Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
My2QTs
DIS Veteran

Tangieine Cafe...Sell Me On It!!

I keep seeing posts about ppl saying how great this is as a CS and some even saying its better than most TS. I looked at the menu and I dont even know what most of the stuff is, let alone tasted it before. But I dont wanna be narrow minded and not try something I might end up loving. So...tell me...

whats so great about it?
if i have never eaten that type of food, will i still like it?
whats good for a dessert option?

I know its hard to say what someone else might like, but I guess I wondering if you kinda have to have a taste for this type of food, or might it be one of those things that a lot of ppl would love if they just tried it. hope this makes sense.
My2QTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I love Tangierine Cafe and think its better than many of WDW's table service places.

I am an adventurous eater. I have traveled to many foreign countries and have eaten some interesting things. You won't know if you like things until you have tried them.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We had the lamb and chicken Shawarma platter twice last year.

The meat is marinated in some spices but is not "spicy". It has a great taste.

Couscous is actually bulgur, a type of cereal, like rice or quinoa, so it is bland on it's own. However, they add a dressing and some raisins, chick peas, and peppers, I think. Hummus is basically purred chick peas with some garlic, sesame butter and a little lemon. It's great as a dipping sauce. The bread is quite basic, not pita which is more authentic. Finally tabouleh is a parsley salad with a little tomato, onions, lemon juice.

Personally, I don't find it very exotic, if you have Lebanese fast foods near you, this is about the same thing, but it's fresh, different and tasty. The spices are not overpowering. It's a great option to discover new food.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Art 1
DIS Veteran

I like it and eat there often. I don't think that anyone can really answer a your questions. Try it. It's only maybe $12 a plate. It you don't like it no big loss.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

Do you like gyros? Then try the combo platter. Similar. I've been looking all over (tv, internet) for a similar style of couscous. I really liked it. Pretty much the whole platter was great. I'm not a fan of hummus though. A lot of bang for your buck, no doubt. I didn't get dessert but I hear their baklava is good.
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I absolutely fell in love with the chicken shawarma. Lamb was delicious as well, and I always love hummus! It was great and I'd love to eat there again.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

And DH and I usually fight over the Baklava. MMgood.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Quin
DIS Veteran

OP: unless you are traveling alone, one of the really fun things you can do at Epcot is to get a single meal at one country's CS and everyone samples some, then move along to another country and get a different meal, then go someplace else and sample yet another cuisine, etc. That way if turns out the items do NOT appeal, the entire family has not "wasted" their $/meal credits on food they didn't like. You just move on to the next country and try again!

And at Epcot, unless one party member is having a total meltdown and needs chicken nuggets NOW, I think the whole point is to try foods that are outside your normal experience. I'm always sad to see someone report back here that they ate XYZ at WDW and it is better/bigger/cheaper at home. If you can get it at home, why travel hundreds or thousands of miles to eat it at WDW?

Bottom line: try it. You might not like it, but at least then you can speak from knowledge rather than guessing.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
whats so great about it?
iron man and the avengers like shawarma. 'nuff said.

Quote:
if i have never eaten that type of food, will i still like it?
everyone has different tastes. so maybe. maybe not.

my guess is that you might like some of the flavors on your plate but not others.

Quote:
whats good for a dessert option?
i actually like hiking over to france for a dessert...but that's the fun thing about epcot.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
DEA
DIS Veteran

I have always found the food there to be well prepared, delicious, and with a welcome different flavor from other things in the park. Everything I've had there is good; I usually end up getting the vegetable platter. It's a fairly innocuous combination. The only place I really see you getting into trouble is ordering the optional harissa on the kefta sandwich. It will be a spice that is fairly foreign and a little on the hot side.

The sliders combo would let you try a few different things to see what you like there. Then you can focus on those things if you decide to go back. The plates are pretty big, so you could even share it. I always end up with my daughters eating more of my couscous than I do.

For dessert, I like to head back to the coffee bar, where they have 3 different kinds of baklava. Most places that serve baklava have the walnut version, but I like the pistachio version and the cashew version better. If you like either of those nuts, I recommend that type of baklava.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I like the meats and I love hummus. I normally love cous cous but I dont like it cold so I dont like theirs. I didnt like the tabouli either. If you like gyros you would probably like it.

I'm with the pp who said get a platter and share it, then move onto another country to sample something else. You can't skip the France bakery for sure!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I haven't had it at the Tangierine, but as far as dessert goes I've never met a baklava I didn't like. It's layers of thin, flaky pastry baked with honey or sugar syrup and some kind of nuts.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

I really love it, especially when it's not busy and it's a beautiful day. I could sit in the patio area all day! I've only had the schwarma platters every time I go (and baklava), but they're always tasty and plentiful. Unfortunately, my fiance is not a fan (he doesn't like the food, he had the Kefta sandwich and some of my food) and I think my times of eating here are numbered (unless we pick him up something to eat before we get there... ).
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
nansmama
DIS Veteran

Tangierine Cafe is our favorite too. The food isn't wildly exotic, but it does resemble what we eat at home--couscous, hummus, tabbouleh, etc. If you are a strict burger-nuggets-pizza person, the food may be outside of your comfort range, so just go in with that in mind.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

I think the food at Tangierine Cafe is basically Lebanese - which is considered to be the best food in the Middle East. I lived in Jordan and it is basically the same. The mainstays of Lebanese food are hummus, taboule (chopped parsley with lemon juice, garlic and a little bulghur), and other appetizers like babaganoush and then roasted meats like kabobs and falafel - a fried patty made with fava beans and or chick peas (like a hush puppy) - often eaten at breakfast as it is a complete protein. I don't know if you'd like it - but it is worth a try.

I would recommend the swarma platter - chicken and lamb combo that way you can try both and it comes with hummus, taboule and couscous. It is definitely big enough for two people in my mind - but I don't have a problem finishing one for just myself.

Anyway - hope you like it - it is counter service but a little bit more satisfying for me than the average counter service.

For desert they have baklava - super sweet but a favorite of many - I don't much eat it but that is because it is served at almost every restaurant, hotel buffet in the Middle East and after 9 years living in the area - I have eaten a whole LOT of it. But certainly if you haven't eaten much of it - it is a treat!

Another plus for Tangierine is the ambiance - try to go when "MoRockin" is playing - it is even better.

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: