artificial sweeteners or HFCS, white breads/rice, and try to eat very little processed food. If I am going to eat something out of a box I read the ingredients and only put it in the cart if the ingredient list is short and I actually recognize everything listed there.

Over the last ten years I've become very picky about the majority of what I put in my body and while I do have the occasional dessert or burger from good burger places they are rare and I view them as treats. I try to buy local as much as I can and buy grass fed and hormone free beef, free range chicken, wild caught fish, and try to otherwise be smart about what I eat even if it costs a bit more. Fortunately my girlfriend eats just like me so it makes shopping and cooking pretty easy.

Last edited by FireDancer; 10-02-2012 at 03:37 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Most of what I have given up has not been by choice.

I've never been able to eat peanuts (been allergic my whole life)
4 1/2 years ago I had to give up eggs and shellfish b/c I found out I was allergic
3 months ago I had to give up wheat, oats, tree nut, coconut, broccoli, sesame, sunflower seeds because I am now allergic

I also had to give up most raw fruits and vegetables because of oral allergy syndrome. That means I had to give up spinach salads (my favorite) and regular salads. I've also had to give up raw fruit salads.

I have also greatly limited my dairy intake. I only eat straight dairy maybe once a week otherwise the dairy is used for baking. That's because of reflux and lactose intolerance (even though it hasnt helped)

I also started limiting soda about 5 years ago when we found out I am very very sensitive the sodium benzoate (a preservative) that is found in most soda. I do drink 7up because it seems to settle my stomach and I cant drink gingerale

I try not to eat a lot of HFCS but i don't completely restrict it from my diet.

Consequently, because of all of my food allergies, I had to give up fast food. That has made me very very cranky ver the past few months. It's really hard to come to grips with the fact that something you are craving could kill you. I only ate burger king once in a while but it was a treat I craved sometimes and I still crave it buti'm allergic to wheat.

I also had to give up ice cream because of the peanut/tree nut cross contamination issue.

I had to give up Chinese food because of my peanut/treenut/egg allergy

Had to give up my favorite BBQ places because of my peanut allergy because they serve nutty coleslaw

The list could go on and on.....it's ridiculous what I have had to give up...and not by choice

I know that skittls and Swedish fish are bad for me. I know that gluten free cookies aren't great for me. I know that French fries aren't either. But for me, I have had to give up so much that I used to love that I have no problem eating "safe crap" on a regular basis. My cholesterol is great, my insulin level and blood glucose levels are fabulous, and my blood pressure is always excellent. For now, I'm good with the way I eat.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2013); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Old Key West; and Beach Club Villas; Pop Century (2010, 2012)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I gave up soda at least 20 years ago.

I gave up caffiene at least 20 years ago.

I gave up red meat 6 years ago. I can have 3oz a week which is nothing so I might as well not eat it. I have a small portion of red meat once a month as a treat.

I do not eat fried foods of any kind.

I have given up anything with onions, peppers, cooked tomatoes, etc because one of the side effects to my medication is an upset stomach.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

In answer to the OP about what foods have simply fallen off my menu, I'd guess I'd say:

1. Homemade marinara sauce. Neither dh nor dd likes homemade from anyone's kitchen. They like Prego better than any homemade sauce. My dh actually likes Ragu better than homemade. (That declaration made me consider a divorce... J/K. Almost.)

2. Lasagna. Well, it was off the menu for 25+ years bec my dh was convinced he didn't like it. Then I made some for a potluck and he tried it and was shocked to discover he liked it. Turns out when his mother made lasagna she used tomato soup and cottage cheese.

However, neither of those two really matter any more because my doctor has me trying this highly restrictive diet to try and lose this stubborn weight that has heretofore resisted very diet and exercise plan. I've cut out: all breads, all pasta, all rice, all potatoes, most refined sugars. I've lost 7 pounds, which is great, but it's sapped my will to live. It's also sapped my wallet, because fruits and vegetables cost so much money. (Our food bill has doubled.)

In the last 18 months, I've also been unable to eat bacon or green peppers. I don't care about the green peppers, but wow, I miss bacon.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

The only thing I've given up on totally (and not just because I'm' expecting), is Red Wine. It gives me migraines no matter what. Stinks because I love it!

pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Mandychelle79
DIS Veteran

Just like I do not allow my food preferences to dictate what I make for my family, I do not allow their food preferences to dictate what I make either. I just accommodate. For example, if I want sauerkraut and pork, I make everything separate and who ever wants it gets it.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Pembo
OH-IO

I gave up ice cream, I type as my son eats a big bowl of it.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Hmm, there are lots of food I don't make often, mainly due to the kids, and they were never my favs anyway so it wasn't a hardship.

Meatloaf, tuna anything, seafood - those are the first that come to mind

I can't eat Kraft mac & cheese with tuna or hot dogs because that just gives me flashbacks from my broke college days.

If we really want something, I'll make it and revise it, separate it out for those that dislike it.

I have voluntarily cut out most red meat because I just don't feel great after eating it. I still love junk food and soda although I should cut those out.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I gave up regular soft drinks, mayo, almost all bread, rice and potatoes and salt except occasionally. That's a good start but I have more to do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: