Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Foods you have essentially "given up"

Before I get pounced on for being an food extremist, let me qualify. I was having a conversation with one of the kids today about foods I like and it dawned on me some of the foods that have just dropped off of my radar because I'm the only one in the family that likes it. I just got out of the habit of buying certain things because it's either not practical or it's one of those foods you only like once in a blue moon and that moon has not come around in a long while.

Some of the things started off with not being able to have during pregnancy and then morphed into I'm the only one that likes it in the whole family like:

1. Seafood
2. Tuna (I separated that because that was my all time favorite sandwich since I was a kid)
------------

3. (a pot of) beans for dinner cooked with ham

My DH never heard of cooking a pot of beans for dinner before we met. I was shocked. But he isn't big on that at all. Neither are the kids. So it's just a waste for me to cook that many beans for just me.

I'm sure there are more foods but that is all that comes to mind for me, now.

It was kind of funny to realize how long it had been since I had had some of those foods!

Have you given up any foods consciously or unconsciously for your family or another reason?

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
violetrose
DIS Veteran

We all gave up soft drinks a few years ago. I just decided we didn't need the extra calories. DH grew up on white bread, I had to train him to eat whole wheat. That was not an easy feat but now we all eat whole wheat bread. Other than those 2 things, nothing. It is a good thing we are all naturally fairly small/slim individuals because dieting is not easy for our family. I did lose 30 pounds about 5 years ago and managed to keep it off. That year of losing that weight was the hardest year of my life!

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
Before I get pounced on for being an food extremist, let me qualify. I was having a conversation with one of the kids today about foods I like and it dawned on me some of the foods that have just dropped off of my radar because I'm the only one in the family that likes it. I just got out of the habit of buying certain things because it's either not practical or it's one of those foods you only like once in a blue moon and that moon has not come around in a long while.

Some of the things started off with not being able to have during pregnancy and then morphed into I'm the only one that likes it in the whole family like:

1. Seafood
2. Tuna (I separated that because that was my all time favorite sandwich since I was a kid)
------------

3. (a pot of) beans for dinner cooked with ham

My DH never heard of cooking a pot of beans for dinner before we met. I was shocked. But he isn't big on that at all. Neither are the kids. So it's just a waste for me to cook that many beans for just me.

I'm sure there are more foods but that is all that comes to mind for me, now.

It was kind of funny to realize how long it had been since I had had some of those foods!

Have you given up any foods consciously or unconsciously for your family or another reason?
Well for starters I am eating a tuna fish sandwich for lunch right now and yes I am the only one that eats them. I did not give anything up because I was the only one who ate it.

Now I did give up a ton of food for reflux reasons or health reasons. I love calf's liver however organ meats are not the healthiest things to eat. And FRIED chicken, fish, shrimp, etc....Used to make those all the time. Not anymore, although I do make fried catfish from time to time. It is a mess but OH so good.

I am giving up soda starting TODAY but that is to lose weight and for health reasons.

Bean soup gives me reflux. (insert crying smilie) And pea soup. Plus wine, lemon lime drinks, and a ton of other foods.

My mom cooks from scratch so at one time or another my dh has been exposed to many foods from my family.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetrose View Post
We all gave up soft drinks a few years ago. I just decided we didn't need the extra calories. DH grew up on white bread, I had to train him to eat whole wheat. That was not an easy feat but now we all eat whole wheat bread. Other than those 2 things, nothing. It is a good thing we are all naturally fairly small/slim individuals because dieting is not easy for our family. I did lose 30 pounds about 5 years ago and managed to keep it off. That year of losing that weight was the hardest year of my life!
Good for you loosing those pounds!

I forgot we have given up soft drinks too. Not completely. We will have an occasional one with a pizza or I'll give the kids a ginger ale when they are sickish. But we don't drink it routinely basically for the same reason you stated. We didn't need the extra calories or sugar. And the funny thing is soda doesn't quench thirst like water does. At least not to me.

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Well for starters I am eating a tuna fish sandwich for lunch and yes I am the only one that eats them. I did not give anything up because I was the only one who ate it.

Now I did give up a ton of food for reflux reasons or health reasons. I love calf's liver however organ meats are not the healthiest things to eat. And FRIED chicken, fish, shrimp, etc....Used to make those all the time. Not anymore, although I do make fried catfish from time to time. It is a mess but OH so good.

I am giving up soda starting TODAY but that is to lose weight and for health reasons.

Bean soup gives me reflux. (insert crying smilie) And pea soup. Plus wine, lemon lime drinks, and a ton of other foods.

My mom cooks from scratch so at one time or another my dh has been exposed to many foods from my family.
Maybe my tastes changed some too. I don't know. I haven't really missed those things till I said to myself, "When was the last time I had that?". I don't order tuna out because I'd rather make it myself. Now you have me wanting some.

ETA: I had a bout of acid reflux too. It was awful. Every now and then when I eat a tomato based or spicy dish it happens. But it kinda went away for the most part. I do know it's a trial when you are dealing with it. I just use Tums now and then and that takes care of it.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I drink diet sodas, but never something with sugar (e.g., regular Coke.) They are just too sweet; make my teeth ache.

We no longer eat anything with HFCS but that's a conscious decision, not so much a "dropped off my radar" situation.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe my tastes changed some too. I don't know. I haven't really missed those things till I said to myself, "When was the last time I had that?". I don't order tuna out because I'd rather make it myself. Now you have me wanting some.
LOL.

I have to actually monitor my "tuna fish eating". I think you are only supposed to have so many cans of tuna in a certain time period because of heavy metals or something along those lines.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
LOL.

I have to actually monitor my "tuna fish eating". I think you are only supposed to have so many cans of tuna in a certain time period because of heavy metals or something along those lines.
Yeah. That's about what they said when I was pregnant. No tuna because of the mercury I believe it was.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

I've given up shellfish. I didn't want to, but DW is allergic to them, and it has gotten worse over the years. It's bad enough that there are now restaurants at WDW that are off-limits entirely.

She's also allergic to bananas, cucumbers and melons, but not so much that they cannot be in the house.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

A couple years ago I went on weight watchers as I was gaining 5-10 pounds a year since I turned 30. I eliminated sugar drinks then and have continued that. The only sugar drinks I have will be when I partake in bar drinks. And I used to live off of sweet tea...I so miss that!

I stopped eating Tilapia when my SIL told me what they eat.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

If I really sat and thought about it the list would be long. Just off the top of my head:
Anything with HFCS
Anything with low-cal fake sweeteners
Anything with trans fats
Some non-organic products (not feasible to go all organic though I would love to).
Ham (just grosses me out)
Most red meat, will have a filet mignon once in a blue moon
Most non-shell fish as DH doesn't like it. I'll order it out.
I'll stop at that.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Well, I don't drink sugared drinks because they are absolutely empty calories, but I do love my Diet Coke (elixir of life...). It helps that sugared drinks taste sickly, disgustingly sweet.

I have pretty much given up any type of cooked tomatoes. I can do salsa like there is no tomorrow and suffer no ill effects, but even a basic tomato sauce like spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce causes reflux. The bonus is that now I really don't eat pasta anymore because of this (pasta is another refined carb...).

RE: White vs. wheat bread. Most commercial wheat breads aren't any better than commercial white breads, read your labels!
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah. That's about what they said when I was pregnant. No tuna because of the mercury I believe it was.
When I was pregnant in 1996, I was not aware of this and craved tuna fish...ick! I ate it for lunch, at work, nearly every day for the last 2 trimesters of my pregnancy. What are the risks?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

OP...you were referring to foods we've had to give up because our other family members don't like or won't eat? If so, here is my list:

1- Beef...DH prefers poultry and fish as it's healthier
2- when DH is on Atkins (which is often and usually at the worst times like right before a holiday or vacation) I have to cut down on carbs and that is HARD
3- any kind of recipes with onions/celery/other chopped veges...my girls won't eat. I use a lot of celery and onion salt/powder...boo!
3- meatloaf (not too big of a loss)
4- french toast...nobody really likes it but me
5- real beef burgers...DH and my girls prefer turkey...ick!

This is at home...I order these things when I go out. My girls don't like tomato sauced things or ground beef things (Chili, spaghetti, chicken parm) but I make it anyway and they find something else to eat. DH is not big on pasta, but I make it anyway (I LOVE my pasta). I love DS-15...he eats ANYTHING! My girls won't eat jelly (just PB sandwiches) or grilled cheese either and I find this strange. None of my kids are big on ketchup either and will eat fries plain or with other dipping sauces and the prefer fruity candy to chocolate...whose children are they.

You know I just hate cooking...it's way too difficult to please everyone. And OP, I grew up on hot dogs and beans...my family doesn't do that either, but it's ok because I am all hot dogged out.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 10-02-2012 at 01:48 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Kae
DIS Veteran

Doughnuts, the Local place that had the best ones closed a few years back & I don't like any other ones-even krispykreme I eat one & I am like that was ok. but I would kill for one of a Dixie Cream pumpkin one right now.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: