Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #46
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetrose View Post
I don't know Frank but the person you quoted sounds pretty smug. I don't know anything about Jennifer but her rebuttal to that rude email was classy. And yes, it is bullying when someone tries to belittle another. She was hurt, it was written all over her face. Why do people use so much time being mean? Was it really necessary that this grown man write this woman he says he doesn't even watch to tell he she's too fat?
Sorry, Frank is FireDancer.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #47
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

I think it is wonderful that she took a negative toward her and turned it into a way to get a message out to kids and parents.

If the person who sent the email thought he needed to "inform her" that she is overweight then he is an idiot and I would be scared of him being my lawyer. Everyone that is overweight is well aware of that fact and they know why they are overweight (even if they don't want to admit it out loud). They do not need anyone telling them about it or what to do about it.

I would rather my child have a successful, well respected, well spoken overweight woman as her role model than a "thin" lawyer that doesn't have the good sense God gave him to figure out how to speak to a person with respect.

HE may not have been being a bully but emails like his that go from one kid to another and keep going, and other kids get in on sending the emails--THAT is bullying, and she used what happened to her to teach a lesson to kids and that is a good thing, no matter what you want to call it.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #48
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I agree. And I don't think the bully label is accurately applied here - it really doesn't read to me like he intended to be hurtful. Bullying, in my opinion, is intentional meanness. Not a blanket term for any and all criticism that can hurt someone's feelings.
You don't think he intended to be hurtful?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #49
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
If the email was sent to Jennifer@tvstation.com, it is the legal property of the station. There is no expectation of personal privacy in anything that is sent to a business even if it is sent to a specific individual at the firm. Sorry but that's just the way it is. Using the company computer, the company email and the company internet access makes the email the property of the company. If he sent it to a personal gmail account, that would be different. Sorry but the station owns that email. The lawyer that sent that email should know that.
I never said anything about not having the legal right to publically post the email. I simply stated it was a person to person email. In my opinion, a person to person email receives a person to person response, not a 5 minute public response on a news broadcast. Again, just my opinion. Frankly, I am a bit tired of having to repeat myself and my posts getting dissected, so I am out of this discussion. My last comment is this...

The lawyer was out of line, the husband has a warped way of standing up for his wife, and I do not believe personal issues should be aired in that manner. Those are my opinions, and I have not asked anyone to agree with me, nor have I discounted what anyone else has stated. God bless.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Actually, as a lawyer, the gentleman should have known that nothing you send via e-mail is private. E-mails are public. The ethics of sharing them can be debated, but as these two people were strangers to each other the man is a fool if he believed the lady would keep it to herself. In fact, once an e-mail is in the hands of the recipient is it hers to do with as she wishes. Or in this case, her husband's.

From Consumer.findlaw.com : "The best advice is to treat every email as though it were open to the public to read. Don't say things you don't want others to read, and remember that even after you've deleted your emails, they will be available for years from other sources."

In my opinion, anyone with that level of supreme arrogance and presumption, coupled with either impulse control issues or sad lack of judgement, is probably not half as good a lawyer or family man as he could be if he were taken down a peg or two. I hope he's learned a lesson from all this. And I hope he's grateful to her and her husband for not sharing his name publicly, as they easily could have done.

Perhaps an apology and a thank you note are now in order? That'd be the classy thing to do.
Yes, exactly. I'm pretty sure privilege, and when there is a lack thereof, was covered on the first day of law school for me. Personally, I like to see bullies and jerks get their comeuppance, so I have no issues with her sharing it! She handled it well, in my opinion.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Wow. Nice of you to demean someone's job like that without even knowing her. And I guess you are the typical IT nerd who works with computers because he can't work with people.

Is obesity a problem in this country? Yes
Are emails demeaning someone the answer? No
Actually in my position I deal as much with people as machines but I guess it depends on what you mean by typical IT nerd. I like computers and all and can hold my own in just about any conversation outside of hard core coding but I don't go home and sit on one or play video games all day. I am athletic and play a multitude or sports (both team and individual), have a few hobbies (none of which involve electronics), belong to a lot of professional and civic social groups, and travel quite a bit. You'll have to tell me if that is typical IT nerd.

And as I predicted in my original post what I said has been completely twisted. Not only did I not say that the email was the answer but said "It is crass and rude and shouldn't be sent" which is pretty much the exact opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
He said she made the CHOICE to be obese. I'm guessing that wasn't her choice.
For most people their health and weight is a choice and medical conditions causing obesity are the exception, not the rule. Of course this particular woman may be one of those exceptions but I'm not talking about her specifically, I'm talking about the population as a whole. I still wear the same size pants I did when I graduated high school and you can see my abs. That isn't a happenstance of nature, it is a result of the lifestyle I choose to live just as it is with the vast majority of us. Personally I see a lot of mis-placed anger over the whole obesity issue in this country as though it is the people who care about the health of our population (and children in particular) are wrong because we don't accept the falsity that the problem is out of our collective hands. But that is a topic for another thread which, of course, would just be closed here because we can't talk about this real and deadly problem like adults.

Last edited by FireDancer; 10-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #52
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Wow. Nice of you to demean someone's job like that without even knowing her. And I guess you are the typical IT nerd who works with computers because he can't work with people.
Holy Irony Batman!
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #53
2girls4me
DIS Veteran

I think she went out of her way not to name names. And that is admirable. Good for,her for standing up to the bully and for standing up for her little girls.

DH:

DD (3):

DD (6 months):
2girls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #54
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
As far as I know, his name has not been released, unfortunately.
His name is out there. I was reading some of the comments below the story that is on her news website. Some viewers/readers have posted his name.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #55
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I agree. And I don't think the bully label is accurately applied here - it really doesn't read to me like he intended to be hurtful. Bullying, in my opinion, is intentional meanness. Not a blanket term for any and all criticism that can hurt someone's feelings.
. I do not think the newscaster ever said she was being bullied.
she did say her feelings were hurt.... And pointed out that if parents call people names at home their children will learn that it is ok to do so... And they may bully others....

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #56
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
His name is out there. I was reading some of the comments below the story that is on her news website. Some viewers/readers have posted his name.
Yes, it is. But the station has not released it.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #57
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Holy Irony Batman!
I guess you didn't see the sarcasm on my part? I was simply saying that as an example of what he had just done.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #58
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I don't understand why his name is not out there, OUT THERE.

Why is he being protected? Bullies and people who intend to cause harm should be called out.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #59
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I never said anything about not having the legal right to publically post the email. I simply stated it was a person to person email. In my opinion, a person to person email receives a person to person response, not a 5 minute public response on a news broadcast. Again, just my opinion. Frankly, I am a bit tired of having to repeat myself and my posts getting dissected, so I am out of this discussion. My last comment is this...

The lawyer was out of line, the husband has a warped way of standing up for his wife, and I do not believe personal issues should be aired in that manner. Those are my opinions, and I have not asked anyone to agree with me, nor have I discounted what anyone else has stated. God bless.
I know what you are saying and completely agree. While there is no legal expectation of privacy if I send personal emails to personal addresses (even on corporate domains) I expect them to be and stay private. That doesn't mean they can't be made public legally and anyone should be smart enough to know that any email, no matter how private, can be made public but I agree that an email addressed to me personally that doesn't contain anything illegal or threatening will remain private.

I'm still not seeing the bullying either.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #60
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post

The most important thing to remember from all this is that not everyone shares your own personal beliefs around email etiquette.

So though you may believe that a personal email deserves a personal response, the person you're sending it to may not agree. Which is a lesson to all of us to think twice about what we're saying. Would you say it in public? No? Then don't send it. Save that discussion for when you're face to face, and there are no recording devices nearby.

For example: Lawyer walks up to Jennifer, "Hey, lady, your physical condition is appalling! I want you to think about what a bad role model you are, especially for girls!"

Jennifer: "Who the hell are you???"

As for the husband, I don't think there's anything "warped" about him posting the e-mail at all. The man was angry and wanted to vent, which seems to me a perfectly healthy and normal response in a loving husband. Would a less "warped" response have been to track the guy down and punch him in the nose for insulting his wife? That'd certainly have the personal touch missing in a Facebook post! I'm curious what you'd have considered a "non-warped" response on the husband's part.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: