Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #91
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
I believe it's called hyperbole.

As in, "the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally."

For example, "Gawd, I'm so embarrassed, I could just die!" does not mean the speaker is at imminent risk of suicide and should be taken into immediate custody for her own safety.

I don't believe anyone honestly thinks the poster in question truly wants to see anyone die in a fiery crash, much less his local newscasters.
Or some people refer to it as being tactless.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #92
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quiet frankly (general Frank(ly) I found what Firedancer wrote much more disturbing than what the lawyer wrote.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #93
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Exactly. Hyperbole is my favorite rhetorical device. I don't want to see anyone (ok, almost anyone as anyone who remembers my Penn State stance can attest to) die in a bus crash. I never said I did. I said that I wouldn't miss them if they were all gone and I wouldn't. I wouldn't miss a lot of people who end up gone. But the bus crash was just hyperbole.

Anyway, the cometary on my value of local anchors was all just a throw away of the actual meaning of my post that addressed someone else mentioning that the anchor set an example or that people perceive her to be setting an example. No job what so ever makes anyone a role model on it's own.
Really?? So all of this stuff you have been posting over the years has been hyperbole? Those comments about speaking your mind, telling it the way it is, and not apologizing for your opinion........was that hyperbole, too?

Now you really disappoint me (not that you care, nor do I blame you). But if there was one thing I could always count on from you, it was speaking your mind no matter who you offended or how tacky it was. Now you are claiming it is hyperbole? Okay, then.....
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #94
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
You want to have some real fun watch what happens when the teleprompter breaks and they have to actually think of their own words on the fly and have some sort of meaningful interaction that isn't scripted. You know, like normal human beings. Feel free to substitute politicians for news anchors and it is the same thing. Both are pretty low on my list of favorite people as a group.
Actually, I'm rather fond of our local newscasters. They get up there on TV every day for us to mock them, and they do it with a smile (most of the time).

Yes, they're incompetent and hilarious, and you're absolutely right - there's nothing like the entertainment of watching them try to come up with words of their own.

But it's a job, and not a particularly fun one. They're in the bush leagues of journalism, and they know it. They didn't go to journalism school to end up reading the news on Sunday nights at 11pm, on local access TV. Yet despite that, they are all very active in community events and charity fundraising. They're dedicated to working for their town.

If I wasn't getting entertainment out of watching them, I wouldn't watch. Especially in this day and age, I don't need to watch TV to get my news.

Politicians are waaaaay lower on my list than newscasters.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #95
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Good for you, I guess.

If he had made a comment that a bus full of child molesters went over a cliff and he would miss the bus more, I'd applaud his statement.

These aren't child molesters. These are hard working people doing their job. It may be an easy job (simply reading a teleprompter) or it may be more difficult (actual journalism). But that is irrelevant. They are human beings simply doing a job. They are contributing to society just like a cashier at Dairy Queen, the CEO of a company, or an IT person. To make a comment stating that they are basically worthless humans on this planet and a bus is more important than they are is pathetic. But if that floats your boat, too, congrats.
How would you feel if he said a bus full of lawyers like the one that wrote that email?

Sorry I couldn't resist.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #96
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Really?? So all of this stuff you have been posting over the years has been hyperbole? Those comments about speaking your mind, telling it the way it is, and not apologizing for your opinion........was that hyperbole, too?

Now you really disappoint me (not that you care, nor do I blame you). But if there was one thing I could always count on from you, it was speaking your mind no matter who you offended or how tacky it was. Now you are claiming it is hyperbole? Okay, then.....
Hyperbole and honesty are not mutually exclusive.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #97
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Well, for most people obesity is a choice. Not an easy choice (hey, I'm a fat chick too, with a terrible metabolism to boot... I know from experience that not everyone has the same road to weight loss) but a choice nonetheless. I wake up each morning and make the choice that being overweight but active is currently more acceptable to me than going to extremes to lose the weight (and that's what it takes for me to be a healthy weight - not just moderation - so I do understand that not every heavy person is gorging on Twinkies and Cheetos all day long).

Again, I didn't see the mean/hurtful tone many are assigning to his e-mail. She's in a position where if she did make lifestyle changes and lose weight, she could reach a lot of people. I don't think he was telling her to quit her job; I think he was (stupidly and tactlessly) encouraging her to become a more positive role model by making healthier choices and embracing the work involved in maintaining a normal weight.

No, I don't. I think people are understandably sensitive about weight because it is truly one of the last accepted/tolerated prejudices, but that shouldn't be reason enough to make the subject a social taboo.
While I do see staying overweight as a choice, in some ways, I think that people like the lawyer have no idea what that choice is about. It takes determination, will power, TIME and a change in not only the person's lifestyle but that of their family (especially when we are talking about a wife and mother) to make the changes necessary to lose weight and keep it off. There are numerous road blocks in that choice and those are hard for a lot of people to overcome.

As for the intention of the email being hurtful, if he did not realize that it would be hurtful to her; then he is a bigger idiot than first thought. Of course it is hurtful to ANYONE when told that their appearance is not acceptable. It is not his place (or anyone's for that matter) to tell this woman that she should change her lifestyle or the way she looks.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #98
LisaR

Quote:
Hyperbole and honesty are not mutually exclusive.
But excuses are always excuses.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #99
Sanchez
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Now you are just being melodramatic. It is hard to believe that Frank's statement about newscasters is upsetting you (and others)so much. I understand that you do not care for his willingness to openly share his opinions on obesity but bringing this red herring to the forefront does nothing to support your position.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #100
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
Quiet frankly (general Frank(ly) I found what Firedancer wrote much more disturbing than what the lawyer wrote.
Me, I am always far more disturbed by sincere arrogance and presumption, than by exaggeration and hyperbole.

I do not believe Firedancer desires the actual physical death of anyone (except maybe certain child rapists and sadistic serial killers... I can't recall if he's pro-death penalty or not). I have trouble believing any rational person believes this to be true, but if you do, then I sympathize with your fear and horror. It must be rough to share a message board with someone you believe is a conscienceless psychopath.

As for the lawyer in the OP - he was speaking honestly. That's what made his words disturbing to me. The idea that he thought he had the right! He's not her father, and it wouldn't be acceptable even if he was. What did he expect her to do? Quit on the spot, so she wouldn't be a bad role model any more? Hide herself under a burka so she doesn't offend his eyes? Did he think she'd read his e-mail, and say, "Oh my gosh, he's right! I'm fat! I need to change my slothful, gluttonous ways right now!" It just boggles the imagination.

And can you imagine what a terrible lawyer and/or husband he must be, if he regularly behaves in this kind of high-handed manner?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #101
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You want to have some real fun watch what happens when the teleprompter breaks and they have to actually think of their own words on the fly and have some sort of meaningful interaction that isn't scripted. You know, like normal human beings. Feel free to substitute politicians for news anchors and it is the same thing. Both are pretty low on my list of favorite people as a group.
That's why they have paper scripts in front of them.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #102
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
That's why they have paper scripts in front of them.
Sometimes they don't, or they have trouble finding their place. I've seen it happen!

My favourite was when one just started giggling and that was it. The guy kept looking in the camera saying, "I'm sorry, we're having technical difficulties," and the woman had her forehead on the desk, laughing.

Bu the time it cut to commercial, we were all laughing! It was a sad day for journalism...
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #103
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Me, I am always far more disturbed by sincere arrogance and presumption, than by exaggeration and hyperbole.

I do not believe Firedancer desires the actual physical death of anyone (except maybe certain child rapists and sadistic serial killers... I can't recall if he's pro-death penalty or not). I have trouble believing any rational person believes this to be true, but if you do, then I sympathize with your fear and horror. It must be rough to share a message board with someone you believe is a conscienceless psychopath.

As for the lawyer in the OP - he was speaking honestly. That's what made his words disturbing to me. The idea that he thought he had the right! He's not her father, and it wouldn't be acceptable even if he was. What did he expect her to do? Quit on the spot, so she wouldn't be a bad role model any more? Hide herself under a burka so she doesn't offend his eyes? Did he think she'd read his e-mail, and say, "Oh my gosh, he's right! I'm fat! I need to change my slothful, gluttonous ways right now!" It just boggles the imagination.

And can you imagine what a terrible lawyer and/or husband he must be, if he regularly behaves in this kind of high-handed manner?
No, I cannot imagine what a terrible lawyer or husband he must be based on the ridiculous email that he wrote. I simply have no idea. Nor do you.

But in this society calling someone fat is worse than admitting that you would miss the bus more than the newscaster if they went over a cliff? A person can say almost anything at all derogatory about someone else as long as you don't talk about their weight. It is becoming a protected class. I think we have our priorities mixed up. That said I was not offended by any of the statements Firedancer made, just saying, if you are going to be offended, I don't see a contest.

I would also say that there are some very intelligent anchors here in Toronto, as I'm sure elsewhere. Of course, there are incompetent (as well as competent) teachers, lawyers, police officers, fire fighters, builders, secretaries, painters etc. Not sure why Firedancer wants to lump the whole group as one.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep defending Firedancer when he is more than capable of speaking for himself.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #104
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Now you are just being melodramatic. It is hard to believe that Frank's statement about newscasters is upsetting you (and others)so much. I understand that you do not care for his willingness to openly share his opinions on obesity but bringing this red herring to the forefront does nothing to support your position.
You couldn't be more wrong. I actually agree with him 99% of the time regarding obesity. I'd phrase things a little more politically correct than he does but, as stated, I've always given him props for saying it the way he feels.

This has nothing to do with his opinion on obesity. He hasn't posted anything on this thread that I haven't agreed with except an irrelevant, rude, tacky comment about all newscasters. I get not thinking they are "all that." I get thinking their job isn't much more than glorified teleprompter readers (and I think that is true for the vast majority) but the comment was over the top even for him. And no, I don't know a single person that is a newscaster.

Anyway, I am in a pissy mood and he definitely hit a nerve. I thought it was uncalled for and not at all fitting or meaningful to the discussion. I'm off to yoga class now. I'm thinking kickboxing would have been the better class for me tonight.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #105
Magpie

Quote:
No, I cannot imagine what a terrible lawyer or husband he must be based on the ridiculous email that he wrote. I simply have no idea. Nor do you.
I know that anyone who talked to ME like that would not be someone I would tolerate in my life. I'm only 135lbs, but I'd react the same if he criticized the way I dress, and told me I was a bad role model to my children.

If you would, that's your choice. But me, I actually dumped my first boyfriend when he started trying to tell me what to wear and how to style my hair to look "better". My next boyfriend told me he thought I'd be sexy in a burlap sack for all he cared, and then asked, why bother with the makeup? I married him! We've been together 21 years now.

Quote:
But in this society calling someone fat is worse than admitting that you would miss the bus more than the newscaster if they went over a cliff? A person can say almost anything at all derogatory about someone else as long as you don't talk about their weight. It is becoming a protected class. I think we have our priorities mixed up. That said I was not offended by any of the statements Firedancer made, just saying, if you are going to be offended, I don't see a contest.
I see it as a broader issue. In this society it's rude and presumptuous to tell other people how they should look. It's especially rude when it's a man, telling a woman, how she should present herself to the public and then tossing in a "think of the children!" for good measure.

Yes, it's worse unless you are the kind of person who actually takes everything people say or write literally. In which case... don't watch the Colbert Report. It'll make you weep for humanity.

Quote:
I would also say that there are some very intelligent anchors here in Toronto, as I'm sure elsewhere. Of course, there are incompetent (as well as competent) teachers, lawyers, police officers, fire fighters, builders, secretaries, painters etc. Not sure why Firedancer wants to lump the whole group as one.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep defending Firedancer when he is more than capable of speaking for himself.
I'm sure he is, but this is a public board and the debate interests me, especially the idea that anyone really thinks that Firedancer literally wants to see innocent people die.

Come to think of it, the other day I said sarcastically (in reference to a bug invasion, thankfully not in MY home), "I for one, welcome our new insect overlords!"

My gosh, I'm a monster, ready to hand over the entire human race to insect tyranny!

Wait... now that I've said that, does that mean I really am?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: