Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Guy was a moron. It was a private email. You hit delete an move on. News should not be about personal issues with viewers. She gave this clown 15 minutes of fame. I'm all for a story about bullying, but I don't think this was the appropriate way to do it.
I disagree with you, Smitch. I think this is entirely appropriate for airing and think they (she) handled it in a very thoughtful, professional manner. What she points out is very true - people think it's okay to make statements like this (don't we sometimes see hurtful things said on this board?). She did say she was willing to let it go, but her husband and co-workers are the ones who stood up for her.

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
Hope his name is known all over town and his business goes down in flames.

He is doing nothing but promoting that image that you have to be thin to be pretty or liked. That she is not good enough to be on the news because she is overweight. Who made him judge and jury? Glad he got blasted on the news and apparently all over facebook.
This is really no better than his attitude towards her IMO.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I would be interested in knowing more about Mr. Healthy Attorney who wrote the letter. No doubt, he is a true physical specimen who is in perfect condition. Likely always walks, runs, or bikes to work. I'm sure he spends his weekends running ultra marathons and never allows a drop of alcohol to touch his lips. No doubt he stays far away from all caffeinated and carbonated beverages and would sooner die that eat fast food or anything that has ever seen the inside of a fryer. Likely applies his SPF 100+ first thing in the morning and reapplies anytime he will be out in the sun.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

Her message to kids who are bullied is important. People being bullied usually feel alone, ashamed, embarrassed.... We as adults need to share our experiences so kids know that they are not alone....and tht they can have a wonderful life in the future... Even if there are still jerks out there like that lawyer...

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
I disagree with you, Smitch. I think this is entirely appropriate for airing and think they (she) handled it in a very thoughtful, professional manner. What she points out is very true - people think it's okay to make statements like this (don't we sometimes see hurtful things said on this board?). She did say she was willing to let it go, but her husband and co-workers are the ones who stood up for her.
Had the email been sent to the generic station address (like for one of those station "inbox" news segments), I could see it being posted publically, but since it was specifically sent to just her, it was a personal direct email. Had I received it, I would have either deleted it or responded with a message similar to her public response. When I watch the news, I am looking for info on what is happening in my area. I am not looking for 5 minutes of airtime by an anchor who got called obese by one man out of the hudreds of people in the area in which I live.

For the record, I am not trying to argue with anyone, and I certainly see how others feel differently about the topic. These are just my own feelings on the matter.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Honestly, how great of a lawyer could this jerk really be?
If he has the time on his hands to sit down and right such a disgraceful email to a woman who is just doing her job, my guess is he doesn't have too much on his plate.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

what an amazing and intelligent response!!!!

I think his name should be released. He should own it - or he is an even lower form of human being than the message indicates. This speaks to his character and the public should know this and be able to decide for themselves whether or not they want to do business with type of individual.
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenaten View Post
Her message to kids who are bullied is important. People being bullied usually feel alone, ashamed, embarrassed.... We as adults need to share our experiences so kids know that they are not alone....and tht they can have a wonderful life in the future... Even if there are still jerks out there like that lawyer...
Exactly!

Quote:
Had the email been sent to the generic station address (like for one of those station "inbox" news segments), I could see it being posted publically, but since it was specifically sent to just her, it was a personal direct email. Had I received it, I would have either deleted it or responded with a message similar to her public response. When I watch the news, I am looking for info on what is happening in my area. I am not looking for 5 minutes of airtime by an anchor who got called obese by one man out of the hudreds of people in the area in which I live.

For the record, I am not trying to argue with anyone, and I certainly see how others feel differently about the topic. These are just my own feelings on the matter.
You've never seen an editorial piece on local news?
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #24
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
You've never seen an editorial piece on local news?
Not on this personal of a level, no.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I liked her response!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:

I agree. If he had started a website about her, or posted on the news station's Facebook page or otherwise made his letter public then I think a public response would be appropriate. Given that he sent it only to her, I think she should just have deleted and ignored it.

That said, I think I see this differently than everyone else. First, let me say that I think it was completely inappropriate and rude for the guy to send the email. I suspect that will get lost in the rest of what I say so I want to reiterate that I think the guy was completely wrong for sending that email. However, there is increased concern lately for children who are overweight or who have unhealthy diets. Laws are being passed to try to help children avoid unhealthy foods. There are new regulations about school lunches and people are trying to ban unhealthy foods and drinks in some cities. To me, it seems logical that the next step for some people would be to worry about children being exposed to what they see as unhealthy examples. For years many people haven't wanted their kids to see things like smoking and drinking portrayed in a positive light. Many people see someone who is overweight and assume they are that way because of an unhealthy lifestyle. I assume that this woman is well liked and popular on the news or she wouldn't have been on there for so long. The guy might assume that kids would have a more positive outlook about obesity because they like this woman, and they see that lots of other people like her as well. Again, I'm not saying he's right to feel that way but I've seen others express a similar sentiment over the years.

I didn't find his email to be a personal attack, exactly. I think it was rude, but he wasn't attacking her for being fat. He wasn't informing her that she was fat as though she didn't know, or telling her how disgusting he thought she was. He was just asking her to reconsider the example she was setting for the younger viewers of the news. And he did not do it publicly, or try to shame her in front of others. I think he was misguided and rude, but I personally don't think he was bullying her.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not on this personal of a level, no.
I have. A local newscaster did a very similar piece years ago about the hate mail she received about her personal appearance, using it as a springboard to talk about the ways in which women are judged solely on their physical attractiveness and what that judgmentalism and negativity do to the self esteem of girls and women.

I remember it very clearly because she read some of the email -- without names -- on the air and I was disgusted and dismayed. This reporter had done some amazing journalism and broken important news and yet she said that most of her inbox was filled with negative comments about her appearance (which, by the way, is actually quite lovely).

And not only do I remember it, but others do as well. A few months ago my work janitor who is African-American brought that editorical up because he remembered it in light of the fact that his daughter is being harassed at school by boys about her choice to wear her hair naturally (in a closely cropped Afro) rather than having a weave put in. He commented that, "I remember when the reporter talked about how some people in this world thinks women have an obligation to be attractive to random men according to the rules these men set down. Screw 'em, that's what that reporter basically said and that's what I told my daughter."

Last edited by Andtototoo; 10-02-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #28
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I would be interested in knowing more about Mr. Healthy Attorney who wrote the letter. No doubt, he is a true physical specimen who is in perfect condition. Likely always walks, runs, or bikes to work. I'm sure he spends his weekends running ultra marathons and never allows a drop of alcohol to touch his lips. No doubt he stays far away from all caffeinated and carbonated beverages and would sooner die that eat fast food or anything that has ever seen the inside of a fryer. Likely applies his SPF 100+ first thing in the morning and reapplies anytime he will be out in the sun.
You forgot to mention that he also publicly chastises smokers and wouldn't DREAM of lighting up or grabbing a "pinch" himself.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
I agree. If he had started a website about her, or posted on the news station's Facebook page or otherwise made his letter public then I think a public response would be appropriate. Given that he sent it only to her, I think she should just have deleted and ignored it.

That said, I think I see this differently than everyone else. First, let me say that I think it was completely inappropriate and rude for the guy to send the email. I suspect that will get lost in the rest of what I say so I want to reiterate that I think the guy was completely wrong for sending that email. However, there is increased concern lately for children who are overweight or who have unhealthy diets. Laws are being passed to try to help children avoid unhealthy foods. There are new regulations about school lunches and people are trying to ban unhealthy foods and drinks in some cities. To me, it seems logical that the next step for some people would be to worry about children being exposed to what they see as unhealthy examples. For years many people haven't wanted their kids to see things like smoking and drinking portrayed in a positive light. Many people see someone who is overweight and assume they are that way because of an unhealthy lifestyle. I assume that this woman is well liked and popular on the news or she wouldn't have been on there for so long. The guy might assume that kids would have a more positive outlook about obesity because they like this woman, and they see that lots of other people like her as well. Again, I'm not saying he's right to feel that way but I've seen others express a similar sentiment over the years.

I didn't find his email to be a personal attack, exactly. I think it was rude, but he wasn't attacking her for being fat. He wasn't informing her that she was fat as though she didn't know, or telling her how disgusting he thought she was. He was just asking her to reconsider the example she was setting for the younger viewers of the news. And he did not do it publicly, or try to shame her in front of others. I think he was misguided and rude, but I personally don't think he was bullying her.
Very well said.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #30
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I know his name, only because my sister is friends with Jennifer. My sister, as well as Jennifer, are very active in community events/affairs and my sister did not know who he was/is. And La Crosse is not that big.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: