Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #196
Sanchez
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Good for you.

Not everyone is as lucky as you claim to be.
A bit defensive there. I doubt that the drastic rise in obesity is all about luck or lack thereof, though that seems to be the defense many rely on.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #197
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
It's derogatory either way.




Like what? All I've done is watch what I eat.
Men do have an easier time losing weight. That just means if women want to either maintain their weight or lose it that we have to be more aware. I consider housework and playing with my children 2 of the things that have helped me to stay at a good weight. Shoot, that's a lot of exercise!
To work out my arms, I use canned goods. There's an exercise program called flex breathing which is excellent. I have a bad back and can do this with no problem. It's the program that I'm restarting today. It takes 15-20 minutes and really works. My kids crack up at the breathing technique but so what it gives fantastic results.



Maybe she has a thin build and good metabolism. Is it ok for me to make the presumption that the news anchor eats way too much junk food? No, because I don't know how she got heavy.
Not every women has the same metabolism.
C-section vs ******l birth can cause issues.
Breastfeeding can increase your appetite.
Some women suffer PPD.
Lack of sleep can hinder weight loss (working moms of young kids......)

Lots of reasons that MANY women gain weight with pregnancy. It's HUGE change to the body that men don't have to go through. And for someone like this Krause to be so snug about weight to a young mom of 3 burns me beyond belief. Yes I'm assuming she put weight on with children. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. Very strong chance she did as so many women do.

It's not just about watching what you eat. Working full time with young kids at home doesn't always leave a lot of time to work out.

Last edited by CdnCarrie; 10-03-2012 at 02:38 PM.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #198
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
A bit defensive there. I doubt that the drastic rise in obesity is all about luck or lack thereof, though that seems to be the defense many rely on.
You bet I am.

I have PCOS, which makes it incredibly hard to lose weight, even when you're following a sensible diet and exercising like crazy. So yeah, after a few months, when you don't see any results and you're doing everything you're "supposed to", you give up.

Unlike my DH, who decided to drop some weight and took to riding his bike a few times a week, changing nothing else. He's dropped 27 lbs in six weeks.

Stuff like this makes me angry that no matter what I do, I'm still not acceptable to some people, because of what they see on the outside.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #199
FireDancer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 13,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
This was the exact comment posted on FB yesterday by someone I know who is morbidly obese (the video of Jennifer was also linked):

It seems like people that are overweight (fat, obese) are one of the last acceptable groups to target.


I just checked and she had 48 likes and 30 comments heaping praise on her for her posting. There were at least three comments that said, "truer words have never been spoken."

This is what she posted on her FB just two days earlier:

Halloween is just around the corner. A nightmare for thin people. Live a little, embrace life, embrace chocolate. It won't kill you and you might even find you have some extra energy.

She had 56 likes and plenty of, "They just don't know what they are missing" comments.
There is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Had that facebook post read:

Halloween is just around the corner. A nightmare for fat people. Restrain yourselves a little, embrace life, turn down chocolate for a change. It won't kill you and you might even find you have some extra energy.

Does anyone think there would be 56 likes? Both of the posts are not really all that different.

Anyway, it was just something I heard this morning and it stood out so I thought I'd bring it here and see what everyone thought.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #200
jujube
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Not every women has the same metabolism.
C-section vs ******l birth can cause issues.
Breastfeeding can increase your appetite.
Some women suffer PPD.

Lots of reasons that MANY women gain weight with pregnancy. It's HUGE change to the body that men don't have to go through. And for someone like this Krause to be so snug about weight to a young mom of 3 burns me beyond belief. Yes I'm assuming she put weight on with children. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. Very strong chance she did as so many women do.
I had c sections. Metabolism can be changed through exercise. It's kind of like you have 3 students, one doesn't have to study and makes straight As, one has to glance at their notes and makes As and the third student has to really study and gets As. All are A students but it takes a different amount of effort for each of them to achieve the grade.
If anyone, including new mothers, experience depression, they need to get to their doctor. Back when I had my first 2 children, PPD was not recognized by doctors. Now, it is. There's help and I would encourage seeking it. Depression besides making a person feel sad also has a negative effect on metabolism.
Pregnancy without a doubt causes crazy hormonal changes. In some women the hormonal changes would affect the way they gain/lose weight. Some though have the attitude that because they're pregnant, they can eat whatever and as much as they like.

Last edited by jujube; 10-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #201
Sanchez
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
You bet I am.

I have PCOS, which makes it incredibly hard to lose weight, even when you're following a sensible diet and exercising like crazy. So yeah, after a few months, when you don't see any results and you're doing everything you're "supposed to", you give up.

Unlike my DH, who decided to drop some weight and took to riding his bike a few times a week, changing nothing else. He's dropped 27 lbs in six weeks.

Stuff like this makes me angry that no matter what I do, I'm still not acceptable to some people, because of what they see on the outside.
I think you are proving Firedancer's point. In your mind it is justifiable to attack Jujube because she is thin. However, if I questioned you on the details of your "sensible diet" and that you are "exercising like crazy" I suspect that your response would not be pleasant.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #202
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
I think you are proving Firedancer's point. In your mind it is justifiable to attack Jujube because she is thin. However, if I questioned you on the details of your "sensible diet" and that you are "exercising like crazy" I suspect that your response would not be pleasant.
You can ask.

I won't bother answering, but go ahead.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #203
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
He told her to change because he doesn't like the way she looks now, is what it boils down to.
And that, in a nutshell, is why we can't have candid and honest discussions about obesity and health - because in a lot of people's minds, it is primarily an issue of appearance rather than one of lifestyle/habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Good for you but not all women are like that.

Studies have shown that men lose weight easier than women.
Studies have also shown that men do less housework/childcare than women leaving them with more free time to workout.
Men don't go through pregnancy or have the fluctuating hormones that can cause women to gain weight.

Men have it much easier in the weight department.
Not to mention no birth control. I swear that's what did me in. Every time I tried a different hormonal birth control I gained more weight and had a harder time losing it even after coming off the meds. The 9 months I was on depo provera alone account for 3/4 of the weight I've been trying to lose for the last too many years. I suspect that somewhere along the line I permanently set my metabolism to "comatose slug" rather than "active 30-something" and try as I might I haven't found the secret to undoing that. But since I don't want to breed the next Duggar family it was one of those necessary evils in life during the years before we were ready for permanent measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
I don't know about fixation, but we should certainly focus on the obesity problem. The statistics are staggering and the myriad of health problems related to obesity need to be considered. Just as we have a responsibility to educate our children to provide them with appropriate opportunity in life we should also teach them a healthy lifestyle. (And this is where someone usually chimes in that even though they are overweight/obese they are healthy.) One can be overweight/obese and have "good statistics" but the percentages are against those body types avoiding significant health problems.
I think a good first step would be to redefine the problem based on something other than than the admittedly flawed BMI measure. Body fat percentage, waist-to-height ratios, and a number of other quick, easily measured gauges exist that do a better job of accounting for differences in body type and build, including many of the variations that account for "overweight but healthy" by the BMI measure.

But if BMI is to remain the measure of choice we need a redefining of how BMI is applied for children, to a fixed standard similar to what is used for adults rather than percentiles. It makes no sense that a young man who is at an acceptable BMI for an adult of his size should be defined as overweight or obese because he's bigger than his peers, but you find that all the time with student athletes. I don't care what the experts say, a teenage boy wearing a 30" or 32" waist uniform isn't obese by any stretch of the imagination and labeling them as such only serves to make people skeptical of the whole "obesity epidemic" issue as a whole.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #204
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
I had c sections. Metabolism can be changed through exercise. It's kind of like you have 3 students, one doesn't have to study and makes straight As, one has to glance at their notes and makes As and the third student has to really study and gets As. All are A students but it takes a different amount of effort for each of them to achieve the grade.
If anyone, including new mothers, experience depression, they need to get to their doctor. Back when I had my first 2 children, PPD was not recognized by doctors. Now, it is. There's help and I would encourage seeking it. Depression besides making a person feel sad also has a negative effect on metabolism.
Pregnancy without a doubt causes crazy hormonal changes. In some women the hormonal changes would affect the way they gain/lose weight. Some though have the attitude that because they're pregnant, they can eat whatever and as much as they like.

Just burns my chaps to see a MAN calling out a women with young children on her weight. He has NO idea what we go through. NONE.
Again I'm assuming that it's POSSIBLE as a mom of 3 young kids her weight MAY be related to child bearing/rearing.

But until a MAN goes through c-section, hormonal changes, breastfeeding, PPD they have absolutely no grounds in making any kind of comments about the weight of a young mother.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #205
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
I think you are proving Firedancer's point. In your mind it is justifiable to attack Jujube because she is thin. However, if I questioned you on the details of your "sensible diet" and that you are "exercising like crazy" I suspect that your response would not be pleasant.
She was calling Jujube out as she was being smug at how easy her weight came off after giving birth.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #206
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
And that, in a nutshell, is why we can't have candid and honest discussions about obesity and health - because in a lot of people's minds, it is primarily an issue of appearance rather than one of lifestyle/habits.



Not to mention no birth control. I swear that's what did me in. Every time I tried a different hormonal birth control I gained more weight and had a harder time losing it even after coming off the meds. The 9 months I was on depo provera alone account for 3/4 of the weight I've been trying to lose for the last too many years. I suspect that somewhere along the line I permanently set my metabolism to "comatose slug" rather than "active 30-something" and try as I might I haven't found the secret to undoing that. But since I don't want to breed the next Duggar family it was one of those necessary evils in life during the years before we were ready for permanent measures.


OM freaking G heck yes! Birth control pills made me gain 10 lbs!

Condoms don't do that to a man!
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #207
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time
 
Kennywife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: online
Posts: 1,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
I think you are proving Firedancer's point. In your mind it is justifiable to attack Jujube because she is thin. However, if I questioned you on the details of your "sensible diet" and that you are "exercising like crazy" I suspect that your response would not be pleasant.
Just because it is easy for some to lose weight doesn't mean it is easy for everyone. This one size fits all really doesn't work for everybody. What happened to different strokes? So some of us are plus size and some are not. And? So? Does that mean that those of us who are larger are ugly or unattractive? NO. It's who we are and I get so tired of this attitude that everyone must look exactly alike to be accepted. People come in ALL shapes and sizes, that's what makes them beautiful.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #208
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
See, its okay for you to say that, but what if Kiera was 200lbs and you said that? You'd be raked through the coals here, and elsewhere.
It really shouldn't be about the size of a person and how they got that way. It should be about that person being happy with themselves however they are. That is what a good body image is about.

But the fact is that if a model or actress goes to some extreme to change her body--intentionally, not by gaining weight because she is pregnant or whatever--then she is going to influence a young girl in the wrong way.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #209
Sanchez
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post
Just because it is easy for some to lose weight doesn't mean it is easy for everyone. This one size fits all really doesn't work for everybody. What happened to different strokes? So some of us are plus size and some are not. And? So? Does that mean that those of us who are larger are ugly or unattractive? NO. It's who we are and I get so tired of this attitude that everyone must look exactly alike to be accepted. People come in ALL shapes and sizes, that's what makes them beautiful.
Aside from the opportunity to express your platitudes, I am not sure of the point of this. I never said that it was easy for everyone to lose weight or that everyone needs to be the same. The point is that it appears to be acceptable to attack those who are thin and not acceptable to attack those who are not.

If you are happy with the way you are then you are to be congratulated. It really makes no difference to me.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #210
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
It's derogatory either way.




Like what? All I've done is watch what I eat.
Men do have an easier time losing weight. That just means if women want to either maintain their weight or lose it that we have to be more aware. I consider housework and playing with my children 2 of the things that have helped me to stay at a good weight. Shoot, that's a lot of exercise!
To work out my arms, I use canned goods. There's an exercise program called flex breathing which is excellent. I have a bad back and can do this with no problem. It's the program that I'm restarting today. It takes 15-20 minutes and really works. My kids crack up at the breathing technique but so what it gives fantastic results.



Maybe she has a thin build and good metabolism. Is it ok for me to make the presumption that the news anchor eats way too much junk food? No, because I don't know how she got heavy.
Maybe she does. I have no idea, I was just saying what the assumption is. And that assumption comes from her being a relatively normal weight in one movie and then being extremely thin in the next one.

Its great that you have been able to keep your weight down and it sounds like you worked hard at it. That doesn't make it ok for you to assume that others can do the same. Its not that easy for everyone. There are many roadblocks in weight loss, especially when it's more than 2 lbs.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.